Blog Entries

Aetna pulling out of Obamacare Exchanges

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Re: Aetna pulling out of Obamacare Exchanges

I have Aetna and I am stoked. Say hello lower prices!

I was never a fan of Obamacare but it's rather obvious the critics were generally right about Obamacare from the start. It may well have been better for all of us to have done nothing than to enact Obamacare.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I was never a fan of Obamacare but it's rather obvious the critics were generally right about Obamacare from the start. It may well have been better for all of us to have done nothing than to enact Obamacare.
    As Gary Johnson says: Free Market.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Another greedy company. Aenta provides healthcare to our company and very few sign up for it, employees rather checking out The ACA marketplace.

Aetna, want to remain greedy? Then GET THE HELL OUT.

"Greed is good."SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    Another greedy company. Aenta provides healthcare to our company and very few sign up for it, employees rather checking out The ACA marketplace.

Aetna, want to remain greedy? Then GET THE HELL OUT.

"Greed is good."SMH
    You do know that any price you have to pay for Aetna is negotiated by your company, right? By law, they can't set the price unilaterally. If the price of Aetna is more than what you can find on the exchange, that's on your employer, not Aetna.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I work IT program management at the state-level, and we talk through shifts like this all time time, b/c eventually we have to deal with the fallout.

So just last year Aetna's CEO deemed that its insurance exchange business (under ACA, of course) was growing just fine and was an overall positive for investors.

He also said that they the future was bright WRT Medicare since the Obama admin was so supportive of the program and had provided funding increases accordingly...the first in several years. And as recently as April the same guy generally praised the prospects of Aetna's growth sustainability under ACA's requirements.

Then last month *boom* DoJ took a isht on Aetna's merger with Humana; and this pull-out just looks like a butt-hurt overreaction.

I mean, I'm all for corporations and people making as money as they can, but Aetna is full of isht here.

Aetna's net profits 2010-2015.
    2010: $1.7B
    2011: $1.9B
    2012: $1.6B
    2013: $1.9B
    2014: $2.0B
    2015: $2.4B

I didn't grab what Aetna's annual targets were (b/c that matters a lot), but in 2011, Aetna's share price was $38. Today it's $119 and rising.

Overall, Health-care's Big 5 is up Big Time since 2011.
    Cigna from $45 per share to $132 today.
    Humana $74 to $179.
    Anthem $60 to $129.
    UnitedHealth $45 to 140.

While not a guarantee, if folks get premium relief out of this then that's a good deal. I'm all for that too.

The whole rate setting side of the equation is affected by a boatload of factors. Local demographics matter a lot, I'm told.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

It's called "Joe-mentum" (no definition needed)

Fitz and Corey Davis in 2017!

@BigPlayReceiver

It's a for-profit company. They sell a product that's specialized and in high demand. Them making a profit means they're doing something right, not wrong. Aetna, by far, has been the most accommodating and least cumbersome healthcare providers I've had since being employed.

I've never understood the critique that it's somehow bad that a healthcare company turn a big profit.

Yup. Either remain with the status-quo or go single-payer.

The only way Obamacare was going to work--to the degree as it was originally designed--was for the Dems to have an overwhelming advantage in the House. The negotiations made it much weaker. Folks on both sides knew it.

The Dems weren't going to back away in failure yet again (1st Clinton term), and the Repubs were hoping for a great debacle after implementation so that they could repeal.

So here we are...
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

@BigPlayReceiver

It's a for-profit company. They sell a product that's specialized and in high demand. Them making a profit means they're doing something right, not wrong. Aetna, by far, has been the most accommodating and least cumbersome healthcare providers I've had since being employed.

I've never understood the critique that it's somehow bad that a healthcare company turn a big profit.
    You got me all wrong HR.

I said this:

I mean, I'm all for corporations and people making as money as they can, but Aetna is full of isht here.

Exxon, Glaxo, Goldman Sachs, whomever...they can make as much money as they want. It doesn't bother me at all nor do I think that it's inherently bad for the economy or citizenry. It's up to the individual to decide (take action or make decisions) if they want. As I know that you know, this is a very Libertarian position*.

My point in providing the financials above is this...

Aetna is going to run higher costs for 2016 than they expected...than they reported to Wall Street (which is really what matters here). I don't know where these losses are coming from, but I don't buy that suddenly it's ACA's fault b/c 1) just 4 months ago their CEO was praising ACA in-front of Congress, and 2) they've been making a ishtload of money off of ACA to-date.

* To be clear, this is my take on the subject of corporate profitability not health care. Libertarians want government out of health care...and most other things, of course. That's not my position.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 08-17-2016 at 11:09 AM.

@BigPlayReceiver

Wasn't really directed at you BPR.

Your comments just got me thinking about the refrain you hear from the left about how much company x makes, how 'greedy' they are for doing so, etc all the while they're the first ones to check their 401(k) accounts every morning.

Wasn't really directed at you BPR.

Your comments just got me thinking about the refrain you hear from the left about how much company x makes, how 'greedy' they are for doing so, etc all the while they're the first ones to check their 401(k) accounts every morning.

Sorry about that. I totally get what you mean.

I think I've finally broken-through the Great Liberal Wall that my wife had built around her on this matter; the matter of perceived "corporate greed". You're either a shareholder or you're a source of corporate revenue, I told her.

Case in point, when much of the country was raging about ACA passing, that was a perfect time to buy stock in HC insurance companies. Looking back, an average Joe/Jane would have far "out-earned" any increase to their premiums.

I wish I had bought more. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

@BigPlayReceiver