Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Any thoughts on Cary Williams?

I just found it amusing that Cary was talking about how tough the Ravens run defense was, and how the Eagles should emulate it. Wasn't the Ravens defense ranked 20th in the league against the run last year? Regardless of what Cary has said is true or not, he isn't the person to say it. He just got there, and should take a page out of Daryl Smith's book, and lead by playing well, not by calling his teammates out in the media.
    Last edited by Dirt1; 08-13-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I often wonder if Cary Williams lining up so far off the receiver was by design.

It just never made any sense to me. The year before he was in receiver's faces, jamming and playing physical as hell. The next year? Soft coverage and gave up numerous first downs.
    I think it was. Pagano wanted them to jam and trusted our pass rush to get there quick so as to not give up a big play. I think when Suggs went down Pees decided to play safe with the secondary and have them off the line. Jimmy was the same. I remember one game, I think SD, where he was begging to play press. seems to me the players were just following direction rather than doing what they felt best at.

Itll be interesting to see how he plays the secondary this year with Webb back and our Pass Rush should be one of the better in the league.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I just found it amusing that Cary was talking about how tough the Ravens run defense was, and how the Eagles should emulate it. Wasn't the Ravens defense ranked 20th in the league against the run last year? Regardless of what Cary has said is true or not, he isn't the person to say it. He just got there, and should take a page out of Daryl Smith's book, and lead by playing well, not by calling his teammates out in the media.
    Disagree on both points.

During Cary's time the run defense and the D in general was dominate. The exception was last year when basically played without their best corner, best defender and team leader. It also didn't help that Ngata was banged up, Ed got old and Cody was horrific. With all those issues being average might have been an over achievement.

As for his comments while he should've made them behind closed doors he was right. He's a relatively high priced FA compared to Darryl Smith who's on a one year vet min. deal. The Iggles other than Demaco Ryan and Trent Cole lack leadership on defense so why not Cary who has won a SB and played on some of the best defenses in the last decade. The media and people crushed Nnamdi for his playand lack of leadership. Cary while misguided is only trying to fill a void that's sorely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    severely under appreciated by this fan base. I dont think were better off without him because frankly we didnt add to the position. I dont see how this is a case of addition by subtraction even in the slightest and people really do tend to look past his coming off hernia compared to what he was at the end of the year.
    We are better this year than we were last year. Not necessarily because he is not on the team but because 3rd year Jimmy, Graham and Webb are superior to Williams, 2nd year Jimmy and Graham.

Williams had some great moments and some bad spots. He was very lucky to not be tossed in the Super Bowl. He is a bit of a hot head. I wish him well and thank him as we probably do not make it to the superbowl or win without him stepping up and being a starter. You can say that about most full time starters from last year. I am appreciative to every one of them.

I do expect him to take a step back in Philly. Ravens coaching staff always seems to bring the best out in the guys. Probably the consistency in the staff and message for so many years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    We are better this year than we were last year. Not necessarily because he is not on the team but because 3rd year Jimmy, Graham and Webb are superior to Williams, 2nd year Jimmy and Graham.

Williams had some great moments and some bad spots. He was very lucky to not be tossed in the Super Bowl. He is a bit of a hot head. I wish him well and thank him as we probably do not make it to the superbowl or win without him stepping up and being a starter. You can say that about most full time starters from last year. I am appreciative to every one of them.

I do expect him to take a step back in Philly. Ravens coaching staff always seems to bring the best out in the guys. Probably the consistency in the staff and message for so many years.
    My thought is it was Webb Williams Smith/Graham before Webbs injury last year. so if Williams was still here it would be the same unless somebody feels Graham or Smith has jumped Williams, which i just dont think weve seen yet. I understand if you account for Webbs injury well be better because hes here vs not however i dont think that really plays into Williams place amongst the DBs. he was a starter regardless of Webbs injury last year.
    -JAB

I can't believe how long this thread is. I haven't had a thought about Cary Williams since last year.

Two things.
    First Williams should have been at OTA's and not missing the majority of practices before speaking out like that,

Second. His comments were absolutely spot on. The Eagles aren't even tackling to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I haven't heard any outrage over letting him walk. He's an OK corner with a chip on his shoulder. Glad he refused to sign for 3 years now.
    My thoughts exactly. The guy had heart, and that heart has some dead tissue. Really harrowing childhood/family dynamics, IIRC. Fucked up a ride in D-I (Florida?), at Fordham (I-AA), buried at washburn Univ. His own worst enemy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    As for his comments while he should've made them behind closed doors he was right. He's a relatively high priced FA compared to Darryl Smith who's on a one year vet min. deal. The Iggles other than Demaco Ryan and Trent Cole lack leadership on defense so why not Cary who has won a SB and played on some of the best defenses in the last decade. The media and people crushed Nnamdi for his playand lack of leadership. Cary while misguided is only trying to fill a void that's sorely needed.
    A leader without any followers is just a guy taking a walk. Do you really think anyone in the Eagles locker room was saying, "Damn Cary, thank you for saying what needed to be said." Cary Williams is an ok player, who got a lot of publicity last year because the Ravens won the Super Bowl, and was able to cash in on that win. Daryl Smith has been a far better football player over a much longer period of time. He has just been playing on a bad team and in a small market in Jacksonville. The only reason Smith signed a one year vet minimum deal is because he is coming off of a injury. BTW, Pitta will likely have to sign a similar contract next year to prove that he is healthy. Cary needs to show that he can play at a high level, before the Eagles are going to look to him to provide leadership. And no one is going to regard a player calling out his teammates in the media as an example of providing leadership.

Cary was also guilty of the single stupidest play of the year. Shoving a ref in the Super Bowl? Are you f-ing kidding me? He was incredibly lucky not to have been immediately shown the door, and if he had, we most likely do not host our second Lombardi.

Solid starting-caliber corner, nothing special. I won't miss anybody who is undisciplined enough to do something that galactically stupid.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Cary was also guilty of the single stupidest play of the year. Shoving a ref in the Super Bowl? Are you f-ing kidding me? He was incredibly lucky not to have been immediately shown the door, and if he had, we most likely do not host our second Lombardi.

Solid starting-caliber corner, nothing special. I won't miss anybody who is undisciplined enough to do something that galactically stupid.
    He didn't even get flagged for that though. The ref knew it was unintentional.

I can't believe all the criticism Cary, and Pollard for that matter, take from this fan base. When did Ravens fans grow weary of aggressive defenders with a nasty streak? Its been this organizations bread and butter since '98-'99.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    He didn't even get flagged for that though. The ref knew it was unintentional.

I can't believe all the criticism Cary, and Pollard for that matter, take from this fan base. When did Ravens fans grow weary of aggressive defenders with a nasty streak? Its been this organizations bread and butter since '98-'99.
    Players can have an aggressive streak, but its not an excuse for not playing smart. Cary could've been flagged and ejected for that push in the SB. VERY lucky he wasn't.

Harbs has made it a point that only tough, versatile, and SMART football players will be on this team. It's changed the culture of the team, and made the Ravens one of the most respectable organizations in the league, modeled after the Patriots. IMO I'm glad we're no longer the Raiders of the east coast.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller