Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

At this point I'd rather go with Clark, Furst, and Juice as our 3 TEs. Use Leach in the "blocking TE" role a little bit, of course don't get too obvious and predictable (i.e. everytime Leach is at TE we run). That way we can afford to keep 7 WRs or one of our fringe defenders. I'd perfer a 7th reciever just to keep our speedsters fresh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    At this point I'd rather go with Clark, Furst, and Juice as our 3 TEs. Use Leach in the "blocking TE" role a little bit, of course don't get too obvious and predictable (i.e. everytime Leach is at TE we run). That way we can afford to keep 7 WRs or one of our fringe defenders. I'd perfer a 7th reciever just to keep our speedsters fresh.
    Dixon?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Clark picked the Ravens over other interested teams because he wanted Joe throwing
    him the ball. Stokely said the same thing. At this stage in our careers we want a QB
    who can get us the ball.

Clark scored in his first practice.

The two vets will start at the top - Shianco and Clark.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...6-87cfd4c2df28

At this point I'd rather go with Clark, Furst, and Juice as our 3 TEs.
    Two rookies over Dickson, Shiancoe, and Bajema? Huh?

That way we can afford to keep 7 WRs or one of our fringe defenders. I'd perfer a 7th reciever just to keep our speedsters fresh.
    Problem with this approach is that, once past Smith, Jones, and Stokley, the remaining WR candidates on the roster are scrubs. Why limit TEs, where there is better reserve talent, while expanding WRs, where reserve talent is minimal?

I'd rather see 4 TEs + H-Back + 5 WRS, the latter two more as special teamers e.g. Reed & Williams.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries
    I think he meant that as in Dickson starting the season on the PUP list. Dickson will be the starting TE in this offense, and Clark will be the "move TE". As for the other spots... I think they will simply keep Juice as the 2nd FB, but use him in a hybrid H back role in certain packages, perhaps in the hurry up offense, you can use him as both a lead blocker or a passing threat in that role. The other spot l, I'm guessing goes to Bajema because of his blocking capability. They will probably stash Furst on the IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Two rookies over Dickson, Shiancoe, and Bajema? Huh?

Problem with this approach is that, once past Smith, Jones, and Stokley, the remaining WR candidates on the roster are scrubs. Why limit TEs, where there is better reserve talent, while expanding WRs, where reserve talent is minimal?

I'd rather see 4 TEs + H-Back + 5 WRS, the latter two more as special teamers e.g. Reed & Williams.
    I would have called it silly earlier in the offseason, but I would not be surprised (or bothered) in the slightest if the Ravens cut Doss in favor of carrying both Reed and LaQuan as the 4th and 5th receivers. Reportedly both have been more impressive than Doss during practices and both play STs very well. That's especially true if they're able to carry both Mellette and Marlon Brown on the PS--obviously Mellette is the first guy up if we need more depth at the position.

I think Juszczyk will be listed on the roster as the 2nd FB and I don't have a problem with that because even though teams don't really carry 2 FBs, they usually carry a handful of guys whose REAL position is 90% special teams. Whether that's a LB, FB, safety, etc. I think that's what Juszczyk is destined for in year 1.

I think the call between 3 or 4 TEs is going to depend on whether or not Dickson is ready for week 1. If he's not, I think they'll carry 4 including him. If he's ready, he'll be the #1 guy, with 2 out of the 4 of Bajema/Clark/Shiancoe/Furstenburg. I think Dallas Clark has a good bit more left in the tank and Furstenburg intrigues me, while IMO Shiancoe (looks done and did nothing last year) and Bajema (just a ST guy and <10-snap-a-game blocker) should be given their walking papers.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think he meant that as in Dickson starting the season on the PUP list. Dickson will be the starting TE in this offense, and Clark will be the "move TE". As for the other spots... I think they will simply keep Juice as the 2nd FB, but use him in a hybrid H back role in certain packages, perhaps in the hurry up offense, you can use him as both a lead blocker or a passing threat in that role. The other spot l, I'm guessing goes to Bajema because of his blocking capability. They will probably stash Furst on the IR.
    Dickson can't be on PUP, only players who could be on PUP started camp on it. I think the only one left is Kapron Lewis-Moore.

