Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 411

Thread: Marlon Brown

  1. #151

    Re: Marlon Brown



    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    thats my biggest issue with Brown is that knee. he looked good one game (4/4), not good another (2/5) and sat out because that knee was swollen, yet people are jumping on his bandwagon like hes our #2. Im happy with what I see out of him so far, but i think that knee and missing time is worrisome if he can only go 1 game or a few practices before needing to rest it. hopefully he plays as well as he did last game this one which makes the call a lot easier. If he plays like he did the first game, we may be looking at finding a way to put him on IR because of that knee. If im not mistaken i believe thats what Dallas wanted to do with him from the start which is why he came here.
    It was the Texans, but your point is still valid. They had concerns about his knee and wanted to take a "wait and see" approach before they actually signed him.




  2. #152

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    It was the Texans, but your point is still valid. They had concerns about his knee and wanted to take a "wait and see" approach before they actually signed him.
    Thanks for the correction, got the texas teams mixed up. Texans look like they missed out on a future 1-2 punch of Nuk and Brown... good for us.

    if Brown is destined for contributing snaps its worth the gamble but if hes buried on the depth chart and inactive all year anyway, id prefer him to be on IR and come back next year 100%. Coaches have to figure that one out.
    -JAB




  3. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,288
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Marlon Brown

    For Brown it depends on what Caldwell does to modify the offense. It we're talking Cam's nonsense offense, yeah, it'll take him 40 years to learn it.

    You look at New England, and what a lot of college teams do (Boise in particular) is that the playbook itself isn't so complex, the routes aren't novel. It's the looks and the tendencies are what throws off the defenses. You can run very simple routes with minimal reads. The QB's job is to read the D and hit what's open, instead of making it the WRs job to figure it all out on the fly.

    The WR just runs his route on most plays, and on others, the looks are very simple. Typically it's going to be the "rub" or the play action, or the motion, or the bunch formation is what's getting you open on a simple out or dig route a lot of the time. How many times did you get sick of seeing Wes Welker or Hernandez wide the hell open because they ran a bunch or rub? How many times did you scream at the TV and say "why the hell can our guys never be that open?" If Cam had ever had any damn sense, he'd have made use of some of this. But luckily for us all, he is now history.

    If Caldwell does more of this, (and I think he will), it takes the burden off our unaccomplished WR corps by using the above techniques, then you only need to worry about who can block down field, who has the speed and wiggle to get YAC, etc. Hell, if we did that, Doss might even be useful. But as long as we have slow developing routes out of easy to read formations, with predictable play calls, then none of our other WRs can step up. We saw wrinkles from Caldwell and they worked great. Hopefully he's had enough time in now to install more of what we need in the way of deception to our offense, and he's just got it in the holster until Game One. No need to get all "new look" during the preseason. But I do hope its there. These WRs have talent; it's just not suited to Cam's offense where you seem to need guys with 15 years in the league to run it to the degree of precision it seemed to require.

    Bisciotti, BTW, wants these young guys productive while they're on their rookie contracts. That's been made clear. The offense needs to use deception and motion in order to make better use of the younger WRs; instead of constantly looking for WR's with Usain Bolt measurables and Steve Largent precision and wondering why they can't find any.




  4. #154

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Watching other teams the two things I've noticed that are consistently effective in getting separation are the 3 WR bunch formations and the pick/rub plays (when done properly so that OPI isn't called). Sometimes the Ravens have done it, and IIRC, it has been effective. They just don't seem to run those formations as much as other teams.




  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Watching other teams the two things I've noticed that are consistently effective in getting separation are the 3 WR bunch formations and the pick/rub plays (when done properly so that OPI isn't called). Sometimes the Ravens have done it, and IIRC, it has been effective. They just don't seem to run those formations as much as other teams.
    Gotta have 3 receivers to run it....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  6. #156

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Gotta have 3 receivers to run it....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I know.

    (Well...Smith...Stokley...Brown...)

