Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Jaws just destroyed Skip on 1st take

Flacco has had bad games and will have more in the future, but the man knows how to win, three AFC Championships, one Super Bowl (should have been two) and 5 straight years in the playoffs. Without him we probably don't make the playoffs much less a Super Bowl.

That vid was so awesome

Typically against the whole "great article about Ravens" people sometimes post here (myself included) which aren't great articles at all, just people saying positive things with little substance and vice-versa

But Jaws echoed the understanding of an entire fan base in nothing more than a few minutes, really hit the nail on the head. The line about them looking at numbers vs him watching film = BOOOOOOOM!

I like how Danny's argument is how Flacco will have all this pressure now with expectations and things like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Flacco put a whole bunch of pressure and expectations on himself when he said he was an elite QB last season?

How long did it take for Eli Manning to get this media bias crap off his back?
    Last edited by CoverD; 08-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

r-fever-
    Not to put too fine a point on it, and certainly not to demean Flacco's accomplishments, but he did not win three AFC championships.

Quote Originally Posted by CoverD View Post
    I like how Danny's argument is how Flacco will have all this pressure now with expectations and things like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Flacco put a whole bunch of pressure and expectations on himself when he said he was an elite QB last season?

I love how now there is so much pressure.
    As if there wasn't any pressure playing on Superbowl Sunday.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    I love how now there is so much pressure.
    As if there wasn't any pressure playing on Superbowl Sunday.
    I think there's actually more pressure on fans then there is a Flacco.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoverD View Post

I dont think Eli ever caught it as bad as Joe has.

I mean at times it almost seems personal with him.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post

I agree. Eli got it from the media, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as Joe gets it.

I'm not one to whine about the media, but I don't get why they have it out for Joe. Most people outside of Baltimore just hate Joe for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post

Skip and Kannell stuck to the typical "yeah but look at regular season stats"
    That's the problem with a lot of these networks. There young producers are smitten with stats that will drive the enormous amount of fantasy leagues they sponsor.

The said part is that if Joe were to pull a Matt Stafford and throw for 5,000 yards and 40 TD's and the Ravens go 6-10 he'll be villified by a moron like Bayless as not being a leader. Then the disingenuous Stephen A will tepidly try to defend Joe. This is all done in the interest of ratings and sensationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    You can't look at the stats then use them to argue QBR is messed up. Because QBR, by design, totally ignores some stats, good and bad.

If a pick bounces off a receiver's hands first it is basically ignored by QBR. If a TD is thrown in the 4th quarter by a QB whose team is down by 4 TDs, against a prevent, half-trying defense it is basically ignored. A play where the QB avoids a stiff rush and throws an accurate ball for a 4 yard gain is given more weight than a play where the QB has all day and throws a 5 yard pass behind a slanting receiver who then takes it 50 yards for a TD. Etc., etc.

Totally fruitless exercise trying to use game stats to argue against QBR. All one can do is say it is overly subjective and graded by someone whose opinion (grading system) one disagrees with.
    Ratings are inherently subjective. The argument against QBR is that it repeatedly assigns a good grade to QB performances that are abysmal. It also assigns bad grades to QB performances that are good.

Now of course, that is subjective. But people who watch football know what good QB performances are, and what they are not. Passer rating is not perfect. It overvalues low risk offenses (e.g. West Coast) but the bottom line is if you point to a full game where a QB had a passer rating of 112, that QB played a good game. I guarantee it. If you point to a full game where a QB had a passer rating of 15, that QB did not have a good game. Guaranteed.

You cannot do the same thing with QBR. That's why as a stat, it's worthless. It doesn't tell you anything.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post

Eli had it much worse for years. The local media in NY is 10 times as big as the Baltimore media. Eli refused to play for the Chargers, the Giants traded a boatload of picks to draft Eli and there was the pressure of being the brother of Peyton. Eli was slammed from day 1. It's only after he won his 2nd Super Bowl that he started getting a little respect.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Hot-
    I think you make some excellent points, and IMO they are more profound than a casual fan will recognize. What I read and hear a lot of (not on THIS forum, obviously! ;)) is the concept that many stats act almost as absolute predictors of success. Outside of Ravens fans, fervent Titans fans, and a very few others, how many fans recall who was the "#1 Defense" in the NFL in 2000-2001? Given that stat, which team's defense would you have rather had?

Stats do have their place in assessing things, but I see way too much FFL-mentality application with the media and others.