Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Evidence why Cam was fired

"After viewing NFL Films’ “America’s Game: 2012 Baltimore Ravens,” which premiered at Patricia & Arthur Modell Performing Arts Center at The Lyric Tuesday, Peter King was struck by a conversation between Flacco and former offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

The Sports Illustrated writer says the exchange provided “more evidence why [the] Ravens fired Cam” with three games remaining in the 2012 season.

Their cameras captured Joe Flacco complaining to Cameron during one frustrating game: ‘We’re playing too conservative .... In order to win a Super Bowl, we can’t play like this. I’m not trying to argue with you—I’m just telling you what we need to do.
    ’”"
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-a8da70ee83ff

Now, the above is new previously unknown info, but couple it with some other tidbits form the recent past:

"The Rave TV show 1 Winning Drive is appointment viewing for me every week (airs Mondays at 5 PM on Comcast SportsNet). The show offers sideline sights and sounds for every single Ravens game, giving us a unique look at the goings-on behind the scenes.

This week, the Rave TV cameras captured a very interesting exchange between Anquan Boldin and Cam Cameron.

During the conversation, Boldin said, “Cam, when we’re in slot, and we go [with three wide receivers], everything in the middle, they’re sitting on,” referring to Chargers defenders anticipating the routes of the Ravens receivers.

They’re waiting on the outs because the only thing we’re running is the outs, option and dodge,” Boldin then said, practically validating our assumption that Cameron’s “route tree” looks more like a Steelers fan’s family true – a trunk with no branches.
    "
    http://russellstreetreport.com/boldi...e-same-routes/

And then view all of this in light of many recent comments Flacco has made regarding having better communication with Caldwell:

"But he was extremely positive about the many hours he has spent “in the classroom” with Caldwell, watching films and discussing various plays.

“The biggest thing has been the conversations we’ve had about certain plays and how we can throw or do that a little better, or take a different way to think about something,” Flacco said. “The conversations have been great.
    http://www.comcastsportsnet.com/land...29&feedID=6703

“He's just so receptive,” Flacco said of Caldwell. "The communication is great, and it's because he listens to me and I listen to him, and it's cool to work that way.”
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...ld-average-joe

It seems pretty clear:
    Cam was rigid, unrecepetive, and unwilling to shake out of his comfort zone. This is shown by Flacco telling him we need to be more aggressive. By Boldin telling him we that the other teams knew our routes.

Caldwell appears to be the exact opposite.

Re: Evidence why Cam was fired

I have said it before to as many people who will listen to me - however, not here until just recently.

The biggest impediment to Joe Flacco's entry into the Football Hall of Fame has been removed - CAM CAMERON. From here on out it is only a matter of time.

Blog Entries

I think it always comes back to the game at Cincinnati week 2 2010. It was year 3 for Joe and it looked like the offense was going to be opened up. Flacco throws 4 interceptions that game and Cam pulls hard on the reins and never really loosens them. That was the game where Cam stopped trusting Joe and he never seemed to change his mind.

Thanks for cobbling together stuff from multiple sources. I remember hearing various people on Sirius NFL talking about how the Ravens O under Cam was very predictable & vanilla. No links, but the work you put in here squares up with a number of interviews (opposing players, on-air hosts, retired players) about why our offense wasn't top tier.

If the OL gives Joe time......he will throw to any open receiver. While we may lack name recognition w/the loss of Boldin (helped rebuild the D w/the cap savings) & Pitta (just bad luck & I was counting on him to be huge this year), we may make up for it with "quantity". Torrey, Jacoby, Ray Rice, Dickson, Juice, Leach, Bajema/Furst/Clark, Stokely. None (other than Torrey) may rack up impressive fantasy numbers, we may see a lot of box scores with 9-10 guys having receptions. Joe may have to rely on Joe's ability to find the open guy, not relyon 1 or 2 key guys. It's the next step in his evolution as a top flight QB. I think he'll flourish.

Blog Entries

Is anyone really surprised? I think Cam did a great job with Joe early on in his career, but Joe definitely plateaued with Cam. This is why I'm not worried about the offense at all. They may have some growing pains early on, but I"m confident that Joe and the offense will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    I have said it before to as many people who will listen to me - however, not here until just recently.

The biggest impediment to Joe Flacco's entry into the Football Hall of Fame has been removed - CAM CAMERON. From here on out it is only a matter of time.
    Cam did his part early in Joe's career and helped Joe develop. But, it was time for him to go. Cam was integral in the development of Joe but held him back when it was time to cut Joe lose. Now it's Stage 2!

Blog Entries

I don't want to throw a guy under the bus....repeatedly...over and over and OVER again...

but it's clear when watching the team formations this year, the Ravens have creativity in all sorts of new places going on. Remains to be seen how much more or less effective it will be, but certainly would seem like the offense is enjoying this new freedom.

Caldwell's results in the playoffs speak to that in a big way, and that was just a LIMITED implementation of his gameplan.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Thanks for this fantastic post. Nothing here that would surprise anyone who has been paying attention, but it's still great to see this all pieced together. Sadly, this is better work than anything I see published in the sun.

On a side note, I think it's great that the Ravens as a team rarely air out their dirty laundry. This is clearly one of Harbaugh's core values. We knew of the issues between the players and Cam all along but never once did Flacco vent his frustrations directly to the press.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-a8da70ee83ff

Now, the above is new previously unknown info, but couple it with some other tidbits form the recent past:

http://russellstreetreport.com/boldi...e-same-routes/

And then view all of this in light of many recent comments Flacco has made regarding having better communication with Caldwell:

http://www.comcastsportsnet.com/land...29&feedID=6703

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...ld-average-joe

It seems pretty clear:
    Cam was rigid, unrecepetive, and unwilling to shake out of his comfort zone. This is shown by Flacco telling him we need to be more aggressive. By Boldin telling him we that the other teams knew our routes.

Caldwell appears to be the exact opposite.

Cam's offense was not a fit for the personnel. He needed a dominant oline and running game and deep threats on the outside. We never had a great oline and at times it was average at best. Only true deep threat was Tsmith last year. Boldin on the outside was not a good fit for Cam's offense. We never were able to run over teams the San Diego did with LT or Minny does with AP. Boldin could not beat teams deep. The oline could not impose its will nor block long enough for the deep routes. He did not change or adjust and the offense was stagnant against good defenses. He got fired and Caldwell tailored the offense to the personnel and the team had success.

Blog Entries

Id say that was certainly part of the problem which youve clearly laid out here. Probably the main issue when you put it all together like that. Theres a reason people got the feeling Joe and Cam didnt get along despite not hearing these convos first hand. Makes you wonder if Zorn really was fired because he got along with Joe so well.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think it always comes back to the game at Cincinnati week 2 2010. It was year 3 for Joe and it looked like the offense was going to be opened up. Flacco throws 4 interceptions that game and Cam pulls hard on the reins and never really loosens them. That was the game where Cam stopped trusting Joe and he never seemed to change his mind.
    Admittedly, he started the next game with another near pick 6. Still, it happens. He got his bell rung week 1 against the Jets. I wonder if he didn't have a concussion that he didn't tell anyone about. Realistically, as they become more aggressive, there's gonna be more picks. Goes with territory, at least in the beginning. I'd rather they start to attack more and take the occaisonal interception.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Certainly a good observation.

Also makes you wonder how much/little influence Harbs really had on the offense?

Maybe Harbs was just flat out a "hands off" guy when it came to the offense?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.