Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

Clark didn't even try to get his old jersey number 44 from Vonta Leach.

Instead, he picked 87 to give props to his favorite receiver -- Reggie Wayne.

Nice move, IMO.

Per Aaron Wilson on Twitter.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Ya know, I don't get why the NFL doesn't have a development league. Why should these players have to be stashed on practice squads, a small smattering of players, with the team having no protection or control on them? And then these guys just stagnate there and don't ever actually get to play games, or show what they're capable of. Shouldn't there be a development league so these guys can be kept under team control, and so they can actually play, gain experience, and show what they've got? It seems weird to me.
    My first thought: Tony Pashos

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Clark didn't even try to get his old jersey number 44 from Vonta Leach.

Instead, he picked 87 to give props to his favorite receiver -- Reggie Wayne.

Nice move, IMO.

Per Aaron Wilson on Twitter.
    I thought Obama had 44...

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    there seems to be a bit of an unwritten rule to not poach PS-eligible guys at the final cutdown
    Patriots. Belichick always says fuck you to unwritten rules. Remember he picked up that injured TE from the Giants last year. Looks smart this year for having done that: it's not as if they couldn't use another TE.

Patriots or Steelers would each be likely choices to pick up Furstenburg, if we tried to sneak him thru waivers to put him on the practice squad.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They tried it before. Didn't make money.
    Hell, they had it just LAST year! That's where Marty finally won his championship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Hell, they had it just LAST year! That's where Marty finally won his championship.
    The UFL might've done better had it tried to work directly with the NFL to bill themselves as a minor league system. Part of what I think doomed them was trying to make it on their own two feet.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

At this point I'd rather go with Clark, Furst, and Juice as our 3 TEs. Use Leach in the "blocking TE" role a little bit, of course don't get too obvious and predictable (i.e. everytime Leach is at TE we run). That way we can afford to keep 7 WRs or one of our fringe defenders. I'd perfer a 7th reciever just to keep our speedsters fresh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    At this point I'd rather go with Clark, Furst, and Juice as our 3 TEs. Use Leach in the "blocking TE" role a little bit, of course don't get too obvious and predictable (i.e. everytime Leach is at TE we run). That way we can afford to keep 7 WRs or one of our fringe defenders. I'd perfer a 7th reciever just to keep our speedsters fresh.
    Dixon?
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Clark picked the Ravens over other interested teams because he wanted Joe throwing
    him the ball. Stokely said the same thing. At this stage in our careers we want a QB
    who can get us the ball.

Clark scored in his first practice.

The two vets will start at the top - Shianco and Clark.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...6-87cfd4c2df28

At this point I'd rather go with Clark, Furst, and Juice as our 3 TEs.
    Two rookies over Dickson, Shiancoe, and Bajema? Huh?

That way we can afford to keep 7 WRs or one of our fringe defenders. I'd perfer a 7th reciever just to keep our speedsters fresh.
    Problem with this approach is that, once past Smith, Jones, and Stokley, the remaining WR candidates on the roster are scrubs. Why limit TEs, where there is better reserve talent, while expanding WRs, where reserve talent is minimal?

I'd rather see 4 TEs + H-Back + 5 WRS, the latter two more as special teamers e.g. Reed & Williams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries
    I think he meant that as in Dickson starting the season on the PUP list. Dickson will be the starting TE in this offense, and Clark will be the "move TE". As for the other spots... I think they will simply keep Juice as the 2nd FB, but use him in a hybrid H back role in certain packages, perhaps in the hurry up offense, you can use him as both a lead blocker or a passing threat in that role. The other spot l, I'm guessing goes to Bajema because of his blocking capability. They will probably stash Furst on the IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Two rookies over Dickson, Shiancoe, and Bajema? Huh?

Problem with this approach is that, once past Smith, Jones, and Stokley, the remaining WR candidates on the roster are scrubs. Why limit TEs, where there is better reserve talent, while expanding WRs, where reserve talent is minimal?

I'd rather see 4 TEs + H-Back + 5 WRS, the latter two more as special teamers e.g. Reed & Williams.
    I would have called it silly earlier in the offseason, but I would not be surprised (or bothered) in the slightest if the Ravens cut Doss in favor of carrying both Reed and LaQuan as the 4th and 5th receivers. Reportedly both have been more impressive than Doss during practices and both play STs very well. That's especially true if they're able to carry both Mellette and Marlon Brown on the PS--obviously Mellette is the first guy up if we need more depth at the position.

I think Juszczyk will be listed on the roster as the 2nd FB and I don't have a problem with that because even though teams don't really carry 2 FBs, they usually carry a handful of guys whose REAL position is 90% special teams. Whether that's a LB, FB, safety, etc. I think that's what Juszczyk is destined for in year 1.

I think the call between 3 or 4 TEs is going to depend on whether or not Dickson is ready for week 1. If he's not, I think they'll carry 4 including him. If he's ready, he'll be the #1 guy, with 2 out of the 4 of Bajema/Clark/Shiancoe/Furstenburg. I think Dallas Clark has a good bit more left in the tank and Furstenburg intrigues me, while IMO Shiancoe (looks done and did nothing last year) and Bajema (just a ST guy and <10-snap-a-game blocker) should be given their walking papers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think he meant that as in Dickson starting the season on the PUP list. Dickson will be the starting TE in this offense, and Clark will be the "move TE". As for the other spots... I think they will simply keep Juice as the 2nd FB, but use him in a hybrid H back role in certain packages, perhaps in the hurry up offense, you can use him as both a lead blocker or a passing threat in that role. The other spot l, I'm guessing goes to Bajema because of his blocking capability. They will probably stash Furst on the IR.
    Dickson can't be on PUP, only players who could be on PUP started camp on it. I think the only one left is Kapron Lewis-Moore.

Unless Dickson would have an injury that IR with return would make sense, he will be carried on the 53 man roster and just left on inactive list on gamedays.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Ignore post... Lag

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I would have called it silly earlier in the offseason, but I would not be surprised (or bothered) in the slightest if the Ravens cut Doss in favor of carrying both Reed and LaQuan as the 4th and 5th receivers. Reportedly both have been more impressive than Doss during practices and both play STs very well. That's especially true if they're able to carry both Mellette and Marlon Brown on the PS--obviously Mellette is the first guy up if we need more depth at the position.
    What about Deonte Thompson in the scenario above? I would think that he will make the team. I would be fine with the Ravens cutting Doss, and carrying either Reed or Williams for ST, but not both. That assumes that the Ravens carry 4 TEs and 4 RBs with KJ being counted as one of the RBs. That would men that Anthony Allen and Bobby Rainey would both get cut.