Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The Cowboys offered a 3rd round pick to move up.

New England wasn't going to take a 6th when they were being offered a 3rd from another team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I think New England also offered a 4th (#119) to get a 3rd back (#90) in order to move back 3 spots (to #27 from #24).

I think the net trade was New England moves back from #24 to #27, and also moves up #119 to #90.

They did not net a full, extra 3rd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I understand that Cam, QB and everything else was an issue.

I am chuckling because we - as fans...and rightfully so - are so caught up in the potential issues surrounding the team, yet the coaching staff and front office rarely seem to be as caught up on the issue(s) as we are.

I mean, look at us...here were are on a fucking Thursday at 1:20pm arguing about the receiver position on game day...a week before the regular season starts.

Can't I find a little bit of humor in that?
    You're actually comparing fans' reactions to professional personnel's reactions? And that's what you find amusing? Go for it, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think New England also offered a 4th (#119) to get a 3rd back (#90) in order to move back 3 spots (to #27 from #24).

I think the net trade was New England moves back from #24 to #27, and also moves up #119 to #90.

They did not net a full, extra 3rd round pick.
    You're right...but we still didn't have the ammunition to make that trade either.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

You're right...but we still didn't have the ammunition to make that trade either.
    Why not? The Ravens could have offered NE a 6th round pick, which they then could have used to move up with their 4th round pick. Also, NE was moving back from #24 to #27 with the trade with the Cowboys. With the Ravens, they would have only been moving from #24 to #25. It should take less if the team you are trading with is only moving back one spot instead of three.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Why not? The Ravens could have offered NE a 6th round pick, which they then could have used to move up with their 4th round pick. Also, NE was moving back from #24 to #27 with the trade with the Cowboys. With the Ravens, they would have only been moving from #24 to #25. It should take less if the team you are trading with is only moving back one spot instead of three.
    New England clearly wanted picks in those middle rounds.

You are suggesting that New England take a pick 3 rounds lower. It takes less to move back one spot, but not that much to move back 3...especially in the last part of the first round.

FWIW, if we were New England and wanted a guy like McCourty, and took a 6th round pick to move back one spot when we could have had a 3 while still in range of the guy we wanted, I'd be pretty pissed.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

New England clearly wanted picks in those middle rounds.

You are suggesting that New England take a pick 3 rounds lower. It takes less to move back one spot, but not that much to move back 3...especially in the last part of the first round.

FWIW, if we were New England and wanted a guy like McCourty, and took a 6th round pick to move back one spot when we could have had a 3 while still in range of the guy we wanted, I'd be pretty pissed.
    I think his point is that it wouldn't be a case of a 6th instead of a 3rd, it would be a case of a 4th and 6th vs. a (late) 3rd.

In the New England - Dallas trade, New England did not gain any picks. They traded 2 picks for 2 picks. The #24 and #119 for #27 and #90.

Dirt is saying we could have offered a full extra pick to New England to move up the one spot, giving New England a completely extra pick in the draft just to move back 1 spot in the 1st round.

That said, I do not think a (late) 6th would have done it. New England likes to come out "on top" in terms of the Draft Pick Trade Value chart. They would have likely needed a 5th or maybe even a 5th and 6th. And they might not have wanted any part of helping a fellow AFC competitor.

Nothing is a given, but we did have enough to make a fair offer to move up one spot. It would have required us trading multiple picks for a single pick.

Blog Entries

I think we have our number 1 and his name is Torrey Smith.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    You're actually comparing fans' reactions to professional personnel's reactions? And that's what you find amusing? Go for it, man.
    Is t that what this entire thread has pretty much evolved into? How fans are either "panicking/in terror" or whatever?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think his point is that it wouldn't be a case of a 6th instead of a 3rd, it would be a case of a 4th and 6th vs. a (late) 3rd.

In the New England - Dallas trade, New England did not gain any picks. They traded 2 picks for 2 picks. The #24 and #119 for #27 and #90.

Dirt is saying we could have offered a full extra pick to New England to move up the one spot, giving New England a completely extra pick in the draft just to move back 1 spot in the 1st round.

That said, I do not think a (late) 6th would have done it. New England likes to come out "on top" in terms of the Draft Pick Trade Value chart. They would have likely needed a 5th or maybe even a 5th and 6th. And they might not have wanted any part of helping a fellow AFC competitor.

Nothing is a given, but we did have enough to make a fair offer to move up one spot. It would have required us trading multiple picks for a single pick.
    Thanks. This is what I meant. In addition, NE could have packaged their 4th round pick with the extra 6th round pick they got from the Ravens to move up a number of spots in a trade with another team, just as they did with the Cowboys trade. I just don't buy that the Ravens FO could not have put together a package to move up one spot from #25 to #24 in the first round that year, if they had wanted to. I don't think they wanted to do it, because they don't trust their ability to evaluate WRs. The Ravens and NE have made first round trades before (Boller).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would love to see Baltimore finally get their Julio Jones, Dez Bryant or even a really solid #2 like Brian Hartline, James Jones or Golden Tate. I legitimately believe that this offense - as it stands now - is 1 dominant receiver away from being prolific.

However, I still think they can win and make a run for another SB birth/victory with who they have.

RB by committee works. Pass rushing packages vs run stopping packages work on defense. Why can't certain receiver packages work to supplement Torrey?
    It's just so hard to get those guys outside the top-15, so unless the Ravens start losing, it is what it is.

Like others said Bryant was as close as we got but it just wasn't to be.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    It's just so hard to get those guys outside the top-15, so unless the Ravens start losing, it is what it is.

That's what makes the prospect of players like Brown and Mellette being able to contribute so appealing. If they have a solid skill set, and a rookie contract, they can be major contributors for years to come without breaking the bank. That strikes me as ideal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post

Agreed, but Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt, Vincent Jackson and many other established receivers in the NFL weren't top-15 picks.

For whatever reason, until Torrey, the Ravens have not scouted or drafted receivers well at all.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.