Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depth

Depth

I've never seen anything like it on a Ravens' team. There's a reason teams have a 53-man roster. We will find the #2 WR. That's truly the only question mark.

Ozzie truly is a genius.

BTW...the Daryl Smith signing to replace #52 is actually beyond genius.

Re: Depth

I have to agree with the Darryl Smith signing. He has looked awesome. We just need him to stay healthy. I think that was an issue he had at J-Ville

depth...we have it.

IF Ozzie is not the smartest GM I don't know who is. This guy is brilliant

Blog Entries

If Smith can stay healthy he is one of the best

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Smith only missed a few games before last year. If we still had Ellerbe, that would be a concern.

iggyman555 Guest

we are reallly really realy deep

Blog Entries

Phil Savage tweeted this last night:

"Last 5 SB winners and 7 of last 10 have won at least 2 preseason games. 46/60 playoff teams since '08 won 2+ (77%)"

Now, those could just be coincidental numbers, or they could have some meaning.

To me, this shows the depth of a team, because the majority of preseason games are played out by the #2/3's.

So, it shows that during the course of a season, you need depth. I absolutely believe this is a large part of our success. Can teams get by having superior 1st string talent? Sure. And if they get lucky and don't suffer any major injuries they can probably do quite well. But when injury hits, and the replacements come in, how will you survive? Last year, even in a down year defensively, we were able to effectively cover for the loss of Suggs, Webb and Ray. Because of our depth. It is very important.

Blog Entries

I completely agree with the depth of this team. It's because of this that I disagree with those that say preseason doesn't matter. While I don't put much stock in the 1st half, I do put a lot in the 2nd half. This is where the real game begins. These are the guys that are going all out to make the team. If your backups constantly play the other team's backups it means you have depth. It's why when injuries occurr the Ravens always have the "Next Man Up". It means when your starters are on the sideline taking a breather there's not a lot of drop off. It's why the Ravens are a perennial playoff team.

Ravens did the same thing last year. Once the starters for both teams left the Ravens dominated the preseason games. Same thing this year. I would not rule out a trade for a TE either.

Blog Entries

For contrast, look at the Jets. No depth whatsoever and when someone gets hurt it really shows

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Pat Kirwan was talking about our D-line depth yesterday.
    Said that our backup d-line of Williams/Cody/Spears could start for some teams.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold