Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 253 to 262 of 262
  1. #253
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark



    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that if a player is cut after a certain date, the money is owed in full to the player and its dead money on the cap?
    After Week 1, a vested player's salary is guaranteed in full.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  2. #254

    Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think Juszczyk will be listed on the roster as the 2nd FB and I don't have a problem with that because even though teams don't really carry 2 FBs, they usually carry a handful of guys whose REAL position is 90% special teams. Whether that's a LB, FB, safety, etc. I think that's what Juszczyk is destined for in year 1.
    Juice made a nice spec teams tackle last week.




  3. #255

    Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

    I think the emergence of Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown and Josh Bynes makes McClain expendable. I imagine they cut him, save a bunch of $$$.




  4. #256
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,281
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    I think the emergence of Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown and Josh Bynes makes McClain expendable. I imagine they cut him, save a bunch of $$$.
    Has he even been medically cleared yet to play?

    At some point I would imagine that they would re-evaluate McClain's position/status with the team.

    After the season they indicated that they would take their time, but there was a chance that McClain may not be able to play again. That may be happening as we speak. Especially considering that McClain would have to basically beat out 4 guys who are all playing well; three of which are younger and cheaper.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #257

    Re: Ravens sniffing around Dallas Clark

    The team clearly still thinks highly of McClain, he is/was listed as the starter without taking a snap. I cant imagine them just releasing him. at this point hes still PUP eligible i believe, so that would be the coarse of action theyll likely take and see if they put him on the shelf or need him due to injury by week 10. Id think any thought of release would be an injury settlement next year, not this one.
    -JAB




  6. #258

    Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Could we get some cap back from McClain on an injury settlement?
    Since he hasn't passed his physical yet, they can cut him with a "failed Physical" designation and get his $3M salary back. They would still have to carry $1.2M against the Cap in both 2013 and 2014). The net savings would be around $2.5M because the $3M rebate is offset by the cost of his replacement on the roster (likely around $480K).

    They could do an injury settlement instead to give him a little money now and make him interested in possibly returning later when/if he recovers.

    A little more detail here:

    http://russellstreetreport.com/might...lease-mcclain/
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  7. #259

    Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    After Week 1, a vested player's salary is guaranteed in full.
    Yes, a player with 4+ years of service time has his base salary fully guaranteed if he's on the roster for week 1. So, it would all continue to count against the Cap, even if he's gone.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  8. #260

    Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Since he hasn't passed his physical yet, they can cut him with a "failed Physical" designation and get his $3M salary back. They would still have to carry $1.2M against the Cap in both 2013 and 2014). The net savings would be around $2.5M because the $3M rebate is offset by the cost of his replacement on the roster (likely around $480K).

    They could do an injury settlement instead to give him a little money now and make him interested in possibly returning later when/if he recovers.

    A little more detail here:

    http://russellstreetreport.com/might...lease-mcclain/
    Didn't they expand injury protection to include the following year (in some cases) in the latest CBA?

    I am not a lawyer, so the CBA's legalese is a bit much in spots, but Article 45 looks it says a player who gets injured during Year X and misses the last game of the season in Year X, and fails an end-of-season physical after Year X, and/or has team-approved off-season surgery in off-season, and fails the preseason physical before Year X+1, then the player is guaranteed either half his contracted salary for Year X+1 or $1.05M (for 2013-14 League years), whichever is less.

    Am I reading this wrong or am I simply talking about something a bit separate from the topic of McClain and injury settlements (guarantee vs. settlement, etc.)?

    http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaRe..._Final_CBA.pdf

    Page 200 of the CBA is Article 45 that I am referring to.




  9. #261

    Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Didn't they expand injury protection to include the following year (in some cases) in the latest CBA?

    I am not a lawyer, so the CBA's legalese is a bit much in spots, but Article 45 looks it says a player who gets injured during Year X and misses the last game of the season in Year X, and fails an end-of-season physical after Year X, and/or has team-approved off-season surgery in off-season, and fails the preseason physical before Year X+1, then the player is guaranteed either half his contracted salary for Year X+1 or $1.05M (for 2013-14 League years), whichever is less.

    Am I reading this wrong or am I simply talking about something a bit separate from the topic of McClain and injury settlements (guarantee vs. settlement, etc.)?

    http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaRe..._Final_CBA.pdf

    Page 200 of the CBA is Article 45 that I am referring to.

    An injury settlement and the injury protection benefit are two different things, but you do bring up a good point, if he takes an injury settlement, I don't think he'd be eligible for the injury protection benefit (but I'm not positive).

    The injury protection benefit is only available to players who have an injury from a prior season that they haven't recovered from thus making them unavailable in the present season.

    It would all really depend on whether he thinks he's going to be able to play again this year. If not, he would likely rather be cut with the "failed physical" designation and be entitled to the injury protection benefit this year and possibly next year if the injury proves career ending.

    An injury settlement would not provide any coverage for 2014, if he's still unable to play.

    OTOH, if he does expect to return this year, he'd rather have an injury settlement to get some money now and get more once he's recovered and signs somewhere.

    As far as an injury settlement goes, the Ravens do not have to do that if he can't pass his physical, it would be entirely up to them, but would be a jesture of good faith on their part - especially, if they'd like to re-sign him later (it also would head off any possible grievance from McClain, since he'd have agreed to it).

    So, whether they would actually do so remains to be seen.

    Lastly, an injury settlement would cut into their Cap savings by whatever amount is paid, while presently the injury protection benefit does not count against the Cap (will in 2016 and after).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  10. #262
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    3,131
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens sign Dallas Clark

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Since he hasn't passed his physical yet, they can cut him with a "failed Physical" designation and get his $3M salary back. They would still have to carry $1.2M against the Cap in both 2013 and 2014). The net savings would be around $2.5M because the $3M rebate is offset by the cost of his replacement on the roster (likely around $480K).

    They could do an injury settlement instead to give him a little money now and make him interested in possibly returning later when/if he recovers.

    A little more detail here:

    http://russellstreetreport.com/might...lease-mcclain/
    Raven FO is patient, not seeing any need to rush things, I'm sure that they already have the likely scenarios planned out...
    Info needed is
    1- how likely is McClain's clearance anytime soon?
    2- how likely do we need McClain at this point? meaning how quick can Simon be coached up (if at all, and others). also meaning no injuries to current locks.

    If activate-able, he is insurance against injury but the clock is ticking.
    I think the trigger will be pulled when the $$ have to be freed, and I don't see immediate pressure there, patience can still operate a little longer....
    Raven's way I can see a "severance" package but not close to the full amount, a lot harder to see a boot out the door with nothing more than have to.
    To be on a pedestal is to be in a corner




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland