Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Results 349 to 360 of 411

Thread: Marlon Brown

  1. #349

    Re: Marlon Brown



    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I'm having a real problem with Doss' attitude. From today's Sun:

    “I finally got some balls thrown my way,” Doss said."

    I guess the ones he dropped or ran the wrong route on don't count? This comment, along with the one about him AND Joe being responsible for the interception, don't reflect well at all on him. He sounds like a diva without the resume.
    Theres two ways to take that comment, youre taking as if hes being a dick. the other is that its just reality. he had a really small sample size of targets that he was being judged from prior to last night. over half the passes hes been thrown this preseason came in that game. in part because he barely played the first game with the rest of the 1st teamers at the time.

    EDIT: actually if you dont take it out of context what he said seemed to be pretty straight forward.

    “I finally got some balls thrown my way and was able to get into a routine, and it felt good for the first time,” Doss said. “You always want to end on a good note. But you got to just keep battling through things and you’re not going to have a perfect game every game.”
    seems pretty level-headed to me. happy about his performance, but realizes there was previous criticism, which he apparently wasnt happy with his performance either.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 08-30-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    -JAB




  2. #350
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,956
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Theres two ways to take that comment, youre taking as if hes being a dick. the other is that its just reality. he had a really small sample size of targets that he was being judged from prior to last night. over half the passes hes been thrown this preseason came in that game. in part because he barely played the first game with the rest of the 1st teamers at the time.
    Plus Caleb Hanie was throwing the ball.




  3. #351
    iggyman555 Guest

    Re: Marlon Brown

    delete




  4. #352

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I'm having a real problem with Doss' attitude. From today's Sun:

    I finally got some balls thrown my way, Doss said."

    I guess the ones he dropped or ran the wrong route on don't count? This comment, along with the one about him AND Joe being responsible for the interception, don't reflect well at all on him. He sounds like a diva without the resume.
    Pretty annoying.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  5. #353

    Re: Marlon Brown

    It's getting to the point where it makes too much sense to give Brown reps early in the season.

    First, let's look at who is in front of him and that is really Jacoby Jones. When Jones was in Houston, he performed better when asked to be a returner first and WR second. Once Houston asked him to become a WR first and returner second he struggled, couldn't beat out Kevin Walter for the spot opposite Andre Johnson and Houston did not look to keep him.

    He comes to Baltimore and they start off asking him to be a returner first and WR second. For John Harbaugh to already say that his snaps at WR will be limited to keep him fresh for returns, tells me that they already recognize that he is a returner first, and that trying to make him a WR first would be a mistake.

    At WR, Jones' best asset is his speed. He tends to catch more with his body, struggles to make contested catches and his route running has limitations. Jones, for example, is not going to catch a slant and take it fifty plus, the way we've seen Smith and Brown do this preseason.

    So, when you look at the guy ahead of Brown, it's not as if he is a legitimate mismatch for defenses. He can produce when benefiting from the other mismatches (Torrey being doubled, attention to Ray Rice, etc.)

    Now, you can look at Marlon Brown. First off, the guy has size and actually plays more to the physicality of that size than Jones does to his. Flacco has traditionally been a guy whose more likely to be high with a pass and we've all wanted to see him get a taller WR who could compliment him better. Brown fits that description.

    Brown catches the ball with his hands and has shown that his route running may already be on Jacoby's level, if not better. He also does a good job of using his body to position himself to make a catch. He catches more cleanly with his hands.

    He's answered the bell to every task asked of him so far. He practiced with the ones, spent extra time after practice to get into a better rhythm with Flacco and it showed against Carolina. He's shown that he can go deep and run the slants, that he can line up inside and outside, and that he can block.

    I think that some of Jim Caldwell's influence is present, but I also want to credit Joe Flacco for Championing the idea of giving these younger players a legitimate opportunity. Everyone has to start somewhere and I think Joe understood that.

    Again, it's getting to the point where it just makes too much sense.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #354

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Everybody keeps mentioning how good Brown is at receiving, and I agree wholeheartedly on that. However, one aspect of his game that I see some people overlooking on other sites is his blocking ability. He's probably the best blocking receiver on our team, and its not just because he is 6'5" either. He has the willingness to block someone in order to spring a play for more yardage, and he does an excellent job of positioning himself to do so as well. What keeps coming to my mind is, on one of Rainey's 2 TD's, Brown performing an excellent seal block on a DB so Rainey could score. Now, most players whose job isn't to primarily block would, at that angle, block from behind and draw a flag. However, Brown stepped right in front of him and sealed him off. That's execution of blocking right there.




