Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Blog Entries

Re: Marlon Brown

Second week in a row he led the team as a receiver. He lined up against Janoris Jenkins a lot too.

Brown, Mellette and Doss looked solid.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Second week in a row he led the team as a receiver. He lined up against Janoris Jenkins a lot too.

Brown, Mellette and Doss looked solid.
    Didn't watch the game, but that's good to hear because Jenkins is a solid starting corner in the league. Did he have many receptions vs him?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Didn't watch the game, but that's good to hear because Jenkins is a solid starting corner in the league. Did he have many receptions vs him?
    One or two I believe.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Have to say I do like what he brings to the game. Hands catcher, big, not the fastest but relatively quick in and out. I certainly dont want him on somebody else's team, so hopefully that knee holds up just fine and the staff trusts him.
    -JAB

I realize I'm getting ahead here, but if he were to break into the Ravens WR rotation what's his role?

They've been using him predominantly outside the numbers in preseason. That's where we're likely to use Smith and Jones, with Stokley in the slot. Is the ceiling for Brown this season spelling Jacoby after kcikoff and punt returns, or can he carve out a bigger role?

Given that the team seemed eager to find a #2 receiver and keep Jacoby in last season's role, I actually think there's a chance we could see Brown as our #2 receiver by sesason's end. I'm NOT predicting this ... just saying there's a chance.

I'm curious to see how soon they'll give him some opportunities to show himself in a regular season game. Maybe it never really happens this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I realize I'm getting ahead here, but if he were to break into the Ravens WR rotation what's his role?

They've been using him predominantly outside the numbers in preseason. That's where we're likely to use Smith and Jones, with Stokley in the slot. Is the ceiling for Brown this season spelling Jacoby after kcikoff and punt returns, or can he carve out a bigger role?

Given that the team seemed eager to find a #2 receiver and keep Jacoby in last season's role, I actually think there's a chance we could see Brown as our #2 receiver by sesason's end. I'm NOT predicting this ... just saying there's a chance.

I'm curious to see how soon they'll give him some opportunities to show himself in a regular season game. Maybe it never really happens this year.
    imo, i dont think he gets much of one this year. may not even suit up much, same with mellette. I think his most obtainable role would be Red Zone. You cant teach 6'-5" and if he excels at that, hed likely start pushing whoever is playing opposite Smith, whether thats Jones or whoever. I do think its possible by seasons end, he or mellette are the #2, but i dont think its very likely.

First they need to make the team.
    -JAB

In addition to his catches, Brown showed up as a blocker, especially on Rainey's 2nd TD. He also showed some smarts on one play where he was lining up to block for someone. As the defender pursued, Brown realized that he was now looking at a block in the back, and wisely stopped running and threw his hands up in the air, but still stayed in the way of the defender. That's a pretty quick read and react, especially for a rookie in pre-season.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    imo, i dont think he gets much of one this year. may not even suit up much, same with mellette. I think his most obtainable role would be Red Zone. You cant teach 6'-5" and if he excels at that, hed likely start pushing whoever is playing opposite Smith, whether thats Jones or whoever. I do think its possible by seasons end, he or mellette are the #2, but i dont think its very likely.

First they need to make the team.
    I get the 6-5 thing in the red zone, but--whether a matter of game circumstances or not--they haven't used him for jump ball purposes so far. I think they see him as more of a complete receiver a la Torrey Smith.

I think the ideal scenario for him and for the team is for Brown to gradually allow Jacoby to focus solely on kick returns. Brown doesn't just have straight line speed--he runs pretty good routes for an undrafted kid and they've shown that he can run shorter crossing routes effectively.

Under Caldwell we'll see a more thorough exploration of the route tree where guys who line up outside the numbers aren't always going deep. Having wideouts with a diverse skill set like Torrey and Brown allows the team to be more unpredictable and unpredictability leads to dynamism is the passing game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    I get the 6-5 thing in the red zone, but--whether a matter of game circumstances or not--they haven't used him for jump ball purposes so far. I think they see him as more of a complete receiver a la Torrey Smith.

I think the ideal scenario for him and for the team is for Brown to gradually allow Jacoby to focus solely on kick returns. Brown doesn't just have straight line speed--he runs pretty good routes for an undrafted kid and they've shown that he can run shorter crossing routes effectively.

Under Caldwell we'll see a more thorough exploration of the route tree where guys who line up outside the numbers aren't always going deep. Having wideouts with a diverse skill set like Torrey and Brown allows the team to be more unpredictable and unpredictability leads to dynamism is the passing game.
    theyve thrown him some along the side line. may not have been the redzone but its the same route. I disagree with the straight line speed though. hes adequate (4.64, similar to boldin), but i would not say hes fast. hes quick, which is where hes getting separation, and big which helps create with his catch radius. im just not sure how realistic it is for him to crack the starting lineup, but i do agree id rather not see jacoby there.
    -JAB

If Joe was QB last night Brown would have had 150 yards receiving... And to say he may not have a role this season or suit up much is ridiculous. Right now in reality he is the #4 guy behind Smith, Jones and Stokely. In my opinion, I think he's the #2 guy RIGHT NOW.

... and Caldwell has not had any particular tall WRs at all that I can remember. I'd think he'd have Marlon on the field in the most advantageous situations... but also bring him along with pace.

And again, I think the sight-lines that Marlon and #5 would share is also very advantageous.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Personally, I wouldn't be hesitant to give Brown and even Mellette reps in the regular season.

From what I have seen Marlon Brown could produce just as much as Jacoby did at receiver in the coming season. He has a bigger body and stronger hands.

I mean at the moment it is Jacoby or Brown on the outside... are you really that much more comfortable with Jacoby?