Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Boldin Replaced by Durmervil and Huff?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I am basing it off of what Boldin did under Cameron. That's what we're really used to. It won't be hard for Stokely to match that, or even do better than that. The Ravens have a better offensive line and coordinator. That production can be duplicated and surpassed.
    Ok then how do you replace Boldin's playoff production?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    You don't try. That's the point.

There's no guarantee that someone getting hot in the playoffs will continue in the following regular season. Hell, there's no guarantee we will see the playoffs this year.

If you based salaries / value on playoff success alone then Mark Rypien should have been one of the highest paid QB's to ever play the game.

David Tyree should have received a monster contract. Instead the Giants let him walk.

There's dozens of other stories like this. Boldin is nothing new to the league but very new to the Ravens.

We here it all the time. Just get in the playoffs because you never know what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    There is no evidence that Boldin's playoff production is a necessary condition for winning a Super Bowl; furthermore there is no evidence that a Super Bowl can't be won with only 75-80 percent of Boldin's production (which I think is attainable with our current players).

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    We don't win the Superbowl if Boldin is putting up regular season stats. 0% chance.
    Maybe. Maybe not. If Boldin wasn't on the team, the offense wouldn't be playing 10-on-11. Somebody else would be in that spot. Would that person do what Boldin did? Maybe not, but then again, if the person in that spot was an inferior player, the focus of the offensive play calling would have been different. Maybe somebody else like Torrey, Pitta or Rice plays a larger role because they become a greater focus.

But all that "if" stuff is pretty irrelevant. The Ravens won the Super Bowl in large part to the way Boldin played. That doesn't mean another player can't function successfully in a newly designed offense in 2013. And (not that you have done it), but comparing stats is pretty irrelevant, too. No one on the 2013 roster has to match Boldin's stats. They just have to perform successfully in Caldwell's schemes.

Blog Entries

Do you see the way this defense is shaping up? It's going to eat last year's defense for lunch.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. If Boldin wasn't on the team, the offense wouldn't be playing 10-on-11. Somebody else would be in that spot. Would that person do what Boldin did? Maybe not, but then again, if the person in that spot was an inferior player, the focus of the offensive play calling would have been different. Maybe somebody else like Torrey, Pitta or Rice plays a larger role because they become a greater focus.
    This can be said about every single player on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    But all that "if" stuff is pretty irrelevant. The Ravens won the Super Bowl in large part to the way Boldin played. That doesn't mean another player can't function successfully in a newly designed offense in 2013. And (not that you have done it), but comparing stats is pretty irrelevant, too. No one on the 2013 roster has to match Boldin's stats. They just have to perform successfully in Caldwell's schemes.
    The whole debate is irrelevant, but that doesn't mean we are not all taking part in it.

As for having a "successful" offense, yes, that is the goal. Actually, having a "successful" team is the goal. If the offense sucks arse, then the defense can always step up and play like the 2000 Ravens. Ring #3!

Do you see the way this defense is shaping up? It's going to eat last year's defense for lunch.
    It looks a lot better up front and on the outside, that is for sure. We'll see about ILB and safety. Those are the only possible question marks, imo, and so far they don't look bad at all.

Blog Entries

Brandon Stokely can give you the regular season production that Boldin gave you, especially with Caldwell calling the plays, at a small fraction of the price.
    Stokely isn't going to take over games like Boldin had a tendency to do. Think Browns, Cardinals, Colts, Niners, etc.

I like the Stokely signing but he is pretty old and nowhere near the WR that Boldin is right now. Hopefully he stays healthy and can still get open.

Another thing about Boldin; it took him and Joe a good couple of years to really get on the same page, culminating in the offensive explosion during the SB run. Hopefully him and Stokely click from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Another thing about Boldin; it took him and Joe a good couple of years to really get on the same page, culminating in the offensive explosion during the SB run. Hopefully him and Stokely click from the start.
    It was 3 years. I posted on another thread since the Boldin discussion is hijacking just about every thread on here redundantly, I have no problem arguing with equal redundancy. You're ignoring the obvious changes that took place while everything else remained static. Joe and Boldin were the same. The OL got reshuffled giving Joe a cleaner pocket and Caldwell changed the offense by throwing much more than Cam towards the middle of the field and even allowed Joe roll-outs to buy time. We found out Joe is very accurate if he's not being rushed. Afterall, hitting those tight windows for a slow receiver chugging down the field isn't easy. We'll be fine, Joe will develop chemistry with someone else.

It matters in the context of the argument that Ozzie and others are establishing.

That one thing led to the other. That without one thing there could not have been the other. In the case of Canty the former statement (as well as the latter) is definitely false.
    Let's be clear on something, Boldin was traded before Canty was signed. The Boldin trade is listed on the official NFL transactions report on 3/12. He also appears on the NFLPA records as being on SF as of then.

Canty was signed on 3/13.

In the end, I really don't think it matters because Canty was just the first piece of he rebuilding the D plan, but he FWIW was signed after the trade was officially completed according to the league.

Yes, Boldin still had to take his physical, but despite what a lot of the media was saying, the trade was official, given its disclosure in the transactions logs and his appearance on SF's cap (and off of the Ravens'). Had he failed the physical, SF would have rescinded the trade, but that doesn't change that it was official from the NFL's perspective. Had SF voided the trade, the Ravens would have had 24-hours to get their Cap in order.

That's exactly what happened with Eric Wright, TB and SF late last month. This trade was listed on the transaction reports on 7/19 and then on 7/24, it's noted that trade was voided and Wright reverts back to TB when he (wink, wink) failed his physical. Also, on that same day, TB released him.

So, as of 3/12, the NFL considered Boldin to be a 49er and he was off the Ravens' Cap. I wrote about it then:

http://russellstreetreport.com/boldi...ince-march-12/

BTW, I don't think Ozzie is attempting to establish any sort of argument - he's simply stating what they set out to do and why they did it. They needed Cap space, they weren't going to pay Boldin $6M and he was the best place to start looking for the needed Cap space. They still wanted to keep him - and tried - and had they been able to do so, they would have looked elsewhere for that needed Cap space (Leach, IMO), but once Boldin balked, they moved on and got the space they need to do what they wanted (and then Dumervil fell into their laps).

I certainly understand that people disagree with the plan, but I don't understand anyone saying that they are some how covering their tracks now, or whatever.

I think it's pretty clear that they felt they needed to fix the D and needed money from the O to do so. Given his age and high base salary, Boldin (like Suggs is going to be in 2014) was the single easiest place to start.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

BWe don't win the Superbowl if Boldin is putting up regular season stats. 0% chance.
    Disputable, first of all, but also irrelevant. Boldin's 2012 postseason is still property of the Baltimore Ravens and it always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Disputable, first of all, but also irrelevant. Boldin's 2012 postseason is still property of the Baltimore Ravens and it always will be.
    I am honestly not sure what the point of your post is. My apologies.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 08-13-2013 at 01:54 AM.