Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Virginia Redskins? Why we should care .....

Redskins interest in moving south appears to be picking up. In addition to having been headquartered in the Northern Virginia suburbs for decades, the Landover team moved their training camp this year to a new facility in Richmond. While their fans have been mumbling about this since the day the mistake by the Landover Mall opened, it now appears to be coming out in public:

both Virginia and D.C. are looking to lure the Redskins from their suburban Maryland home. The siting process the last time around was highly competitive, meaning that it'll almost certainly require plenty of public funds to lure the stadium to one locale or another. Virginia governor Bob McDonnell and D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray have both taken a direct interest in the possibility of bringing the team in-house.

“We’d love that opportunity,” McDonnell said. “If the right group of business and government folks came together to make an offer, it could happen.”
    What's our interest? Simple: Growing the Ravens fan base as the Heathen, abandoned by the Redskins' move south, convert their allegiance to the Ravens.

Redskins attendance right now is relatively evenly split between Maryland and Virginia residents, with just token participation by those who actually admit to being residents of DC. Within the Redskins fan base, there's little wealth in Maryland outside of Montgomery County, contrasted to Fairfax, Loudon, Fauquier etc in Virginia. Plus a decent sized metropolis surrounding Richmond. Should the Redskins build a new stadium in Virginia sufficiently far out to be more attractive to the wealthier suburbs and Richmond, more Marylanders will switch allegiances.

Why do we care? It's to keep demand high for Ravens tickets by expanding the fan base by another million or three. We like to think about our loyal fan base, but our support historically has been fragile. There were few Colts sellouts after Unitas was dumped, and support dwindled for Ravens teams in losing seasons (96-98 and 05 + 07). Inevitably, this team will hit a down cycle and would want a bigger fan base - even if that means annexing Montgomery & PG Counties and Southern Maryland.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Re: Virginia Redskins? Why we should care .....

Since they are in a contract with that stadium through 2026 I'm not sure if they could move before then.

My guess is PG County is most likely destination if they do relocate; then NVA

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I'm fine with the Ravens trying to grow their market, but all the Redskin fans I know continue to ridicule us when Ozzie and Harbaugh talk of trying to "take over" the D.C. area. It gets a little headache-y

Honestly, just be appealing by continuing to have a great team and by having Ravens events (practices, signings, etc) in Southern Central MD like the Navy practice. That should take care of the "stray" fans who aren't dead set on allegiances.

That said, I'm fine with having them move their tails down to Richmond. One MD team would be fine by me.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Since they are in a contract with that stadium through 2026 I'm not sure if they could move before then.

Don't they OWN that stadium though? I'm sure Danny Boy Snyder will figure a way out of that lease. One of the most slippery owners in the NFL.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

That stadium is horrible. The one game I attended it took forever to get there with gridlocked traffic and parking so far away you can't see the stadium. You're on the other side of the capital beltway and have to hop on a bus to get to there. the upper deck view is like watching ants. I'll never go to another game there again even if you gave me tickets.

Aren't they already in PG County or are you suggesting another location in the same county?

I think ideally, Snyder would want a stadium in the district. But of course, it's going to come down to who offers the most money.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Don't they OWN that stadium though? I'm sure Danny Boy Snyder will figure a way out of that lease. One of the most slippery owners in the NFL.
    it's a lease but as you say that doesn't necessarily mean they can't negotiate out of it
    Last edited by Ravenswintitle; 08-19-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok, I have to use wikipedia here, but look...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExField

Owner: Daniel Snyder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26T_Bank_Stadium

Owner: Maryland Stadium Authority

Blog Entries

I remember a lot of public funds going into that stadium and they're bound by a lease through 2026. Again, anything can be negotiated but the article that the OP posted states this and also says it's a 10 year process, thus why they're thinking about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Ok, I have to use wikipedia here, but look...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExField

Owner: Daniel Snyder
    IIRC, it's a land lease, i.e. PG County owns the land (former Wilson's Farm which the govt confiscated via eminent domain around 1996). Snyder owns the building that sits on the land.

As to the 2026 lease term: It's doubtful that Snyder would owe PG County anything beyond unpaid rents if he were to bolt early. Perhaps restoral of the property. If McDonnell were to offer a sweet enough deal, Snyder may be willing to absorb lease-breaking penalties.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Winning grows a fan base. It doesn't make one lick of difference what Skins fans do or don't do, especially 14 years from now.

Movement of their home stadium is not going to all of a sudden make Redskins fans into Ravens fans. And if you (royal) think they're going to change their name to the Virginia Redskins, I have a tunnel in Baltimore I'd like to sell you.

I think it's a forgone conclusion the new digs will be in DC somewhere, considering the success of Nats Park on the harbor. VA is simply in the game to drive up the bid.

This is though, a very smart business move on Snyder's part, one I wish our owner would embrace if he hasn't already. The team laid a small turd with this "upgrade" they've tried to sell and, when compared to other stadia, we still have a cookie cutter venue that will be obsolete in 5-7 years.

I remember a lot of public funds going into that stadium and they're bound by a lease through 2026. Again, anything can be negotiated but the article that the OP posted states this and also says it's a 10 year process, thus why they're thinking about it now.
    I wouldn't say "a lot" of public funds. It was only $70.5 Million, according to this web site.

Syder has that in the cushions of his couch and can easily pay that off to move early.

For a stadium that's not that old it's consistently in the discussion for the worst in the NFL. Renovations aren't going to solve the biggest issue, accessibility. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ssibility.html
    Interesting that Baltimore is #2 on the list. No surprise the 2 NY teams are at the bottom. Moving to NVA is still going to have access issues unless they can find land near a subway station.