Unless Dickson would have an injury that IR with return would make sense, he will be carried on the 53 man roster and just left on inactive list on gamedays.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Ignore post... Lag

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I would have called it silly earlier in the offseason, but I would not be surprised (or bothered) in the slightest if the Ravens cut Doss in favor of carrying both Reed and LaQuan as the 4th and 5th receivers. Reportedly both have been more impressive than Doss during practices and both play STs very well. That's especially true if they're able to carry both Mellette and Marlon Brown on the PS--obviously Mellette is the first guy up if we need more depth at the position.
    What about Deonte Thompson in the scenario above? I would think that he will make the team. I would be fine with the Ravens cutting Doss, and carrying either Reed or Williams for ST, but not both. That assumes that the Ravens carry 4 TEs and 4 RBs with KJ being counted as one of the RBs. That would men that Anthony Allen and Bobby Rainey would both get cut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

Dickson can't be on PUP, only players who could be on PUP started camp on it. I think the only one left is Kapron Lewis-Moore.

Unless Dickson would have an injury that IR with return would make sense, he will be carried on the 53 man roster and just left on inactive list on gamedays.
    Oh I see.... Well there is no way in hell Dickson isn't making the team obviously.

I'm with Bmore... I won't be surprised if Doss doesn't make the team. He's been disappointing to say the least this offseason. His fourth round draft status from 2 years ago won't save him either. Hell, the 49ers may even be cutting their first round pick from only a year ago.

Call me absolutely nuts, but I have a feeling Mellette could eventually beat out Jacoby as the #2 some time this year, I think he makes the team.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    It is clear that it is not only knowing how they may be utilized in a certain system, but also important is knowing the little stuff like the daily practice routines, etc. that veteran player's place some importance upon when deciding to sign or not. Not saying they would have turned down an offer from the Patriots had one been forthcoming, but all other things being equal, they probably would rather go to the devil they know (and may have dropped their asking price - not that it was that high to begin with) for the certainty a Caldwell coached offense provides.
    To add on to this, Clark seemed to indicate that he had his choice of teams:

"It's one of those things that I have the luxury to kind of be picky, and I was," Clark said. "There were a few other teams early on that we chose not to play for, and so I wanted to be in the right situation where I feel with my skill set I can help, and I think this is a place that obviously wants to win, has proven they can win, and I just want to be a small piece of helping them to do that."
    http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...llas-clark-and

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    What about Deonte Thompson in the scenario above? I would think that he will make the team. I would be fine with the Ravens cutting Doss, and carrying either Reed or Williams for ST, but not both. That assumes that the Ravens carry 4 TEs and 4 RBs with KJ being counted as one of the RBs. That would men that Anthony Allen and Bobby Rainey would both get cut.
    I actually stupidly forgot Deonte Thompson, so that throws a wrench in my breakdown. I think we need to know more about his injury situation. If he's got a high-ankle sprain (which is kind of what I was hearing between the lines so to speak) then I would just go ahead and IR him because a speedy WR like him probably isn't going to be all the way back from that injury for a few months and we can't afford to carry a weekly inactive for that long.

On the other hand, if they expect him back fairly quickly, he would surely make the team, probably as the #4 WR at least. The Ravens would have to decide between Reed and Williams for the 5th spot and I might give the nod to LaQuan, who is about his equal on ST, has been FAR more durable, and probably offers more upside on offense.

In my 53 man breakdown I would cut Anthony Allen because I anticipate Juszczyk filling his role on STs. I love Rainey's upside and ability to return kicks and punts so I have him definitely making the roster. The 3 RBs would be Rice, Pierce, and Rainey, and Leach and KJ would be the FBs (I think you were saying 4 RBs and 1 FB, I'm saying 3 RBs and 2 FBs, but I think we're saying the same thing.)