    And that's also a time when Rice could be used as a WR, and Pierce could be in the backfield. There are a lot of pieces that the Ravens have if they use them creatively.




  7. #157

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I know.

    (Well...Smith...Stokley...Brown...)

    And that's also a time when Rice could be used as a WR, and Pierce could be in the backfield. There are a lot of pieces that the Ravens have if they use them creatively.
    Plus Juice in Pittas old spot running that flat or a crossing route with Smith running a deep route and Stokley running the sideline. Then throw JJ on a fly on the opposite side or Brown.

    There are a lot of options with this roster in the bunch
    Formerly runrayrun27

    Twitter: @cjacks17





  8. #158

    Re: Marlon Brown

    In the Carolina game specifically Juice, Pierce and Rice lined up in out wide at some point. I got kind of excited to see the potential in that.




  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4
    We haven't ran out of 3 WR sets much for two key reasons.

    1) Cam Cameron just didn't seem to like running that formation. He liked the I formation, pounding the ball, and relying on Torrey, Mason, and even Boldin to simply Sprint down field, and have Flacco just fling it in the air. This was why the passing offense was so inconsistent. It also negatively effected Joe and Boldin statistically, not that it mattered, the conservative offense did help us win a lot of games.

    2) Untill 2012, we didn't really have a reliable number 3, and even then, you can't really say Jacoby is reliable as a reciever. Still, he was pretty solid in that role.

    Caldwell prefers two TE sets, which in today's league, is the best offensive formation imo. He still likes 3 WR sets more than Cam, so I expect to see more of that like we did in the play offs. Sadly, we don't have the receiving talent that we did last year, so I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing an offensive juggernaut this year. I suspect the offense is going to start on the ground, because that's where the talent is this year.




  10. #160

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We haven't ran out of 3 WR sets much for two key reasons.

    1) Cam Cameron just didn't seem to like running that formation. He liked the I formation, pounding the ball, and relying on Torrey, Mason, and even Boldin to simply Sprint down field, and have Flacco just fling it in the air. This was why the passing offense was so inconsistent. It also negatively effected Joe and Boldin statistically, not that it mattered, the conservative offense did help us win a lot of games.

    2) Untill 2012, we didn't really have a reliable number 3, and even then, you can't really say Jacoby is reliable as a reciever. Still, he was pretty solid in that role.

    Caldwell prefers two TE sets, which in today's league, is the best offensive formation imo. He still likes 3 WR sets more than Cam, so I expect to see more of that like we did in the play offs. Sadly, we don't have the receiving talent that we did last year, so I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing an offensive juggernaut this year. I suspect the offense is going to start on the ground, because that's where the talent is this year.
    As has already been pointed out in the above posts, there IS enough talent on the roster, IF it's used properly. And it's not a matter of being "an offensive juggernaut", it's a matter of running an efficient offense. And good coordinators run schemes that are built around the talent at hand, not their personal preferences. That was Cameron's undoing. He didn't HAVE an Air Coryell talented team, but he kept shoving a square peg into a round hole. Hopefully Caldwell won't make that same mistake. Teams are NOT going to win by just running the ball, so they better coach up the WRs and design schemes to get them open.




  11. #161

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    As has already been pointed out in the above posts, there IS enough talent on the roster, IF it's used properly. And it's not a matter of being "an offensive juggernaut", it's a matter of running an efficient offense. And good coordinators run schemes that are built around the talent at hand, not their personal preferences. That was Cameron's undoing. He didn't HAVE an Air Coryell talented team, but he kept shoving a square peg into a round hole. Hopefully Caldwell won't make that same mistake. Teams are NOT going to win by just running the ball, so they better coach up the WRs and design schemes to get them open.
    Caldwell seems more the type to utilize the talent around him from what I've seen. It'll be interesting to see the difference in play calling now that he's got full control of the playbook...




