Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran Nuke Deal

Iran Nuke Deal

So, so bad on so many levels.

I totally get lifting economic sanctions from a humanitarian standpoint. But there are ways to ensure those sanctions can be lifted without lifting the weapons embargo.

In ten years, Iran will have a green light to build ballistic missiles. And it's incredibly naive to believe they're not going to work on a bomb even if this agreement says they won't.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Re: Iran Nuke Deal

I wonder if tensions with Russia made this deal move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

I dont get warm fuzzies from it.

I guess the thought is that if we remove our sanctions, theyre going to have the funds to develop their nuclear program anyway, so this would atleast allow us to follow it. our sanctions have crippled their economy which is part of the reason for the hate they do have for us (though I think its blown out of proportion, they dont all hate us). I agree its not going to stop them, but similar to iraq, if were allowed to "inspect" at will, atleast slow them down, by keeping them on the move. atleast until we find WMDs (or not) and invade anyway. with as much enriched uranium as they have, its only a matter of time so maybe making it appear were on board with that and helping is better than fighting it to the bitter end?

I think we need to start easing tensions in the mid east (and removing ourselves), but im not sure this is the best way, or the best country to start with. certainly a gamble, but i have to think theres a bigger end game here that will lead to a better relationship. getting a foothold with somebody of importance in the mid east would hopefully allow for better world image for us.

I guess as far as the mid east goes, they are one of the more stable countries...
    -JAB

A complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont get warm fuzzies from it.

I guess the thought is that if we remove our sanctions, theyre going to have the funds to develop their nuclear program anyway, so this would atleast allow us to follow it. our sanctions have crippled their economy which is part of the reason for the hate they do have for us (though I think its blown out of proportion, they dont all hate us). I agree its not going to stop them, but similar to iraq, if were allowed to "inspect" at will, atleast slow them down, by keeping them on the move. atleast until we find WMDs (or not) and invade anyway. with as much enriched uranium as they have, its only a matter of time so maybe making it appear were on board with that and helping is better than fighting it to the bitter end?

I think we need to start easing tensions in the mid east (and removing ourselves), but im not sure this is the best way, or the best country to start with. certainly a gamble, but i have to think theres a bigger end game here that will lead to a better relationship. getting a foothold with somebody of importance in the mid east would hopefully allow for better world image for us.

I guess as far as the mid east goes, they are one of the more stable countries...
    Disagree on two points here.

Yes, they pretty much all hate us. It's a fundamentalist Islamic state. We are, quite literally, the devil incarnate in their eyes. The revolution in the 70's was all about getting rid of the regime that was diplomatic with us (the Shah) and replacing it with a fundamentalist government based in hardcore religious doctrine that viewed the U.S. as "the great Satan".

And there's nothing stable about them. They've been fighting proxy wars with Israel for years, funding and arming the very groups, namely Hamas, that have been attacking the West Bank and Gaza.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I don't even need to know the details of the deal to know it was a bad deal. Iran was using rhetoric that they would step away if they wanted, and we all know the Obama wanted to get this deal done in haste just for the sake of his legacy; if the deal included an anal probe to Obama's ass he'd still take the deal. Yet another example of Obama's disasterious foreign policy record.

Earlier Obama's presidential timeline Iran was on the ropes from all the sanctions and there were willing people in Iran to overthrow the government. So we had the boot on their neck and gaves them economic relief, now he does this deal. What a joke

I'm trying to read through as many analyses as I can stand...from all sides of the issue, but I have no trouble believing that this may be the best deal obtainable at this moment in time.

I lean that way b/c surprisingly no former President has had a heavier foot on Iran's neck (WRT sanctions) than this one. So to go from very strong sanctions to a weak deal via 14 months of multi-national negotiations is absolutely illogical unless one thinks that the dozens of career diplomats and politicians involved got to be where they are by giving isht away to their adversaries.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Disagree on two points here.

Yes, they pretty much all hate us. It's a fundamentalist Islamic state. We are, quite literally, the devil incarnate in their eyes. The revolution in the 70's was all about getting rid of the regime that was diplomatic with us (the Shah) and replacing it with a fundamentalist government based in hardcore religious doctrine that viewed the U.S. as "the great Satan".

