Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Suggs and Ngata
    More specifically:

- Ngata will have a $16M cap charge but if released he will use up $15M in dead money with a cap savings of only $1M. Gonna be hard to cut him.

- Suggs will have a $12.4M cap charge and if cut he'll leave $4.6M in dead money for $7.8M in cap savings. His cap savings is easily the highest of any Raven though that amount of dead money may give the team pause if he truly gets back to his 2011 level of play.

- Other players could be cut and save cap money and the following three seem like ripe for getting cut next winter:
    If McClain is still on the team through this year, cutting him next winter would give $3,2M in cap savings and $1.2M in dead money.
    Cutting McKinnie next winter saves the team $3M with $1M in dead money
    Cutting Leach next winter would say $2.33M with no dead money.

Other players cut would save a bit of cap space: Canty, Koch, Huff, Spears: all would save >$1M in cap with some dead money. Doubtful they get cut. Spears probably.

At the moment we have $118M+ in committed salaries for next year for 45 players. Not including Stokely, Jacoby Jones, Yanda, Dickson, Oher, Daryl Smith, Art Jones, Cody, Graham, Ihedigbo, Harewood, Shiancoe, or Chris Johnson-all of whom will be UFA's next winter.

2014: yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1m
    There is mutual interest between veteran tight end Dallas Clark and the Ravens, according to league sources. No deal at this time

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL 1m
    Expect Dallas Clark to Ravens to be done this week
    Called it.

Shaincoe's drops cost him dearly it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    More specifically:

- Ngata will have a $16M cap charge but if released he will use up $15M in dead money with a cap savings of only $1M. Gonna be hard to cut him.

- Suggs will have a $12.4M cap charge and if cut he'll leave $4.6M in dead money for $7.8M in cap savings. His cap savings is easily the highest of any Raven though that amount of dead money may give the team pause if he truly gets back to his 2011 level of play.

- Other players could be cut and save cap money and the following three seem like ripe for getting cut next winter:
    If McClain is still on the team through this year, cutting him next winter would give $3,2M in cap savings and $1.2M in dead money.
    Cutting McKinnie next winter saves the team $3M with $1M in dead money
    Cutting Leach next winter would say $2.33M with no dead money.

Other players cut would save a bit of cap space: Canty, Koch, Huff, Spears: all would save >$1M in cap with some dead money. Doubtful they get cut. Spears probably.

At the moment we have $118M+ in committed salaries for next year for 45 players. Not including Stokely, Jacoby Jones, Yanda, Dickson, Oher, Daryl Smith, Art Jones, Cody, Graham, Ihedigbo, Harewood, Shiancoe, or Chris Johnson-all of whom will be UFA's next winter.

2014: yikes.
    Yup.

Next year is going to be tough.

I don't think Yanda is an UFA, but I'm pretty sure Pitta is.

Other guys with big cap numbers (not sure about dead money/savings though), are Webbie at over $10 mil, Rice at over $8.5 mil, and Yanda at close to $9 mil.

We are either going to have a bunch of restructuring or a really good player or 2 will have to either take pay cuts or face potentially being released or traded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yup.

I don't think Yanda is an UFA, but I'm pretty sure Pitta is.
    Thanks for the correction. Pitta will be a UFA. Yanda won't be a UFA. Cutting him would save us $2.55M but cause $5.9M in dead money. (Those figures basically flip for 2015.)

Blog Entries
    What would the cap hit be if we traded Rice? Not sure how the contract works out in year 3. I could see a needy RB team giving up a 3rd, maybe a late 2nd round pick fir Rice if he has another big year. There are some tough decisions coming up.

Btw Yanda has two years left on his deal IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Called it.

Shaincoe's drops cost him dearly it would seem.
    But I thought you weren't allowed to draw conclusions from a few snaps in one preseason game? ;)

Just giving you a hard time--I agree with you. Dallas Clark is a better fit for the offense as well. So much for the Ravens getting younger, though.

Regarding the 2014 cap situation... they can clear about 15m for 2014 through some common-sense type moves like Suggs, McKinnie, McClain, Leach, Koch, etc... and they'll likely need to clear space and then roll it over because the cap is projected to stay flat.

I've been bearish on Suggs' prospects of returning to play at a high level, but let me be the first to say that so far, dude looks like a BEAST. I think he's going to have a huge year, and it'll be a very tough decision in 2014. An extension might make sense but his price will likely stay high coming off a good year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    He might be boss.

He is younger than Moss.
    But he ain't straight cash homie, now is he?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    What would the cap hit be if we traded Rice? Not sure how the contract works out in year 3. I could see a needy RB team giving up a 3rd, maybe a late 2nd round pick fir Rice if he has another big year. There are some tough decisions coming up.

Rice is untouchable. His dead money figures for the next 2 years greatly exceed his cap savings, making cutting or trading him a net-negative transaction. He is guaranteed to be a Raven until at least 2016.

Blog Entries

Next year will take care of itself next year. No reason to worry about it now. Win another Super Bowl this season. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    But I thought you weren't allowed to draw conclusions from a few snaps in one preseason game? ;)

Just giving you a hard time--I agree with you. Dallas Clark is a better fit for the offense as well. So much for the Ravens getting younger, though.

Regarding the 2014 cap situation... they can clear about 15m for 2014 through some common-sense type moves like Suggs, McKinnie, McClain, Leach, Koch, etc... and they'll likely need to clear space and then roll it over because the cap is projected to stay flat.

I've been bearish on Suggs' prospects of returning to play at a high level, but let me be the first to say that so far, dude looks like a BEAST. I think he's going to have a huge year, and it'll be a very tough decision in 2014. An extension might make sense but his price will likely stay high coming off a good year.
    Suggs is indeed the glaring cap number that stands out as big time relief.

I was with you in saying that I was not all that confident in his recovery, but like you said, he looks great.

And it would really suck to let him go if he goes out and has another pro bowl season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Right about Yanda. Now trading Rice next winter...oy vey. His signing bonus gets accelerated and is all due...$14M cap charge if I am reading it right. From now until his contract ends, his prorated signing bonus is $4.75M each year. I could well be wrong here and I would love it if I was. Here's the remaining contract terms:

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...RB&Team=Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Next year will take care of itself next year. No reason to worry about it now. Win another Super Bowl this season. That's all that matters.
    :word I'm just looking forward to this season.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2