  12. #162

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    Caldwell seems more the type to utilize the talent around him from what I've seen. It'll be interesting to see the difference in play calling now that he's got full control of the playbook...
    It will be interesting. Looking back at the Colts over the years, it seems as if the offense under Caldwell took a more methodical approach that required Manning to be more patient. (The 2006 playoff game is a good example.) That obviously has its plusses and minuses. There's always a fine line between being fearless/reckless and cautious/scared. (I think a perfect example is what happened in Denver. The Broncos played it conservatively, and it cost them the game, IMO.) The only reason the Ravens won the Super Bowl is because Harbaugh took off the "risk aversive" restraints and let the offense flow. Even with that, Caldwell was predictable with running on first down more than anything else. I think Caldwell is a better OC than Cameron, but I don't know if he's what the Ravens really need to get to the next level. So yeah...2013 will be a very interesting year.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 08-27-2013 at 11:42 AM.




  13. #163
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,126
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    It will be interesting. Looking back at the Colts over the years, it seems as if the offense under Caldwell took a more methodical approach that required Manning to be more patient. (The 2006 playoff game is a good example.) That obviously has its plusses and minuses. There's always a fine line between being fearless/reckless and cautious/scared. (I think a perfect example is what happened in Denver. The Broncos played it conservatively, and it cost them the game, IMO.) The only reason the Ravens won the Super Bowl is because Harbaugh took off the "risk aversive" restraints and let the offense flow. Even with that, Caldwell was predictable with running on first down more than anything else. I think Caldwell is a better OC than Cameron, but I don't know if he's what the Ravens really need to get to the next level. So yeah...2013 will be a very interesting year.

    Read this

    When Huard joined the Colts as a backup in 2002, he felt confident walking into his first quarterbacks meeting with Manning and Caldwell. After spending the previous three seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, Huard had become proficient in the nuances of the West Coast offense — no easy feat. How difficult could it be to learn some new terminology? “I was thinking, I’ve got this whole thing licked,” Huard said.

    He was mistaken, and he came to that realization within seconds of entering the room. Caldwell had covered every inch of several large whiteboards with opponents’ tendencies, plays for various downs and distances, routes, cuts, schemes, checks and reads. Caldwell’s penmanship was meticulous, Huard said, each formula and diagram etched with the steady hand of a surgeon. Huard found roughly 95 percent of it to be incomprehensible. After studying algebra, he had landed in a graduate-school seminar on thermodynamics.

    “I remember calling my wife at minicamp and saying, ‘I can’t do this, this is crazy,’ ” Huard said. “There were actually times during the season when I was like, ‘Oh man, I hope Peyton doesn’t get hurt.’ Because what he and Jim were doing was so off-the-charts.”

    Asked when he finally felt he had gotten up to speed, Huard said: “Never. That’s why I only lasted two years there.”

    As far back as 1993, when Caldwell became the coach at Wake Forest, it was clear to his players that he refused to be wedded to a single offensive philosophy. Rusty LaRue, Caldwell’s first quarterback at the university, recalled that the coach was never complacent and always seeking advantages.

    The first thing Caldwell did was scrap the team’s I-back scheme in favor of the spread. The next season, with his offense strengthened by one of the conference’s top running backs, he opted to keep the ball on the ground. Then, late in LaRue’s senior season, Caldwell opened things up again, letting LaRue throw the ball — and throw it some more. He completed an N.C.A.A.-record 55 passes in a game against Duke.

    “Because that’s what Coach Caldwell thought it would take to win,” said LaRue, now an assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest. “He loves X’s and O’s, which is probably why he relates so well to quarterbacks. Most good quarterbacks, like Peyton and Flacco, have a really high IQ for the game, so they probably appreciate working with someone who has the same love for the nuances of an offense.”

    Earlier this month, Caldwell said he still did not feel totally settled in as the team’s offensive coordinator. No coach ever feels completely comfortable, he said, not after three games, not after three years. It is a tenuous line of work — a lesson he learned from his time in Indianapolis.

    For him, in his own quiet way, he can only try to control what happens after the next snap. He always has a plan.




  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,948
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Read this
    Thanks for posting.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  15. #165

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Good find PBG
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland