Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

I am more confident than ever that Caldwell knows how to use the young WR talent that we have - and that he will do so early and frequently. If Cam Cameron were still here these guys would be buried on the inactive list until hell froze over.

I think a Caldwell managed offense has a serious chance of making it back to the Superbowl!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Caldwell has a history starting young Wrs who show talent, regardless of what size school they went to (in Mellette's case). Pierre Garçon (NCAA D3 - Mount Union ring a bell?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Garcon was a backup his first year; he didn't catch a pass until week 10 and he only caught 4 all year
    From Wiki

Collie impressed Indianapolis Colts Head Coach Jim Caldwell in the preseason and was placed third on the depth chart at the wide receiver position for the 2009 season, placing ahead of Pierre Garçon for the slot receiver position. However, Garçon soon jumped Collie on the depth chart shortly thereafter.[13] Collie finished his rookie season in the NFL among the top statistical leaders for all rookies at the wide receiver position.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenInBoston View Post
    ...oh an good morning all. Just started posting to this forum today. Looking forward to more : )
    Welcome to the boards... and know this; we actually run the franchise.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Since 2008 (beginning of the Harbs/Cameron era) no young WR outside of Torrey has had more than 10 receptions in a season. Whenever depth and injuries have provided opportunities for this, we've opted to run formations with fewer WRs instead of taking a chance w/ a young WR.

David Reed
    Demetrius Williams
    LaQuan Wiliams
    Tandon Doss

And as you noted, we really had no choice w/ Torrey.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with these decisions, but I think there was a trend towards this in the Harbs/Cam tenure. Five years is as much a sample as you tend to get in the NFL.

If I had to guess, this was more driven by Cam, so it could certainly change w/ Caldwell.

Edit:
    D-Will had 13 receptions in 2008, but he had 20 or more in the previous two seasons.
    You're sort of making my point too though. Of the 5 young receivers we've had under Harbs who might have had a shot of cracking the lineup, one was a day one starter, one is off the team, one is out of the leauge, and the other two may are very much on the bubble.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Question... as an individual, from what we've seen, doesn't Marlon have the 3rd best skill set (Torrey, Stokely; while Deonte is a question mark IMO) among our corps?

If he knows the playbook then I can't see anything holding him back from snaps.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    From Wiki

Collie impressed Indianapolis Colts Head Coach Jim Caldwell in the preseason and was placed third on the depth chart at the wide receiver position for the 2009 season, placing ahead of Pierre Garçon for the slot receiver position. However, Garçon soon jumped Collie on the depth chart shortly thereafter.[13] Collie finished his rookie season in the NFL among the top statistical leaders for all rookies at the wide receiver position.
    Not sure what you're getting at. Garçon still only had four catches his rookie year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not sure what you're getting at. Garçon still only had four catches his rookie year

My point was that Caldwell played Collie who was a rookie, and Collie ended up having a really productive season.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You're sort of making my point too though. Of the 5 young receivers we've had under Harbs who might have had a shot of cracking the lineup, one was a day one starter, one is off the team, one is out of the leauge, and the other two may are very much on the bubble.
    If anything neither of us can make a definitive case. I think it's a chicken or the egg situation. The fact that they weren't given the opportunities may be the reason they're either out of the league or still bubble players. Or maybe they legitimately weren't ready. It's impossible for us to say for sure.

My claim was:
    In the recent past they've generally waited to play young WRs until they had no choice

There's not enough history to say that Cam/Harbs would never give a young receiver a shot. But my assertion was weaker than that, and I think it's sufficiently supported.

I understand why you disagree, but it's probably not a meaningful debate now that Cam is gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    My point was that Caldwell played Collie who was a rookie, and Collie ended up having a really productive season.
    Got it. He was a fourth rounder unlike garçon who was a late round pick

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

iggyman555 Guest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Question... as an individual, from what we've seen, doesn't Marlon have the 3rd best skill set (Torrey, Stokely; while Deonte is a question mark IMO) among our corps?

If he knows the playbook then I can't see anything holding him back from snaps.
    I would agree.

It is rare to find a receiver his size (6'5" 210-215lbs) that can actually run good routes and separate. He catches with his hands, he'll go over the middle, he can get off of press coverage and he has nice vertical speed.

I don't feel comfortable jumping to this conclusion, but I'm really starting to think - based on my observations - that Brown is probably the Ravens 2nd best receiver after Torrey right now when factoring in age, speed and size.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would agree.

It is rare to find a receiver his size (6'5" 210-215lbs) that can actually run good routes and separate. He catches with his hands, he'll go over the middle, he can get off of press coverage and he has nice vertical speed.

I don't feel comfortable jumping to this conclusion, but I'm really starting to think - based on my observations - that Brown is probably the Ravens 2nd best receiver after Torrey right now when factoring in age, speed and size.
    I totally agree with you about Brown. I think he is the second best WR on the Ravens behind Torrey Smith. The thing that stands out for me with Brown is his versatility. He can play the slot or the outside WR position, and get separation. Plus, he can go over the middle, or go deep. That was why I was upset with Harbaugh last night for keeping him in for the entire game. I was terrified that he was going to get hurt in the 4th quarter of a meaningless 4th preseason game.

I think that Ravens will start JJ at the #2 WR position versus Denver, but that Brown will get playing time at that position. If he stays healthy, I think he will supplant JJ at that position by mid-season.

I like what I have seen from Mellette as well. The biggest difference I see between Mellette and Brown, is that Brown will go over the middle, while Mellette seems content to stay on the outside.