Growing Up Colts - A Family Affair

Well, since this is about the Colts Heritage, I have quite a few stories I could share but will limit it. I started going to games in 1971 when I was 5 years old. It was a family affair, my Aunts and Uncles had season tickets, and my Mom and Grandmom, so it was a blast on Gameday, remember when they still had bathroom assistants to hand out paper towels when you were done? LOLOL. I was at the blowout playoff game when Donald Croner decided to ram his plane into the upper deck, I can still remember smelling the fuel from his plane. After Marty Domres retired, he sat 3 rows down in front of us, funny, he always wore a mink coat when it was cold out.

I think the most memorable game was the win in the dense fog by a Tony Linhardt field goal, RIP Tony.

Not many people got to know Johnny U and his wife Sandy on a personal level, my Mom got to, on a casual level while she was part of Colts Corral #1. I had had foot surgery when I was like 10 years old and he had come to Children's Hospital to visit the kid in the room with me and just by chance ran in to my Mom. He did work with those afflicted with Dwarfism. He signed my cast, and talked for a bit and then was invited by him to the Golden Arm for dinner when they were still doing the Talk Radio Show there.

So this was just a little story, I could stay on here and go on and on and on. I just remember my days at the Worlds Loudest Outdoor Insane Asylum as being some of the best times of my life, the memories are there forever.

Blog Entries

Re: Growing Up Colts - A Family Affair

Great stories. Thanks. Keep them coming.

That wasn't the only game in the fog. There was in Dec 65 vs the Packers.
    The fog was so thick you couldn't see the field.

The Colts concentrated on shutting down their great power sweep with Jim Taylor
    but forgot about Paul HOrning who scored 5 TDs including 2 passes from
    Star of 50 and 65 yards in the fog. Unitas was out. Colts finished season 9-3-1
    w/o Unitas while GB was 10-3.

It was called the Fog Bowl.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...6512120clt.htm
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-28-2013 at 03:36 AM.

When I was a child growing up in Baltimore in the early 60's, before I became a well-informed, serious fan, I remember how important the Baltimore Colts seemed to be to members of my family and to close friends and neighbors. My earliest impression was that the Colts were like extended family even though relatives and neighbors were mostly only casual fans. If you lived in the Baltimore area, you were expected to be loyal to the home team. So I learned, at a very early age, that people around me were naturally happier when the Colts won and naturally disappointed when they lost. Because of my love of those people, Colt games became important to me.

CC

Blog Entries

And it's still that way with the Ravens.

When they lose it messes up your entire week.