Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

Two guys that are known for just about all the Ravens need from their slot WR and TE.

1.) They run very good routes
    2.) They catch the ball when it's thrown to them (Not sure what happened to Clark in Tampa Bay)
    3.) They are familiar with Caldwell's system, albeit still having to get used to some of Baltimore's verbiage.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Wonder if Clark is getting sniffs from other teams like the Niners or Patriots or Steelers.

Blog Entries
    Can Clark split out wide at all? I was thinking maybe you use Clark in Boldins old role, Stockley in the slot and Dickson as the true TE.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Can Clark split out wide at all? I was thinking maybe you use Clark in Boldins old role, Stockley in the slot and Dickson as the true TE.
    He did it in Indy so it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think this is basically what they'll look to do, but if you're directly comparing them to last year's Ravens personnel, it would be:

Clark=Pitta (TE on the stat sheet but plays 80% of his snaps in the slot or out wide)
    Stokley=Boldin (but exclusively playing in the slot in 3 wide sets, not playing in base personnel)

So basically Dickson will be playing in-line, Clark and/or Stokley in the slot. I read somewhere that the Ravens have been practicing with tons of bunch formations, so I would expect to see a lot of packages with Torrey Smith on one side of the formation and a bunch on the other. Torrey goes deep to drag coverage and the bunched up guys flood one side for easy catches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I think this is basically what they'll look to do, but if you're directly comparing them to last year's Ravens personnel, it would be:

Clark=Pitta (TE on the stat sheet but plays 80% of his snaps in the slot or out wide)
    Stokley=Boldin (but exclusively playing in the slot in 3 wide sets, not playing in base personnel)

So basically Dickson will be playing in-line, Clark and/or Stokley in the slot. I read somewhere that the Ravens have been practicing with tons of bunch formations, so I would expect to see a lot of packages with Torrey Smith on one side of the formation and a bunch on the other. Torrey goes deep to drag coverage and the bunched up guys flood one side for easy catches.
    Right... Got you. I think if that's the case, Dickson will get a lot more throws his way even if he plays the same role this year, as Clark is obviously not as good as Pitta at this point in his career, nor does he have the chemistry with Joe.

The main difference to our offense when Caldwell took charge was when we started to attack the middle. It obviously worked wonders, and was probably the main reason why we ended up winning the SB. This whole board was screaming at Cameron to attack the middle for like 3 freaking years, and its hilarious how that's exactly what Caldwell did when Cam got canned, while working wonders.

Anyway, it's clear with these signings that Caldwell will continue to attack the middle. While Stockley and Clark aren't Boldin or Pitta it's good that we have two players who have proven them selves to make tough catches over the middle. Our offense won't be as good as it was in the play offs, but it will still be good, and more consistent than it ever was under Cam, simply because Cam for whatever reasons completely refused to attack the middle of the field.

Just checked his stats last year.

Not too bad at all. I don't see why this wouldn't be, at a minimum, a decent pick up for us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Just checked his stats last year.

Not too bad at all. I don't see why this wouldn't be, at a minimum, a decent pick up for us.
    Let's also not forget that he had Josh Freeman throwing him balls. I think he'll be solid and productive if healthy.

Blog Entries

I like it. In addition, he and Stokely can mentor the younger receivers in Caldwell's offense.

Can someone with access to PFF or a similar site share how many drops he's had the past few seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Can someone with access to PFF or a similar site share how many drops he's had the past few seasons?
    I don't know about last year, but I know drops were a huge issue for him in 2011...google "Dallas Clark drops" and a ton of "what's wrong with Dallas Clark?" articles come up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

May not be a bad move for a bandage year. I just hope next off season the focus will be to get Joe some long term offensive weapons, even if that means sacrificing one of our probably 11 picks to move up and get players..