  7. #355
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,956
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    Everybody keeps mentioning how good Brown is at receiving, and I agree wholeheartedly on that. However, one aspect of his game that I see some people overlooking on other sites is his blocking ability. He's probably the best blocking receiver on our team, and its not just because he is 6'5" either. He has the willingness to block someone in order to spring a play for more yardage, and he does an excellent job of positioning himself to do so as well. What keeps coming to my mind is, on one of Rainey's 2 TD's, Brown performing an excellent seal block on a DB so Rainey could score. Now, most players whose job isn't to primarily block would, at that angle, block from behind and draw a flag. However, Brown stepped right in front of him and sealed him off. That's execution of blocking right there.
    I was really impressed by that play. He had the smarts to avoid a flag but still get the block.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free




  8. #356

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    theyve thrown him some along the side line. may not have been the redzone but its the same route. I disagree with the straight line speed though. hes adequate (4.64, similar to boldin), but i would not say hes fast. hes quick, which is where hes getting separation, and big which helps create with his catch radius. im just not sure how realistic it is for him to crack the starting lineup, but i do agree id rather not see jacoby there.
    Actually, Brown ran a 4.52 40. And that was coming off of an ACL injury, so who knows how fast he truly is in that drill. But I will say this... the 40 isn't the end all, be all drill that people think it is. Jerry Rice (anyone know who he is?? lol) ran a 4.7 40 time. That sure didn't stop him from being the best receiver in NFL history.




  9. #357

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I was really impressed by that play. He had the smarts to avoid a flag but still get the block.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

    Yes Sir. I have no idea how he didn't produce at Uga. That's my only concern. But I've seen players come in after being Heisman trophy winners in college and immediately fall out of the league, while others who did not put up gaudy stats in college come in and be Hall of Famers.




  10. #358
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    14,908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    Yes Sir. I have no idea how he didn't produce at Uga. That's my only concern. But I've seen players come in after being Heisman trophy winners in college and immediately fall out of the league, while others who did not put up gaudy stats in college come in and be Hall of Famers.
    There was so much talent at the WR position at GA and once he got hurt he couldn't work himself back in.

    a few days ago I was getting clobbered on here when Mellette was the flavor of the week. Now there's 30 pages on Brown HA!
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  11. #359

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    Actually, Brown ran a 4.52 40. And that was coming off of an ACL injury, so who knows how fast he truly is in that drill. But I will say this... the 40 isn't the end all, be all drill that people think it is. Jerry Rice (anyone know who he is?? lol) ran a 4.7 40 time. That sure didn't stop him from being the best receiver in NFL history.
    were probably looking at the same website as i believe its the only one that has his 40 time posted is nfldraftscout, which even ill admit isnt always the most accurate, as i think some of their information comes from the colleges themselves. So a low of 4.52 is good, average of 4.6 is decent. My point being I dont think that labels him a burner as many were talking about how fast he is. 4.6 at his height is still plenty good enough and straight line speed isnt as important as quickness/burst which is where i feel hes actually been surprisingly good for his size.

    FTR Marlon has not run a 40 after his injury to my knowledge. he has DNP listed by his name at Georgia's proday and i dont believe he was invited to the combine and if he was he didnt partake in any drills. which is also why i believe that 40 info had to have come from his college.
    -JAB




  12. #360

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    There was so much talent at the WR position at GA and once he got hurt he couldn't work himself back in.

    a few days ago I was getting clobbered on here when Mellette was the flavor of the week. Now there's 30 pages on Brown HA!

    Haha! I've been a fan of Brown since he came to the team and was producing during training camp. I thought to myself that he had all the tools to make it big time in the NFL, and that he came from an SEC school. I remember reading reports where he was outshining the rest of the players he was practicing with during training camp, and immediately started trying to read all the reports I could find of him. Then preseason hit, and he stars. Hopefully he can carry that through the entire season, and ultimately, his entire career, which hopefully is spent with us.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland