Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Everything Guns (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If you're going to commit a B&E in Texas, you better bring something larger than .22. ;)
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know what the rules are when traveling through or to Maryland with a gun?

For example, say I'm traveling to PA from NC and every state but MD (of course) will honor my concealed carry permit, what would I do with my gun while in MD?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Does anyone know what the rules are when traveling through or to Maryland with a gun?

For example, say I'm traveling to PA from NC and every state but MD (of course) will honor my concealed carry permit, what would I do with my gun while in MD?
    I'd advise to go around MD if you're going to travel with a gun. In MD, you're only permitted to transport a firearm between your residence and a shooting range, shooting sporting event (i.e. hunting), gunsmith or your owned business.

If you're going to risk it, put the gun in the trunk unloaded and in a hard, lockable case. If the extremely unlikely chance you get stopped and they request to search the vehicle, politely decline. Make sure the ammo is not in the trunk along with the gun.

Blog Entries

I'm about to purchase my first firearm. I've been to the range with a couple of buddies. One has a Glock that fits nicely. I fell in love with the Walther P99 that another buddy of mine had. Any suggestions?

Then I find this ....

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
    from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
    any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms:

§ 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Note: If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law. If you stop or interrupt your trip you then come under state law.
    So don't stop. If you do, you run the risk (albeit incredibly slight) of violating MD's gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I'm about to purchase my first firearm. I've been to the range with a couple of buddies. One has a Glock that fits nicely. I fell in love with the Walther P99 that another buddy of mine had. Any suggestions?
    Both of those weapons are fine. I own two Glock's myself and Walther has a long history of putting out great firearms.

As for what would work best for you, that's something only you can determine. I recommend anyone I train to go to a range and rent a bunch of different models, calibers, etc to see what works best for you and only after you've taken an NRA approved pistol course.

What is your experience with firearms?

Blog Entries

Both of those weapons are fine. I own two Glock's myself and Walther has a long history of putting out great firearms.

As for what would work best for you, that's something only you can determine. I recommend anyone I train to go to a range and rent a bunch of different models, calibers, etc to see what works best for you and only after you've taken an NRA approved pistol course.

What is your experience with firearms?
    Just for recreational purposes for the past ten years or so (shooting ranges - no hunting). Never had to use one as part of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Just for recreational purposes for the past ten years or so (shooting ranges - no hunting). Never had to use one as part of employment.
    Guns are expensive so shoot a lot of different things first. I am a pretty big Glock and Sig Sauer fan boy myself.

Blog Entries

Guns are expensive so shoot a lot of different things first. I am a pretty big Glock and Sig Sauer fan boy myself.
    Any thoughts on the Ruger SR9c? My neighbor just got one.

Also any thoughts on PX4 Storm? I'm interested in that one, it's comfy.

Never shot it. Can't help ya.

I am very anti-Berretta. I carried one in my MP days and that bitch was always broken. That's a bias of mine, I admit, so I don't ever shoot them anymore.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what I decided on.

I own an SR9 and SR9c. Ruger customer service is great and the 17 rd magazines are interchangeable. I'm not the biggest fan of how the SR9c fits my hand but I'd still buy it again. There's a piece of rubber on the back of the grip that you can slide out and make it larger.

I've had no problems with it other than that. The SR9 is a little longer and I believe more accurate.

Depending on your hand size , concealed carry... I'd advise renting an SR9 at the range and see how it feels in comparison.

Best of luck.