Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Blog Entries

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Then why aren't there reports coming out of training camp that he's been distinguishing himself in practice? The reports are the exact opposite -- that he has not distinguished himself in practice. Hence, my statement -- that if he had, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
    Depends on how you read some of them... Some say he hasnt stood out while also noting him getting open and thrown to the most. Depends on how you want to take it. Being thrown to the most imo means hes the most open and beating our CBs. Which has been reported the last 3 years. Doss issue isnt practice, its putting it together in a game.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Depends on how you read some of them... Some say he hasnt stood out while also noting him getting open and thrown to the most. Depends on how you want to take it. Being thrown to the most imo means hes the most open and beating our CBs. Which has been reported the last 3 years. Doss issue isnt practice, its putting it together in a game.
    Fair enough. (But we do agree that game day Doss is not the answer, right?)

The only time Doss apparently has looked like he belonged are during no contact OTA's.

He certainly wasn't doing a lot positive during camp or they wouldn't have signed Stokely...you have to take a lot of these reports with a grain of salt...especially at WR, you'll get 5 different opinions from 5 different people. I also don't take the reports from the Ravens team media seriously...it's virtually all positive and shaded purple, which is to be expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

This may have been said already on this thread, but I just wanted to comment on the opinion that so many people expressed: that Marlon Brown looks great but couldn't be a #2 this year. I say "Why not?" It's not unprecedented for a receiver to play extremely well despite not being an early round pick. Marques Colston comes to mind. So far this preseason, he has outplayed every WR on the team other than Torrey Smith. I love Jacoby Jones' speed and elusiveness, but he is IMO not a good route runner.

The only other WR I would consider ahead of Marlon Brown would be Deonte Thompson, but only after he has had a chance to prove he deserves it. I think Deonte may be the most talented WR on the Ravens, but he hasn't earned a starting spot. Until then, I think that Marlon Brown has EARNED the #2 spot, and should be awarded that position until someone else proves they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    This may have been said already on this thread, but I just wanted to comment on the opinion that so many people expressed: that Marlon Brown looks great but couldn't be a #2 this year. I say "Why not?" It's not unprecedented for a receiver to play extremely well despite not being an early round pick. Marques Colston comes to mind. So far this preseason, he has outplayed every WR on the team other than Torrey Smith. I love Jacoby Jones' speed and elusiveness, but he is IMO not a good route runner.

The only other WR I would consider ahead of Marlon Brown would be Deonte Thompson, but only after he has had a chance to prove he deserves it. I think Deonte may be the most talented WR on the Ravens, but he hasn't earned a starting spot. Until then, I think that Marlon Brown has EARNED the #2 spot, and should be awarded that position until someone else proves they are better.
    Just because of the way John Harbaugh runs things, I wouldn't expect to see this by opening day, but maybe at some point during the season, assuming he continues to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Just because of the way John Harbaugh runs things, I wouldn't expect to see this by opening day, but maybe at some point during the season, assuming he continues to impress.
    I can't argue that. But I'm willing to bet that Harbaugh will give Brown plenty of snaps - even on opening day.

Blog Entries

I can't argue that. But I'm willing to bet that Harbaugh will give Brown plenty of snaps - even on opening day.
    No doubt. I think Jacoby will be used as more of a deep threat. Harbaugh even said that he'll have Jacoby on a snap count because of his return duties. That's going to open up snaps for someone like Marlon Brown. He deserves some time. He has caught everything so far.

That's what I'm expecting as well.

Blog Entries

We know this coaching staff likes to bring rookies along slowly. Couple that with the fact that WR is one of the hardest positions to learn at the NFL level, and I would he be shocked if Brown is lining up in 2 WR sets at all this season. Derrick Mason, for example, was in the league 4 years before he got his first start.

Brown has definitely shown flashes. But you think the coaches will trust him to know the entire playbook, all the hot reads, the entire route tree, all the audibles and terminology, down field blocking, etc, etc? I think a lot of people are putting some pretty lofty hopes on this undrafted rookie.

I think its going to be Jones getting the majority of those snaps, esp first half of the season. And I wouldn't put it past Ozzie to pick up or trade for a vet to fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    We know this coaching staff likes to bring rookies along slowly. Couple that with the fact that WR is one of the hardest positions to learn at the NFL level, and I would he be shocked if Brown is lining up in 2 WR sets at all this season. Derrick Mason, for example, was in the league 4 years before he got his first start.

Brown has definitely shown flashes. But you think the coaches will trust him to know the entire playbook, all the hot reads, the entire route tree, all the audibles and terminology, down field blocking, etc, etc? I think a lot of people are putting some pretty lofty hopes on this undrafted rookie.

I think its going to be Jones getting the majority of those snaps, esp first half of the season. And I wouldn't put it past Ozzie to pick up or trade for a vet to fill that role.
    I agree, but I think this coaching staff has shown that it will rely on rookies if needed, especially after last year. My feeling is that the being comfortable portion will be more on Flacco and Caldwell to call plays that he is comfortable in running routes in. Brown played in the SEC, so I honestly feel that this will be to big for him. The coaches aren't expecting him to know the entire playbook by week one or even during most of the year, he just needs to know the game plan.

Blog Entries

Remember that two years ago, LaQuan Williams got a spot on the 53 man roster and suprisingly was in as the #3 WR in the 1st couple weeks.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Remember that two years ago, LaQuan Williams got a spot on the 53 man roster and suprisingly was in as the #3 WR in the 1st couple weeks.
    Against the Jets in 2011. And after really struggling, he never got back on the field with the O. Maybe it shows a willingness on the part of the coaches to give a guy like that a shot, or maybe the will remember that experience and be a little more reluctant to try it again. We shall see.