Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Rooting for Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    Yeah sad to say, but it is part of the game. I would imagine that Geno is thrilled with Sanchize going down. I bet Jets fans wish they would both go down. Ouch.
    That's a really good example.

I've never understood why a low level player fighting for a roster wouldn't root for injuries. I mean, granted they shouldn't pull a Nancy Kerrigan or physically try to hurt players on the practice field through dirty plays, but there are two ways to make a roster: be good enough, or be in the right place at the right time.

There's no honor or glory in watching your teammates succeed when you're cut, getting fatter having to decide what the next step of your life is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    There's no honor or glory in watching your teammates succeed when you're cut, getting fatter having to decide what the next step of your life is.
    I don't think you understand the meaning of the word honor.

Blog Entries

I've never understood why a low level player fighting for a roster wouldn't root for injuries. I mean, granted they shouldn't pull a Nancy Kerrigan or physically try to hurt players on the practice field through dirty plays, but there are two ways to make a roster: be good enough, or be in the right place at the right time.

There is no honor in wanting to see your teammates hurt so you can play, but there is honor in working your ass off and getting better than the guy in front of you.

Not everyone is cut out for the NFL.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Packers RB Dujuan Harris out for year, James Starks keeps his roster spot. Wonder if he is happy about it.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    Packers RB Dujuan Harris out for year, James Starks keeps his roster spot. Wonder if he is happy about it.....
    I'm sure he is relieved, but at the same time I sincerely doubt he wanted to see Harris go down for the year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm sure he is relieved, but at the same time I sincerely doubt he wanted to see Harris go down for the year.
    It's hard to know. Starks was hurt before his rookie season. He ended up on PUP and might have been close to an injury settlement. This guy has been on the other side of this. Once given a chance he started for the Packers in the Super Bowl. That was only 3 years ago. I'm sure he still thinks he can be the man if given a shot and now he gets a little closer to getting that shot.

There is no honor in wanting to see your teammates hurt so you can play, but there is honor in working your ass off and getting better than the guy in front of you.

They're all working their asses off. They're all talented. They're all going all-in on a career in pro football. Unless you're drafted in the first five rounds, your ability to make the team is usually in other people's hands. Everybody's a team player and rah rah for the team until they're told to turn their playbook in. Trust me, there's no glory in not being on an NFL roster or practice squad on week 1.

Blog Entries

They're all working their asses off. They're all talented. They're all going all-in on a career in pro football. Unless you're drafted in the first five rounds, your ability to make the team is usually in other people's hands. Everybody's a team player and rah rah for the team until they're told to turn their playbook in. Trust me, there's no glory in not being on an NFL roster or practice squad on week 1.
    I dont necessarily disagree with what you're saying about how a lot of low round/UDFA guys needing something to happen to other roster spots in order for them to make the team.

I just adamantly disagree with players wanting their teammates to get hurt in order for them to make the team.

If they're good enough, they don't need injuries to make the team. They'll be "IR'ed" for the year or something if they are in a log jam at their position.

Blog Entries

PFT had an interesting and realistic view of this from last nights episode of Hard Knocks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ctice-goes-on/

Life in NFL training camp is like that: A player goes down, sees his dream die, and the rest of the guys just have to move along and get back to work. Shortly after Joiner was taken off the field, Bengals linebackers coach Paul Guenther delivered a blunt message to the linebackers that Joiner’s injury would give the rest of them a better chance of making the team.

“We had another one of our guys go down today, so understand: You young guys are going to get plenty of opportunities,” Guenther said.

That’s the training camp life that Hard Knocks demonstrates. One minute a player is suffering a serious injury, and the next minute the rest of the team is moving on without him.

Well said!
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Awesome.