Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Everything Guns (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    Very nice HR. I just purchased this from Amazon a few hours ago.

Attachment 2756

I prefer the combination over the biometric.
    I think every gun owner should have that for home defense. Quick easy access and you can keep it loaded. really good idea.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Check out this video of a self defense shooting in Brazil ....

http://www.correiodeuberlandia.com.b...27368164062500

If you have a garage as I do, this is a very vulnerable area of personal protection. Keep your head on a swivel when you're getting home.
    wrong hombre.

not only was he clearly expecting some sort of attack to react so quickly... he had video surveillance set up on top of it. my spanish is rusty, anybody know the gist of the article? id like to know if he had issues prior.

your point about garages is a good one. most people are busy getting their shit or thinking about something else to even bother watching the door close. Which is why im curious how this guy was so on point.
    -JAB

Why is it clear he was expecting an attack? If you ever take a close quarters combat class, defensive pistol class, etc, this is exactly what they train you on -- situational awareness, quick draw, point shooting, securing the scene, etc.

This was an off duty Brazilian police officer who was being car jacked while his wife was in the car. If you'll notice, the passenger door opens first. I'd bet once he noticed his garage door was opening back up, he saw the intruder and pulled his weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    Very nice HR. I just purchased this from Amazon a few hours ago.

Attachment 2756

I prefer the combination over the biometric.
    Sorry I missed this. What's the brand? I'm intrigued and want to read more about this.

Blog Entries

Why is it clear he was expecting an attack? If you ever take a close quarters combat class, defensive pistol class, etc, this is exactly what they train you on -- situational awareness, quick draw, point shooting, securing the scene, etc.

This was an off duty Brazilian police officer who was being car jacked while his wife was in the car. If you'll notice, the passenger door opens first. I'd bet once he noticed his garage door was opening back up, he saw the intruder and pulled his weapon.
    off duty police makes sense. kind of conditioned for such a thing. I dont think the typical person reacts so quickly, thats all.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    off duty police makes sense. kind of conditioned for such a thing. I dont think the typical person reacts so quickly, thats all.
    A properly trained gun owner does. Happens daily.

Cops don't have any mystical power here. Anyone can learn these skills with an even modest amount of training.

Blog Entries

A properly trained gun owner does. Happens daily.

Cops don't have any mystical power here. Anyone can learn these skills with an even modest amount of training.
    true, but coming from somebody that has been trained personally and professionally I think you have a hard time relating to those that arent. I still think its a lot more common to not be properly trained in general. How many people take that close combat course? how many arent police/military trained to begin with? theyd be better off if they did but i dont think thats the majority of gun owners, even if it should be.

In that situation, I think he acted quickly when most people probably wouldnt have even noticed the door wasnt down until they got out of the car, which would have been far too late. thats all i was implying. Hes a police officer, so hes been trained to react quickly. Might not be the only reason, but it makes sense to me why a police officer would be one of those that would.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Funny this thread popped up.

Last night at 2:30 my wife wakes up and says something like "that's the front door" rubbing my eyes I said "huh???" wife says "someone is at the front door" (or knocking at the front door, something like that). Both of us thinking it might be a neighbor or my brother (who is also a neighbor) or a friend of mine, she goes down stairs to peak through a window and see who it it (while I still try to figure out what day it is).

She peaks out the window and there is this stranger, singing, drinking beer, saying let me in as he's knocking on the door, ringing the doorbell and turning the knob. She then runs upstairs to tell me to grab my gun, and calls the police. I grab the 380 I just bought and sit on my stairs which is points right at my front door. After a minute or so (your awareness of time when your adrenaline is pumping is very off) he tries to turn the knob and come in again, so I decided to go get my 45 as well thinking this guy could be on drugs and I'll need all the firepower I can handle.

Now... it turned out this guy was drunk and was at the wrong house. My neighbors across the street were expecting him (which is why he was saying let me in, singing, knocking etc. but at 2:30 in the morning in a house with 2 little girls you're not thinking about that).

So what's the point of all this. "when seconds matter the cops are just minutes away" isn't just some saying. After calling 911 and getting transferred from one 911 operator to another asking what county we were in, to another asking if we were in city limits, to another saying they'd send the sheriff, 15 minutes later the cops show up. By this time the neighbors and/or the guy realized they were at the wrong house and had left ours. But in 15 minutes had this guy been there to do harm to my family he could have killed us all 3 times over had we not been the ability to defend ourselves.

When seconds matter the cops ARE minutes away. Get a gun and learn to shoot.
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 05-21-2015 at 08:45 AM.

true, but coming from somebody that has been trained personally and professionally I think you have a hard time relating to those that arent. I still think its a lot more common to not be properly trained in general. How many people take that close combat course? how many arent police/military trained to begin with? theyd be better off if they did but i dont think thats the majority of gun owners, even if it should be.
    I totally disagree, especially in the world of people who carry concealed. They tend to be shooting enthusiasts and take their training seriously.

It may certainly be the case in Maryland, I'll grant you that. Carrying in Maryland is next to impossible and even finding adequate training classes is a task next to impossible.

In that situation, I think he acted quickly when most people probably wouldnt have even noticed the door wasnt down until they got out of the car, which would have been far too late. thats all i was implying. Hes a police officer, so hes been trained to react quickly. Might not be the only reason, but it makes sense to me why a police officer would be one of those that would.
    Agreed. Sounded as though you thought he may be paranoid or something.

Blog Entries

Sorry I missed this. What's the brand? I'm intrigued and want to read more about this.
    Speed Vault

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...414427.4414433

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Nice. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I totally disagree, especially in the world of people who carry concealed. They tend to be shooting enthusiasts and take their training seriously.

It may certainly be the case in Maryland, I'll grant you that. Carrying in Maryland is next to impossible and even finding adequate training classes is a task next to impossible.
    agree to disagree. I live in PA. Surrounded by gun enthusiasts including most of my closest friends. they go shooting regularly. are good, responsible gun owners as far as safety, storage, etc, imo (cant say thats 100% but close). I dont know of one thats gone to a class for close combat as you suggest. gun safety, definitely. shooting, sure. situational close combat? no. I dont disagree they should but I have not seen that personally. thats also taking into account civilians vs police/military. I know police have that training as well as military to some extent but even them as far as taking additional training i havent heard of. Youre the only one ive actually heard of taking such a course.

Agreed. Sounded as though you thought he may be paranoid or something.
    I can see how it came off like that. I just felt he was prepared, where others wouldnt necessarily be. civilian without training, my thought would be he had problems in the past and knew to be ready. trained civilian/police accounts for it another way.
    -JAB