And there's nothing stable about them. They've been fighting proxy wars with Israel for years, funding and arming the very groups, namely Hamas, that have been attacking the West Bank and Gaza.
    Hezbollah and Hamas.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Blog Entries

Another thought I had is that ISIS plays into this.

The Saudi's have funded ISIS in certain aspects and the Saudi's and the Iranian government dislike each other fundamentally.

This could be a way to leverage the Iranian military into doing something about ISIS.

That whole region is an effin mess. Turkey, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Eqypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Lebanon...

Fuck that entire area. I have been hoping for a long time now that we get a government that presses for alternative fuel sources so we can be rid of that area's oil permanently. THAT would hurt them far more than anything else.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreLove View Post
    Earlier Obama's presidential timeline Iran was on the ropes from all the sanctions and there were willing people in Iran to overthrow the government. So we had the boot on their neck and gaves them economic relief, now he does this deal. What a joke
    I think there are multiple "long plays" involved.

I have no idea what they are, but I suspect that one of them involves figuratively opening up a pathway for Iran's very large, young and progressive population to ultimately ascend to governing the nation. By lifting the boot, these folks will turn their displeasure away from us, and back onto their so-called leaders, where it belongs. In such a case though there will be blood. Not American blood, at least not initially, but Lord knows we'll be involved in some sense.

Long plays are generally risky, but they are "acceptable unknowns".
    What's absolutely not acceptable is a war with Iran.
    It's three times as large as Iraq, has 2.5x the population, and the terrain rivals Afghanistan.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm trying to read through as many analyses as I can stand...from all sides of the issue, but I have no trouble believing that this may be the best deal obtainable at this moment in time.

I lean that way b/c surprisingly no former President has had a heavier foot on Iran's neck (WRT sanctions) than this one. So to go from very strong sanctions to a weak deal via 14 months of multi-national negotiations is absolutely illogical unless one thinks that the dozens of career diplomats and politicians involved got to be where they are by giving isht away to their adversaries.
    "best obtainable deal" does not mean a good deal. If that was the best obtainable deal, then no deal should have been struck.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Another thought I had is that ISIS plays into this.

The Saudi's have funded ISIS in certain aspects and the Saudi's and the Iranian government dislike each other fundamentally.

This could be a way to leverage the Iranian military into doing something about ISIS.

That whole region is an effin mess. Turkey, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Eqypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Lebanon...

Fuck that entire area. I have been hoping for a long time now that we get a government that presses for alternative fuel sources so we can be rid of that area's oil permanently. THAT would hurt them far more than anything else.
    Completely forgot about the "destroy ISIS" impact on the matter. The Iran vs. ISIS angle was getting media play about 2-3 months ago, but I haven't seen it explored much at all lately.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I think there are multiple "long plays" involved.

I have no idea what they are, but I suspect that one of them involves figuratively opening up a pathway for Iran's very large, young and progressive population to ultimately ascend to governing the nation. By lifting the boot, these folks will turn their displeasure away from us, and back onto their so-called leaders, where it belongs. In such a case though there will be blood. Not American blood, at least not initially, but Lord knows we'll be involved in some sense.

Long plays are generally risky, but they are "acceptable unknowns".
    What's absolutely not acceptable is a war with Iran.
    It's three times as large as Iraq, has 2.5x the population, and the terrain rivals Afghanistan.
    The long play here is basically betting on a leopard changing his spots or a scorpion not being a scorpion.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    "best obtainable deal" does not mean a good deal. If that was the best obtainable deal, then no deal should have been struck.
    No deal => our hand is ultimately forced => we are definitely going to war vs. Iran before the end of the decade IMO.

Presidents aren't magicians, but the time for a good deal was 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 years ago. IMO any disappointment felt should be aimed at any or all of the previous five Presidents going back to 1979 (each of whom had far more leverage than Obama) that didn't have the balls to make a stronger deal at the time.