Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

I think that Bum Phillips quote was stolen. ;)

It originally was made about Bear Bryant years earlier (not sure by whom).

It would be great if Brown or Thompson or Doss step up and be a number 2 for Ravens. I know Brown was Hurt and of course still has to be dealing with it. But the rookie looks hungry, and seem to run good routes. I'm hoping he plays Thursday and be healthy and be Consistent. Would be nice to get someone to step up. I like Jones, but don't love him as a #2. And as you fellas have opened my eyes to the Cam problem clearly, I do hope and feel good that our Franchise QB has a OC that pays attention and I think is smart enough to use the pieces we do have. Plus I think Ozzie might have one little piece of Offense up his sleeve before we get to Denver. All in all, I like the OC and QB which we really haven't had together in Charm City. It will be Interesting and fun to see what happens this year.

Blog Entries

Well, first we said he was a long shot to make the team and he started to impress in practice. Then, we said we have to see it in the preseason. He showed it in the preseason. Then we said we have to see it with the 1s' and against the 1s'. We saw it.

First time I can remember that sequence playing out.

I see no reason to hide my excitement.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, first we said he was a long shot to make the team and he started to impress in practice. Then, we said we have to see it in the preseason. He showed it in the preseason. Then we said we have to see it with the 1s' and against the 1s'. We saw it.

I'm with you. I was actually thinking the #2 would end up being Deonte - and still think it could end up being that way. But the Panthers game really shocked me. Brown looked polished - more so than Jacoby, Deonte, Doss, Mellette or anyone outside of Torrey and Stokely. I hope the kid gets all the snaps he can handle. No one else really looks ready at this point.

Blog Entries

I agree. Usually the other prospects fizzle out at some point during that process.

+1

I think the biggest difference between Brown and all the past WRs that we'd hope stepped up is that Brown is coming from Georgia/SEC. All the programs in the SEC are solid teams with top notch coaching. So, it stands to reason that he is a little more polished with his routes and sees what the defense is doing more quicky.

With Reed gone and DT still in the tub, the bonus with the STL game is that there should be only four WRs sharing the vast majority if not all of the snaps.

Hopefully, we'll have someone out there with them that can deliver the football.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

youre still missing a step, to keep showing it consistently. Ive read very few reports that mentioned him in TC outside him playing for a bubble spot, not a starter. The first game he played i would not call good. It wasnt bad but certainly a 2/5 where he missed some makeable catches should not be deemed good. I liked what i saw in that game but your list of the process comes down to showing consistency. He needs to show consistency still, as well as proving that knee can go for a whole year.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    With Reed gone and DT still in the tub, the bonus with the STL game is that there should be only four WRs sharing the vast majority if not all of the snaps.

Hopefully, we'll have someone out there with them that can deliver the football.
    To be honest, the Rams game won't really tell us TOO much about those WRs...

Let's assume Tyrod plays. He's not a premier passer, but he's passable. Will he be going against a true 1st team D? No. Probably a 50/50 split. So Marlon can show us his route running and his catching, but only slightly a step above practice.

And on top of that, Tyrod may not play, so it'd be CALEB HANIE! Rugh.

AND on top of that, do we want to see him take a lot of snaps and then end up re-injuring his ACL in the game?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    To be honest, the Rams game won't really tell us TOO much about those WRs...

Let's assume Tyrod plays. He's not a premier passer, but he's passable. Will he be going against a true 1st team D? No. Probably a 50/50 split. So Marlon can show us his route running and his catching, but only slightly a step above practice.

And on top of that, Tyrod may not play, so it'd be CALEB HANIE! Rugh.

AND on top of that, do we want to see him take a lot of snaps and then end up re-injuring his ACL in the game?
    I dont want to see injury but yes i want to see if his knee can handle it. What happens if we cut mellette or another wr and lose them because we thought brown was better but his knee swells and he misses the season. We effectively lose two wrs instead of one. I want that knee game tested and practiced on for more than a week or two at a time before he gets the nod. With saying that, its probably more important what happens after the game than during it with him.

I do agree this game wont tell us much otherwise due to our QBs and comp. They have to know what they have already just looking for a few more reps to support and finalize it.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 08-28-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I think they go with 7 wideouts this year. When you aren't quite happy with what you have but don't want to go out and get somebody else, you go for depth. That will at least give Harbaugh plenty to play with during the year trying to find a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    I'm with you. I was actually thinking the #2 would end up being Deonte - and still think it could end up being that way. But the Panthers game really shocked me. Brown looked polished - more so than Jacoby, Deonte, Doss, Mellette or anyone outside of Torrey and Stokely. I hope the kid gets all the snaps he can handle. No one else really looks ready at this point.
    I think this speaks more to the inadequacy of what we have here. Somehow, some way...they need to add one more legitimate NFL WR to this roster.