Question for the Beer Knurds

Not a fan of flavored beers, but had Southern Tier Pumking today. Amazing!

Is this available in Baltimore? I am heading there this weekend and was hoping to find some. If not, is there a similar tasting beer out there?

Blog Entries

Re: Question for the Beer Knurds

Why yes, it is.

However, if you want a really good Pumpkin beer...Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin is THE best one out there this year IMO...and I am a man who loves fall beers. I liked Pumking, but I thought this years iteration was too sweet. Last year had more spice to it (nutmeg and all spice in the secondary fermentation stage). I think this year they added brown sugar and vanilla instead of (or in addition to) the spices.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Question for the Beer Knurds

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Why yes, it is.

However, if you want a really good Pumpkin beer...Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin is THE best one out there this year IMO...and I am a man who loves fall beers. I liked Pumking, but I thought this years iteration was too sweet. Last year had more spice to it (nutmeg and all spice in the secondary fermentation stage). I think this year they added brown sugar and vanilla instead of (or in addition to) the spices.
    I am a big fan of pumpkin beers and I would personally say that the Pumpking is better than the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, but not really by a lot. I love the Pumpking. If you decide to try the Shipyard (and you should!) be careful you don't get the Pumpkinhead. They have two different pumpkin beers that are vastly different. Can't say I much like the Pumpkinhead myself.

Oh, and I would recommend the Blue Moon pumpkin as well. I don't like Blue Moon at all but I was pleasantly surprised by their pumpkin.

Blog Entries

Agree with Callahan. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, Pugsley Signature Series is the way to go.

I wasn't crazy about last years Blue Moon...I'll give it a try this year. I also like Dogfish Head Punkin.

I am working my way through an Oktoberfest that I brewed, so I haven't really bought much beer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Agree with Callahan. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, Pugsley Signature Series is the way to go.

I wasn't crazy about last years Blue Moon...I'll give it a try this year. I also like Dogfish Head Punkin.

I am working my way through an Oktoberfest that I brewed, so I haven't really bought much beer.
    Ive always had a thing for Dogfish's. I think I actually prefer it in a bottle rather than my kegerator though. I think that little bit of sediment makes a big difference in flavor.

I think I had Blue Moons and wasnt overly impress, but still thought it was decent. maybe my expectations were too high as i do like their Belgin style beers, even if it is owned by Coors.

speaking of big beer, i was actually impressed with Jacks pumpkin spice from Michelob of all places. I thought it was a good batch 2 years ago at least.

I had Braaaaiins from springhouse for the first time. The bar i was at rimmed the glass with cinnamon and sugar so im not sure how accurate my opinion is, but i wasnt overly impressed. I think I had too much cinnamon that made it have a bitter taste. If youre into Pumpkin beers id give it a shot though.

Ill have to check out Shipyard and southern tier again, im pretty sure i had those a year ago and remember their name, so they must have been good. With my Kegerator down and PA beer laws changing somewhat (grocery store by my work has a better selection than the 6 pack place by my house), its been nice to go out and get some mixed match six-packs instead of a 1/6 of the same thing. Years past i just go get DFH pumpkin and LBC Winter Warmer for the football season and be set.
    -JAB

Do any Texas beers make it up that way?

Houston has two phenomenal breweries -- Karbach and St Arnold's. I'm a beer neophyte but I've never had a bad beer from either. Just varying degrees of good to great.

Karbach's Hopadillo IPA in particular is great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Houston has two phenomenal breweries -- Karbach and St Arnold's. I'm a beer neophyte but I've never had a bad beer from either. Just varying degrees of good to great.

St. Arnold's sounds familiar, but Karbach's I've not heard of.

I am pretty buddy-buddy with the local brew shops around Frederick, MD...so if they get new stuff, I'd hear it from them.

The only real Texas beer we see up around here that I can think of right now is Shiner, which is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I don't recall ever seeing either of those myself.

Sitting in a bar in Fells, enjoying a Union Craft Brewing "Balt Alt". Very tasty!

Blog Entries

I had Stone's "w00tstout" tonight, wow. That is an intense beer.

It is an Imperial Double stout aged with bourbon chips. The thing is 13%. You really get a lot of the bourbon hints as well.

Not a beer you drink quickly though. Def a sipper.

Tried the Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin last night. Tasty, but not better than Pumking IMO.

I prefer the spice in Pumking over Shipyard. Still a good beer though.