Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Re: Boldin Replaced by Durmervil and Huff?

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    As long as he stays healthy, Smith is going to make a huge contribution to this year's team. He is the perfect example why Ozzie didn't budge on the $2mil difference with Boldin. As far as comparing the positions. I wonder if you look at the top 10 ILBs and then top 10 WRs and what teams they are on...which teams were more successful last year?
    I don't even know how to determine the top 10 ILBs, frankly. Nor am I sure it would make sense to compare the top 10 in each category if we could agree on the rankings (why not top 12 or top 16, etc.)

I do know that WRs are paid more, despite there being more of them that see the field.

I also know that in terms of our team, we have plugged in several UDFAs at ILB and had them play well, Bart Scott, McClain, Ellerbe, while having serious trouble finding good WRs, let alone finding them from the middle of the draft and later. I also think McClellan and Bynes looked fairly decent in their opportunities; obviously a bit raw here and there, but no red flags that indicate they cannot become serviceable to good starters.

I also think it is much harder to win it all these days if you have a subpar offense than a subpar defense.

And my assessment of the value of ILB as a position is obviously a relative one. Of course you want your ILBs to be the best they can be, and be good, etc., but not at the expense of pass rushers, imo, or coverage CBs, imo, or run-stuffing tackles, imo, or TE/WR covering safeties, imo. Or QB, or OL, or WR...maybe RB is a comparable position, where you are more likely to be able to plug in semi-average guys and not suffer a severe drop off like you might doing it at another position.

As for Torrey, I hope you are right. But I think if he does not significantly become more productive it will be because other teams simply focus on him while ignoring our #2 and #3 WRs, since he is by far the most consistent, proven threat in our receiving corps. Obviously I hope Dallas Clark lights it up, Jacoby steps it up, and Stokley/Doss (whoever) moves the chains, but I don't think any of those, let alone all, are a given. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I don't even know how to determine the top 10 ILBs, frankly. Nor am I sure it would make sense to compare the top 10 in each category if we could agree on the rankings (why not top 12 or top 16, etc.)

I do know that WRs are paid more, despite there being more of them that see the field.

I also know that in terms of our team, we have plugged in several UDFAs at ILB and had them play well, Bart Scott, McClain, Ellerbe, while having serious trouble finding good WRs, let alone finding them from the middle of the draft and later. I also think McClellan and Bynes looked fairly decent in their opportunities; obviously a bit raw here and there, but no red flags that indicate they cannot become serviceable to good starters.

I also think it is much harder to win it all these days if you have a subpar offense than a subpar defense.

And my assessment of the value of ILB as a position is obviously a relative one. Of course you want your ILBs to be the best they can be, and be good, etc., but not at the expense of pass rushers, imo, or coverage CBs, imo, or run-stuffing tackles, imo, or TE/WR covering safeties, imo. Or QB, or OL, or WR...maybe RB is a comparable position, where you are more likely to be able to plug in semi-average guys and not suffer a severe drop off like you might doing it at another position.

As for Torrey, I hope you are right. But I think if he does not significantly become more productive it will be because other teams simply focus on him while ignoring our #2 and #3 WRs, since he is by far the most consistent, proven threat in our receiving corps. Obviously I hope Dallas Clark lights it up, Jacoby steps it up, and Stokley/Doss (whoever) moves the chains, but I don't think any of those, let alone all, are a given. Fingers crossed.
    Sorry...I was talking about Daryl Smith and his importance to the team replacing Ray. I think his experience and leadership will help ease the transition at that position. He's also still a pretty damn good player when healthy. I hear you about who we've plugged and played at ILB, but they've all had the luxury of playing next to Ray.

I did my own "semi" comparison and it's pretty much a wash. You have guys like C. Johnson, Marshall, Vincent Jackson and Dez Bryant who have yet to get their teams over the top. The Texans and Bengals have certainly had some success with A. Johnson and Green, but haven't made a serious run. You can pretty much say the same with Atlanta and White and Jones.

On the flip side, the ILBs are a little more subjective, but you have guys like Daryl Washington, Derrick Johnson, Sean Lee and Laurinaitis whose teams haven't had success.

You make a good point about the pay grade of positions though.

It's just all going to have to play out and Flacco will actually have a huge role in the outcome of the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Suggs looks great so far. If he has a great season, why wouldn't the Ravens just extend him to get cap relief next year? The reason I don't think they will extend Ngata is because he has talked about retiring in the next few years.
    Oh, an extension for Suggs is definitely a possibility, but he's going to have to earn it. If he does, I don't doubt they will look to extend him and reduce that 2014 Cap number.

If he doesn't, IMO, there's definitely a possibility that he's not back.

I was only saying that either way, I don't think he's playing here next year under the present terms of his deal. As I said, I think he realizes that too. It's almost akin to his being a FA year for him in that he's playing to earn his next deal.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap