Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Blog Entries

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I loved what I saw but we need to see more of it. I keep Brown over Doss and probably Mellette over Doss as well, though Mellette did little with a good number of first team snaps last night.

I am thinking
    Smith
    Stokley
    Jones
    Brown
    Mellette
    One other who is good on ST.

Am I missing somebody?
    Deonte Thompson

Blog Entries

LaQuan will probably get that last spot because of special teams.

I think Streeter is gone. Doss could be put on the PS, maybe, if they still want to give him a chance. But I think they part ways. Has Deonte come back from injury yet? Maybe they put him on IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Doss could be put on the PS, maybe, if they still want to give him a chance.
    Doss is in no way eligible for the practice squad. He has been game-day active too many times.

Blog Entries

To be fair, it was difficult for Mellette to show much, considering how much he was interfered with.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by ravenswintitle View Post
    glad to see everyone's converted
    Marlon, Marlon, Marlon!!!

Blog Entries

Beavis: "Marlon is Cool".
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I love LaQuan and I wish he showed more but he just, as a WR, hasn't done much. He might be the 6th because of ST. Thompson is who I missed I guess because we just haven't seen him. Maybe they do IR him to stash him away but he hasn't proven himself in preseason games (maybe he has in practice when they have seen him) so I have a hard time seeing him kept over Mellette and Brown. But who knows, we only get to see the tip of the iceberg until the real games start.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I love LaQuan and I wish he showed more but he just, as a WR, hasn't done much. He might be the 6th because of ST. Thompson is who I missed I guess because we just haven't seen him. Maybe they do IR him to stash him away but he hasn't proven himself in preseason games (maybe he has in practice when they have seen him) so I have a hard time seeing him kept over Mellette and Brown. But who knows, we only get to see the tip of the iceberg until the real games start.
    A couple times this preseason I'd be watching a game in which some player did something great. And I'd think...wow...that player is really good. Then the following week I'd see the same player and think...wow...isn't that the same player who looked so great last week? He's not lookin so good this week.

So preseason is a tricky time when it comes to that. The thing with the Ravens WRs not named Smith, Brown, or Millette is that it's been years and they just haven't been impressive (with the possible exceptions of LQ, who sometimes looks really good, and other times not so good, and Jones). Personally, having just watched Christine Michael for the Seahawks, I'm goin on record as saying he is absolutely positively the real deal. (We'll see...)

But back to Brown (and Millette). As has already been stated, it's partly a matter of them being elevated because of the void created by the other WRs currently on the squad. And opening day is fast approaching, so hope factors into the mix a lot.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 08-24-2013 at 08:52 AM.

I think I've finally gotten the hidden message in several threads: "Which of our WRs are less bad than the rest?" IMHO not one of them has been clearly NFL ready. Hoping Stokely can somehow stay healthy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I think I've finally gotten the hidden message in several threads: "Which of our WRs are less bad than the rest?" IMHO not one of them has been clearly NFL ready. Hoping Stokely can somehow stay healthy.
    Even though Marlon Brown performed well with the first team offense against Carolina's first team D, which clearly is pretty good?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

At some point in time you have to find out what young guy on the team can step up given the Ravens current situation they had no choice but to see who could step up an undrafted rookie is answerig the call right now along with a 7th round pick its about the time the Ravens catch lightening in a bottle with recievers we finally got one in Torrey now its time we get find another. Its not like Brown played sub par he was balling by all accounts him and Melette have been the most consistent recievers in camp and preseason. The rest of the recieving vets (not named Torrey and Stokely, Thompson due to injury) should be ashamed of themselves they have been here for a combined 8-10yrs and having two guys who may not have had a shot come in and show them up they deserve to be cut.

I guess it all depends on how you define "NFL ready". Clearly the rookies, who admittedly have very limited NFL experience, could be classified as not "NFL ready". But as jsmoove said, at some point you have to give young guys a shot, IF they've shown, in whatever opportunities that they've been given, that they might just be NFL ready. And I think Brown and Millette have done that.

But that's where the context of the 2013 preseason comes into play. The receivers the Ravens were counting on simply did not pan out. They brought in Stokley (and Clark) to help do damage control. But at this point, AND given what they've shown so far, Brown and Millette are arguable the best alternatives. I don't think there's any hidden message, though. It's been discussed all along, hasn't it?

Blog Entries

And the man has won an Academy Award. Great actor in "On The Waterfront", "The Godfather", "Streetcar named Desire", and so many more. Oh sorry, that's Marlon Brando not Marlon Brown... Bc

Bandwagon jumpers. They jumped off the mellette band wagon that they got on after the LW wagon derailed. Brown had a good game. Its a good thing, but it means very little to the inconsistency the entire wrs group has shown, if not reinforced that notion. Its also speaking the dire need of the fanbase to have somebody step up when i think the coaches are more content with a commity approach were seeing.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

My big thing with WR's has always been this: I don't care how tall they are, or what their 40 time is, or how high they can jump. For me, they need to (1) run the right route, (2) run the right route, (3) run the right route, (4) catch when thrown to, (5) have enough short area burst to get open, (6) have enough strength/technique to get off press coverage when needed.

Did I mention "run the right route"?

Rookies and inexperienced players tend to fail at this part of the game until they master the playbook and reads. Which makes them dangerous, because even if they're good players, they can still single handedly lose you a game running one wrong route.

Like, say, what Tandon Doss did the other night.

We know rookies will do this. It's part of life. But vets should not. This is why guys like Stokely or Rod Smith or Derrick Mason, etc., lasted as long as they did -- they ran the right route and caught the ball when it hit their hands. Amazing how that works. How so many guys who don't have the height, the 40 time, etc. are so productive in the NFL. I've griped for years at how NFL teams evaluate WRs by overvaluing the wrong things. Anyway....

So my conclusion is this: if Doss is just as likely as Brown or Mellette to blow a game running the wrong play anyway, then let's give those guys a shot. He's had two years already, still makes rookie mistakes AND isn't productive. At least with Brown, and Mellette (and even Deonte, hopefully if he can get healthy) we have the upside, and who knows, maybe they're sharper than Doss and WON'T screw up.

The more I look at that route he ran the other night, the more I shake my head. Then his comment afterward "Joe and I just need to get on the same page, that's on both of us" I thought, what? No it is NOT on "both of" you. And you and Joe don't need to get on the same page. YOU need to get on HIS page, dude. He's the 120 million dollar Super Bowl winning QB, you are the 3rd year guy who's never done crap.

So I hope they keep Brown over Doss; after reading about how hard Harbs recruited Brown and the 3 year deal he signed (which I didn't know about till yesterday) my view is that not only has Brown looked the part of the #4 WR, the team may also have enough investment in him to where they might -- God forbid -- actually admit they screwed up on a 4th round pick 3 years ago and cut the guy who clearly isn't getting it done in favor of the guy who does appear to be getting it done.