Blog Entries

Re: Pittsburgh/Giants observation

Its preseason way too early to draw judgement on the steelers

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Its preseason way too early to draw judgement on the steelers or the Ravens
    Fixed it.

LOL at folks making judgements based on pre-season week #1....or regular season week # 1 (for that matter).

It's a loooooong season...lots can happen (good and bad) for every team.

Blog Entries

I watched the first 3 quarters of that game and actually thought Pitt played pretty well, especially on D. They have a couple of young receivers that can step up and their running game and new zone blocking scheme was working early.

You can't take much from a preseason game but what I took was that they're going to run the ball and do their best to protect the QB with the play calls, and their D will again be good.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Fixed it.
    No HR.

No.

The Ravens need to be perfect NOW.

Everyone else can take their time and figure it all out.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Markus Wheaton looked good; not surprised by that though.

Their OL still has issues in pass-pro.
    Yes, Wheaton looked good. I also thought the Steeler running game was quite sound. If I was a Steeler fan I would be concerned about the pass defense. It looked pretty shaky.

(Actually, if I was a Steeler fan, I would be more concerned about a lot of other things - mostly my mental condition and lack of ability to properly function in civilization in general.)

Can't count out the steelers after one meaningless game. I didn't get to see it because I'm stuck training in lovely Ft Benning, GA, but I fully expect the Steelers to be in it the whole year. In fact, if anything I have more doubts about Cincinnati. Andy Dalton has yet to show he can win the big game and has not yet overcome us or Pittsburgh.

Blog Entries

The way everyone is pegging the meter on the preseason, I'm almost glad I'm in the middle of east-central Europe with limited Net access. :D

Carry on. (As I'm sure you will.) ;)

So, what's the purpose of a thread about a first preseason game if you shouldn't make any judgements to the teams play because it's the first preseason game?
    Last edited by Derf; 08-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.

To me the game just showcased the problems that many of us here expect the Steelers to have this year. They may very well fix some things, but so far they appear to be on schedule for missing the playoffs again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    You can look at at this way too; the Dlineman were engaged, and could only make contact with the RB's while being engaged. I would call most of what happened as "yards after contact" and not actually a result of "breaking tackles." Regardless, they got a lot of yards on the ground by a committee of running backs. When they designate their starter, and he gets some reps, I would expect better results. But of course, the opposition will be improving too.

I don't see how the line played horribly anyway. Where could they improve? Some missed blocking assignments - Sure. They played collectively in measure with the rest of the league. A close game with the Giants, any time of the year, is a positive reflection no matter what time of year.

And yes, Ben R. has been sacked a million times. But it seems at least initially, the abysmal run game of the past will allow the Steelers some relief from having to count on Ben R. and a few receivers to win every game. And of course if any component of a team does not perform at an improved level by the last preseason game that would raise concern with any team.

I still don't see any glaring problems. Most of what I saw was expected. The first teams for the Giants and the Steelers played pretty well considering it was their first outing.

I guess this all hinges on one's perspective.

Great report on the enemy. Thanks.

How about their secondary which got Tebowed in POs two years ago. It was old and slow then and last year too. I think they drafted somebody but there was more than
    one problem in the secondary.

Besides Tebow, the Ravens have done OK vs them last several games and have
    closed their lead in the series.

"Great report on the enemy." Make sure you forward my post to the Harbaugh, he will appreciate it. Make sure you give me credit.

"Got Tebowed." Into memes are you? They should be embarrassed over that. They should have won that one. But "should have" does not count. I forgot the Ravens don't lose games, silly me.

And what do your remarks have do with my post? Two years ago, what? Very odd reply to my post.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Great report on the enemy. Thanks.

How about their secondary which got Tebowed in POs two years ago. It was old and slow then and last year too. I think they drafted somebody but there was more than
    one problem in the secondary.

Besides Tebow, the Ravens have done OK vs them last several games and have
    closed their lead in the series.