Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Jimmy still struggling

im sensing a common theme in these threads... young players being criticized for not progressing fast enough. Dont we have a track record that says they will though? Part of the reason i always give young players the benefit of doubt is because of Ozzie and the staffs track record that says these guys will eventually step up. its not 100%, but typically they have at differing time frames.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    im sensing a common theme in these threads... young players being criticized for not progressing fast enough. Dont we have a track record that says they will though? Part of the reason i always give young players the benefit of doubt is because of Ozzie and the staffs track record that says these guys will eventually step up. its not 100%, but typically they have at differing time frames.
    I think people are just worried about the lack of improvement.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    So where is this same patience for Shianco? I mean, shouldn't we give him a few years to learn how to catch again before saying he blows?
    Shiancoe is a 10+ year vet.

I dont even see how that is comparable.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    These guys we draft early to play, hopefully, every down, during the season, in my opinion should not be on special teams. Not that they are above playing special teams, but that is not why they drafted them so high.
    Every single team in the league does this. Until the NFL expands the rosters so that teams can carry more "ST Only" guys, it will continue to happen.

Blog Entries

almost looked like Smith was expecting help on a couple of these but Julio has burned good corners one on one before so it happens.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201308...alyze=boxscore

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I too wanted him in that draft and was very happy we got him.
    I guess everyone's road is different.
    I am still hoping he pulls it all together.
    I thought his play during the playoffs was a big turning point for him from a confidence point of view.
    He has shown flashes. He is not done yet.
    I recall Jamie Sharper taking until his 3rd year for the light to go on.
    I am hoping for the same thing for Jimmy.
    And I do remember Jimmy getting hurt on the very first play of his first season on the kickoff...and thinking...why is our 1st rounder covering kicks??? Maybe that's just me.
    But then again, last night, I saw Brown and Elam on the kickoff cover team and wondered...what if either one of them got hurt early on while on special teams.
    These guys we draft early to play, hopefully, every down, during the season, in my opinion should not be on special teams. Not that they are above playing special teams, but that is not why they drafted them so high.
    Jimmy was the guy we all wanted in that draft. I still want him. It does seem like mental
    mistakes. He had the skills when he came here. His interceptions were down in college
    because they seldom threw to his side - always away from him.

He would have been a top 10 pick if not for some baggage from trouble he got into early
    in his college career but as he always says, he was clean the last couple of years and
    squeaky clean here.

He's not a bust yet but the fans' patience is running short. I bet so are the coaches.

Jimmy isn't going to be the guy I (and I think most Ravens fans) hoped he'd be: Chris McAlister reborn. Having said that, I think he'll be a fine corner and like Webb is just taking his sweet ol' time getting his technique and footwork down. He doesn't have the pure instincts of a CB, but he does have the instincts of a football player if that makes sense. He knows what he's supposed to do, but I can tell it's just not instantaneous for him. His size and speed kind of mask that a bit but on plays like the pass to Jones where it was just a *perfect* pass and he played it, there was nothing ANY CB could have done in that situation. I don't care who you are, you can't defend a perfect fade route. You just can't. Joe proved that on MANY occasions in the playoffs. Zinno can suck my balls. Jimmy played his man, kept the route in front of him, looked back for the ball, used his hands and feet and the ball was still caught. Why? Because it was put EXACTLY where QBs are supposed to put that ball for their 6'4" receiver who just has to look it in.

After saying all that, I DO *wish* Jimmy was CMac, but he's not. What he is though is a pretty talented big, physical DB who has enough speed to keep up with faster guys and enough size to get in bigger receivers way. I know I'm being an apologist but Hell I like the kid. He's had a rough couple of years getting roughed up doing other duties besides what he was drafted for. My biggest wish is that he gets to play all year without major injury for once and that that light bulb has a chance to go off.

Also, once again I know I'm homering. Thinking about it though I just wish someone would tell him to just play football. Let loose. He's been here three years: he knows where he's supposed to be. He knows where everyone else is supposed to be. He knows how to play his position. He knows what's expected. All that's left is to relax and play some damn football. I think he's getting in his own way, much like Boller did.

Blog Entries

Jimmy still struggling

Watching the replay, it looks like they played zone exclusively. On a couple of those plays Smith was in position but the catch was still made. Couple others he looked like he expected help or maybe he just got himself out of position. Hard to tell. He is playing off for some reason

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Jimmy isn't going to be the guy I (and I think most Ravens fans) hoped he'd be: Chris McAlister reborn. Having said that, I think he'll be a fine corner and like Webb is just taking his sweet ol' time getting his technique and footwork down. He doesn't have the pure instincts of a CB, but he does have the instincts of a football player if that makes sense. He knows what he's supposed to do, but I can tell it's just not instantaneous for him. His size and speed kind of mask that a bit but on plays like the pass to Jones where it was just a *perfect* pass and he played it, there was nothing ANY CB could have done in that situation. I don't care who you are, you can't defend a perfect fade route. You just can't. Joe proved that on MANY occasions in the playoffs. Zinno can suck my balls. Jimmy played his man, kept the route in front of him, looked back for the ball, used his hands and feet and the ball was still caught. Why? Because it was put EXACTLY where QBs are supposed to put that ball for their 6'4" receiver who just has to look it in.

After saying all that, I DO *wish* Jimmy was CMac, but he's not. What he is though is a pretty talented big, physical DB who has enough speed to keep up with faster guys and enough size to get in bigger receivers way. I know I'm being an apologist but Hell I like the kid. He's had a rough couple of years getting roughed up doing other duties besides what he was drafted for. My biggest wish is that he gets to play all year without major injury for once and that that light bulb has a chance to go off.
    Good post. Jimmy Smith is what he is. He'll play out his contract and if things don't get better he'll move on. That's the way the Ravens handle draft picks who don't pan out.

Blog Entries

I'm looking for jimmy to build on what we saw from him in the SB. He just needs to stay healthy. I'm not going to get hung up or draw any conclusions from anything I see in a few preseason games. Its just glorified practice. Let's see what he puts on the field starting week 1. Biggest thing for jimmy IMO is to get a full season healthy under his belt.

The biggest thing I'm seeing this preseason is that the coaching staff is forcing Jimmy to play off a lot and to play zone. It's not conducive to his strengths, but its preseason so I assume that once the games matter, they'll let him play man up, which despite a lot of hand wringing about his tendency to bite on double moves, is clearly his strength.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron