Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Mellette

Blog Entries

Aaron Mellette

Marlon Brown is clearly going to develop as the season moves on, as long as he stays healthy.

Other than the obvious issue from last night, I had to agree with Chris Colllinsworth that Stokely looked gassed as well. Now, you can certainly attribute this to the first week, seeing that he is a veteran, but it's too early to look like that when teams like Denver look the way they do.

I think some consideration needs to be made in getting Aaron Mellette opportunities in the slot soon.

If the Ravens are going to struggle at TE, which they will for a while, they are going to have to go three wide far more often. Torrey and Marlon are both capable of succeeding on the outside and both can occasionally come across the middle. However, they'll need better production from the slot to supplement the needed production from the TE spot.

I'm not sure that Stokely is going to bring enough of it without his snaps being limited, much like Jones' snaps will be limited due to his return duties.

I think Mellette should get an opportunity in that role.

The reality is that, this year, the young guys are the best chance the Ravens have on offense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Aaron Mellette

I agree. Basically the future at the WR position is now and depending how long JJ12 will be out, it may force the Ravens hands.

I would like to know what's going on with Thompson who was never known for his hands, but apparently addressed that issue in the offseason. He would be a welcome sight in the slot (Wes Welker) type role.

Blog Entries

Thompson when he gets healthy, Mellette, Furstenburg, bring all of them in. What's the point of having veterans in front of them if they can't even perform the most basic functions of the position? Stokely is the only one that can catch worth a damn, but if they can't get the run game going or the TEs going, Stokely's going to have to play way more snaps than you would want.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Marlon Brown is clearly going to develop as the season moves on, as long as he stays healthy.

Other than the obvious issue from last night, I had to agree with Chris Colllinsworth that Stokely looked gassed as well. Now, you can certainly attribute this to the first week, seeing that he is a veteran, but it's too early to look like that when teams like Denver look the way they do.

I think some consideration needs to be made in getting Aaron Mellette opportunities in the slot soon.

If the Ravens are going to struggle at TE, which they will for a while, they are going to have to go three wide far more often. Torrey and Marlon are both capable of succeeding on the outside and both can occasionally come across the middle. However, they'll need better production from the slot to supplement the needed production from the TE spot.

I'm not sure that Stokely is going to bring enough of it without his snaps being limited, much like Jones' snaps will be limited due to his return duties.

I think Mellette should get an opportunity in that role.

The reality is that, this year, the young guys are the best chance the Ravens have on offense.
    Te best case scenario is both Deonte Thompson and Jacoby get back soon. Then Stokely's snaps can be limited. Torrey, Jacoby and Marlon would make a formidable trio IMO. I agree with you about Mellette as well. If he an start getting some snaps as well on the slot in place of Stokely that would help. If Deonte can get back he can take some of Jacoby's return duties. If they can get these guys healthy and the D picks up it won't be so bad. Heck, maybe even Pitta will make it back or they give Furstenberg a try.

Stokley's hands are great. No guarantee his replacement will be as reliable.

As for being "gassed," I am not so sure I buy it, though our whole team looked somewhat "gassed" in the second half.

Collinsworth's comment was dumb. It came after a play where Stokley took one of his routes vertical and actually had his man beat, and Flacco overthrew the ball. Collinsworth implied Stokley should have been able to outrun the DB and further increase the gap, which is nonsense.

Stokley is not a deep speed guy, nor should anyone consider him one. He is a sure-handed, quick chain-mover who can also occasionally take advantage of someone cheating and squatting on the short routes.

The play Collinsworth commented on took place at the end of the 3rd quarter. Late in the 4th quarter Stokley caught a short pass to the right and looked quick as a cat as he avoided a tackle and got 12 yards, no evidence he was "gassed" at all (or any more than any other player out there).

That said, sure, give Mellette some reps. It isn't like Stokley is anything more than a one year (or less) Band-Aid, and Mellette might excel. But on standard 3rd down plays, I think Stokley is probably our best option, and he looked fine to me last night, all things considered.

Blog Entries

What is the obsession with Thompson? Mines dtopped when he couldn't even beat out doss in camp. Like one poster said above the future of this crop is now Furst and Melette might as well give them the reps we already seen what the vets been doin and that shit aint gonna change, might as well have growing pains with young players versus vets.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Stokley's hands are great. No guarantee his replacement will be as reliable.

As for being "gassed," I am not so sure I buy it, though our whole team looked somewhat "gassed" in the second half.
    That's what surprised me. We held a 19-11 TOP advantage and had a whopping 47 offensive plans to their 29. If anyone was gassed, it should have been the Denver DL.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Except for Rice, T. Smith, Leach, Brown, etc., both Stokely and Clark looked old and slow. Stokely may be useful on occasion, but Dallas Clark should be cut from the team immediately. He hasn't shown me anything since he has been signed.

Last night was a microcosm of this season, if we don't get Flacco some reliable receivers. Also, what is with Ed Dickson? It looks to me like he has some Tandon Doss in him with all of those dropped passes. Can't he take a hit across the middle the way Pitta and Heap use to do?

I am telling you now, the Ravens better make some roster adjustments and fast, otherwise the pundits who think the Ravens have some sort of Super Bowl hangover will be right.

Blog Entries

Juicecheck and Furst should be given some reps asap.

Blog Entries

They'll work the young guys in during the season but I think Harbaugh would rather roll with the veterans. It may take time for things to settle in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    That's what surprised me. We held a 19-11 TOP advantage and had a whopping 47 offensive plans to their 29. If anyone was gassed, it should have been the Denver DL.
    Yeah, I agree. It looked like we simply were in worse game shape as a team. Obviously we are less accustomed to the altitude as well.

And we didn't really look all that gassed on defense until we had a spate of 3 and outs on offense just as the game broke open. So a combination of too little rest between series and being demoralized by the scoreboard might have led to guys dragging ass more than they might have otherwise.

"but Dallas Clark should be cut from the team immediately. He hasn't shown me anything since he has been here"

Wow!? This board is getting worse than YBR. Overreact much? Clark had 7 catches last night, granted that he had a drop in the end zone and was face masked which caused a fumble. If they cut Clark they might as well cut Huff, Bynes, Ihedigbo, Gradkowski and McClellan, who all also had a rough game in Denver. Clark at this point of his career is not the second coming of Dennis Pitta but what healthy Tight End on the roster is better? Dickson, Bajama, Furstenburg? a lot of posters are in love with Furstenburg but he practically did nothing in the preseason. I even read on this board that they should cut Clark and bring back Shaincoe, really? I think there is a reason Shaincoe was cut and why he was never active for New England last year.