Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I know. ;)

(Well...Smith...Stokley...Brown...)

And that's also a time when Rice could be used as a WR, and Pierce could be in the backfield. There are a lot of pieces that the Ravens have if they use them creatively.
    Plus Juice in Pittas old spot running that flat or a crossing route with Smith running a deep route and Stokley running the sideline. Then throw JJ on a fly on the opposite side or Brown.

There are a lot of options with this roster in the bunch
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

In the Carolina game specifically Juice, Pierce and Rice lined up in out wide at some point. I got kind of excited to see the potential in that.

Blog Entries
    We haven't ran out of 3 WR sets much for two key reasons.

1) Cam Cameron just didn't seem to like running that formation. He liked the I formation, pounding the ball, and relying on Torrey, Mason, and even Boldin to simply Sprint down field, and have Flacco just fling it in the air. This was why the passing offense was so inconsistent. It also negatively effected Joe and Boldin statistically, not that it mattered, the conservative offense did help us win a lot of games.

2) Untill 2012, we didn't really have a reliable number 3, and even then, you can't really say Jacoby is reliable as a reciever. Still, he was pretty solid in that role.

Caldwell prefers two TE sets, which in today's league, is the best offensive formation imo. He still likes 3 WR sets more than Cam, so I expect to see more of that like we did in the play offs. Sadly, we don't have the receiving talent that we did last year, so I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing an offensive juggernaut this year. I suspect the offense is going to start on the ground, because that's where the talent is this year.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We haven't ran out of 3 WR sets much for two key reasons.

1) Cam Cameron just didn't seem to like running that formation. He liked the I formation, pounding the ball, and relying on Torrey, Mason, and even Boldin to simply Sprint down field, and have Flacco just fling it in the air. This was why the passing offense was so inconsistent. It also negatively effected Joe and Boldin statistically, not that it mattered, the conservative offense did help us win a lot of games.

2) Untill 2012, we didn't really have a reliable number 3, and even then, you can't really say Jacoby is reliable as a reciever. Still, he was pretty solid in that role.

Caldwell prefers two TE sets, which in today's league, is the best offensive formation imo. He still likes 3 WR sets more than Cam, so I expect to see more of that like we did in the play offs. Sadly, we don't have the receiving talent that we did last year, so I'm not sure if we're going to be seeing an offensive juggernaut this year. I suspect the offense is going to start on the ground, because that's where the talent is this year.
    As has already been pointed out in the above posts, there IS enough talent on the roster, IF it's used properly. And it's not a matter of being "an offensive juggernaut", it's a matter of running an efficient offense. And good coordinators run schemes that are built around the talent at hand, not their personal preferences. That was Cameron's undoing. He didn't HAVE an Air Coryell talented team, but he kept shoving a square peg into a round hole. Hopefully Caldwell won't make that same mistake. Teams are NOT going to win by just running the ball, so they better coach up the WRs and design schemes to get them open.

As has already been pointed out in the above posts, there IS enough talent on the roster, IF it's used properly. And it's not a matter of being "an offensive juggernaut", it's a matter of running an efficient offense. And good coordinators run schemes that are built around the talent at hand, not their personal preferences. That was Cameron's undoing. He didn't HAVE an Air Coryell talented team, but he kept shoving a square peg into a round hole. Hopefully Caldwell won't make that same mistake. Teams are NOT going to win by just running the ball, so they better coach up the WRs and design schemes to get them open.
    Caldwell seems more the type to utilize the talent around him from what I've seen. It'll be interesting to see the difference in play calling now that he's got full control of the playbook...

Quote Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
    Caldwell seems more the type to utilize the talent around him from what I've seen. It'll be interesting to see the difference in play calling now that he's got full control of the playbook...
    It will be interesting. Looking back at the Colts over the years, it seems as if the offense under Caldwell took a more methodical approach that required Manning to be more patient. (The 2006 playoff game is a good example.) That obviously has its plusses and minuses. There's always a fine line between being fearless/reckless and cautious/scared. (I think a perfect example is what happened in Denver. The Broncos played it conservatively, and it cost them the game, IMO.) The only reason the Ravens won the Super Bowl is because Harbaugh took off the "risk aversive" restraints and let the offense flow. Even with that, Caldwell was predictable with running on first down more than anything else. I think Caldwell is a better OC than Cameron, but I don't know if he's what the Ravens really need to get to the next level. So yeah...2013 will be a very interesting year.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 08-27-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

