Got back from the open practice yesterday and had some observations for those who weren't there. I focused much on the receivers since in limited contact, you can still make a good judgement on who is playing well and who isn't.

1) The two most impressive receivers on the field were (Besides Torrey) David Reed and Aaron Mellete. Reed had one drop on a tough contortion catch near the sidelines but in terms of contested catches, he made a few tough ones in the endzone with defenders in close pursuit.

In Mellette, I think we got a good late round receiver finally. He is fluid with his routes, he is big, and his hands are fantastic. He made the catch of the day on a post with two defenders all over him; credit the beautiful pass by Tyrod Taylor, but Mellette made an even better catch and moved quickly up the field for what would have been a 30-40 yard gain. The kid can play and he might see the field sooner rather than later.

LaQuan Williams earned honorable mention honors as he put together another impressive practice at receiver. Great hands and just a dependable big target. Made more than a few difficult catches that got the crowd going.

2) Doss played almost the entire practice with the 1's in the slot. He didn't do much. He had a few catches here and there but when he was in, Joe targeted Torrey and Jacoby for the most part. Also went to Shiancoe a lot.

3) With the way Shiancoe played I'm guessing this Dallas Clark move is in response to him; I don't think both Shiancoe and Clark will make the roster. Shiancoe was pretty much just there. He made a few catches, could move, but didn't offer anything after the catch and had some drops. If you're looking for a guy to fill a Pitta role, Clark is probably better for that than Shiancoe.

4) Elam didn't play all that much. When he did, Ihedgibo was clearly starting ahead of him in the safety spot during full team drills. Don't know what it necessarily means, but hopefully he'll take that spot sooner rather than later.

5) Arthur Brown and Josh Bynes are neck and neck in terms of competing for the spot beside Darryl Smith. In 11 v 11, Brown started out next to Smith but was immediately replaced by Bynes during the second play. Both looked fluid and dynamic so we're in good shape no matter who plays.

6) Thompson and Marlon Brown didn't practice.

7) Streeter won't make the team. He hardly got any reps and it's clear that the team is moving on from him.

8) Jacoby had a very good practice. He had a lot of targets and was open most of the time and didn't drop too many balls. Feel more comfortable with him on the outside.

9) Stokely showed up to practice in sweats and the crowd gave him a big round of applause.