Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Things in Syria could get interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hussein had WMDs, he used chemical weapons on the Iranians and Kurds as well as others.

I was against going into Iraq but the fact is Hussein did have WMDs.
    Had WMD's at one time.

Difference between Iraq and Syria is Syria is using them currently whereas Hussein used them 10+ years prior to the start of the invasion.

I still don't feel this use of chemical weapons is justification for a bombing or a strike though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Had WMD's at one time.

Difference between Iraq and Syria is Syria is using them currently whereas Hussein used them 10+ years prior to the start of the invasion.

I still don't feel this use of chemical weapons is justification for a bombing or a strike though.

I think the use of chemical weapons is a good basis for UN intervention or possibly NATO...but not direct intervention from the US.

There are FAR too many other peripheral consequences over there.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Had WMD's at one time.

He still had them, he just hid them They may be the same ones Syria is using today. He didn't suddenly decide he didn't want them, the guy was a power hungry Nebuchadnezzar wannabe.

That said, invading was still a big mistake.

Agree with most everyone here... what a huge mess. I truly hope the U.S. doesn't get involved. Yet somehow I feel we will.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hussein had WMDs, he used chemical weapons on the Iranians and Kurds as well as others.

I was against going into Iraq but the fact is Hussein did have WMDs.
    Yeah, I wasn't very clear. There were some chemcial weapons in Iraq, in fact, a few were actually found in the years after the conventional war. But they were low quality, older weapons, not a result of the modern mobile production facilities Gen Powell was (apparently) led to believe existed.

And, that's my point. Understanding there have been intelligence failures in the past, how can we be sure that the Syrian government 1. was the entity that used the chemicals or 2. is the only entity using chemical weapons?

As I think you stated in another post, the weapons being used now may very well have come from Iraq; the agent appears to be non-persistent and was apparently dispersed from modified conventional weapons. As such, it could have been used by any number of parties. That worries me. Who might we actually be supporting by hurting Assad?

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't very clear. There were some chemcial weapons in Iraq, in fact, a few were actually found in the years after the conventional war. But they were low quality, older weapons, not a result of the modern mobile production facilities Gen Powell was (apparently) led to believe existed.

And, that's my point. Understanding there have been intelligence failures in the past, how can we be sure that the Syrian government 1. was the entity that used the chemicals or 2. is the only entity using chemical weapons?

As I think you stated in another post, the weapons being used now may very well have come from Iraq; the agent appears to be non-persistent and was apparently dispersed from modified conventional weapons. As such, it could have been used by any number of parties. That worries me. Who might we actually be supporting by hurting Assad?
    Same people who also want to kill Americans. It's a no win situation getting involved in Syria.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I am still waiting for someone to make the case of what is happening internally to Syria, among their own government and citizens, has any bearing of the security of the United States. Whether they are using chemical weapons or not.

As a citizen of the world, it tears me up to see what the human race is capable of doing to each other. As a citizen of the United States, I see no good reason why American soldiers have to die (again) to (attempt to) do something about it.

But then again, when you put $3.7 trillion dollars into your military budget (spent on Iraq and Afghanistan), you gotta do something more than just patrol the coasts and borders, right?
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 08-30-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Obama to seek approval from Congress to strike Syria.

No boots on the ground. Just air strikes and Naval strikes.

...and people say Republicans are war mongers?

Got a prediction. First US strike will happen on the night of Sept. 5th.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

No boots on the ground. Just air strikes and Naval strikes.

He committed himself with "tough" rhetoric. A stupid but not uncommon mistake. Still, I'm sick of him and everybody else in that damn town.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    He committed himself with "tough" rhetoric. A stupid but not uncommon mistake. Still, I'm sick of him and everybody else in that damn town.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He's "consulting" with Congress. No way he has the balls to to ask Congress for a yes/no vote (like the UK did).

The military-security-industrial complex knows no party lines. At least Bush put the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq up for a vote in Congress.