It will be interesting. Looking back at the Colts over the years, it seems as if the offense under Caldwell took a more methodical approach that required Manning to be more patient. (The 2006 playoff game is a good example.) That obviously has its plusses and minuses. There's always a fine line between being fearless/reckless and cautious/scared. (I think a perfect example is what happened in Denver. The Broncos played it conservatively, and it cost them the game, IMO.) The only reason the Ravens won the Super Bowl is because Harbaugh took off the "risk aversive" restraints and let the offense flow. Even with that, Caldwell was predictable with running on first down more than anything else. I think Caldwell is a better OC than Cameron, but I don't know if he's what the Ravens really need to get to the next level. So yeah...2013 will be a very interesting year.

Read this

When Huard joined the Colts as a backup in 2002, he felt confident walking into his first quarterbacks meeting with Manning and Caldwell. After spending the previous three seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, Huard had become proficient in the nuances of the West Coast offense — no easy feat. How difficult could it be to learn some new terminology? “I was thinking, I’ve got this whole thing licked,” Huard said.

He was mistaken, and he came to that realization within seconds of entering the room. Caldwell had covered every inch of several large whiteboards with opponents’ tendencies, plays for various downs and distances, routes, cuts, schemes, checks and reads. Caldwell’s penmanship was meticulous, Huard said, each formula and diagram etched with the steady hand of a surgeon. Huard found roughly 95 percent of it to be incomprehensible. After studying algebra, he had landed in a graduate-school seminar on thermodynamics.

“I remember calling my wife at minicamp and saying, ‘I can’t do this, this is crazy,’ ” Huard said. “There were actually times during the season when I was like, ‘Oh man, I hope Peyton doesn’t get hurt.’ Because what he and Jim were doing was so off-the-charts.”

Asked when he finally felt he had gotten up to speed, Huard said: “Never. That’s why I only lasted two years there.”

As far back as 1993, when Caldwell became the coach at Wake Forest, it was clear to his players that he refused to be wedded to a single offensive philosophy. Rusty LaRue, Caldwell’s first quarterback at the university, recalled that the coach was never complacent and always seeking advantages.

The first thing Caldwell did was scrap the team’s I-back scheme in favor of the spread. The next season, with his offense strengthened by one of the conference’s top running backs, he opted to keep the ball on the ground. Then, late in LaRue’s senior season, Caldwell opened things up again, letting LaRue throw the ball — and throw it some more. He completed an N.C.A.A.-record 55 passes in a game against Duke.

“Because that’s what Coach Caldwell thought it would take to win,” said LaRue, now an assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest. “He loves X’s and O’s, which is probably why he relates so well to quarterbacks. Most good quarterbacks, like Peyton and Flacco, have a really high IQ for the game, so they probably appreciate working with someone who has the same love for the nuances of an offense.”

Earlier this month, Caldwell said he still did not feel totally settled in as the team’s offensive coordinator. No coach ever feels completely comfortable, he said, not after three games, not after three years. It is a tenuous line of work — a lesson he learned from his time in Indianapolis.

For him, in his own quiet way, he can only try to control what happens after the next snap. He always has a plan.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Read this
    Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Good find PBG
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Good find PBG
    np i've posted it a few times, but nobody ever pays attention. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Read this
    Okay...

And? What's the point? That he's meticulous? That he's not wedded to any particular philosophy? Fine. It still remains to be seen what he does each game day against each different opponent. What you've presented is his cerebral side. What I've seen in real world football games is that along with all the prep, games are won in the heat of battle, in the waning moments of each half. And guys who have the creative mettle to meet those challenges win; those who try to lay it all out and reason it all out and are afraid to just let it fly lose more often than they win. This will be Caldwell's first full fledged stint as an NFL OC. I wish him well. But that's still no guarantee that he'll succeed. That's why this year will be very interesting.

It's like trying to define that elusive "it" quality for QBs. You can look at all the stats you want; and all the proper mechanics you want; some players simply have "it" and others don't. Caldwell certainly has some of that "it" quality; whether or not he's got enough of it to get this offense to the next level remains to be seen. I'm hoping he'll succeed; but my gut tells me he's too conservative. But that's why they play the games on Sunday. (Or Thursday. Or Saturday. Or Monday.) ;)

Blog Entries

Bum Phillips (referring to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bum_Phillips

I really think we will see that Caldwell will bring out the best in what his players have. Same thing Bum was saying about Shula.
    He will find ways to utilize the talent he has available
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old