Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

Perception is sometimes quite removed from reality. There are a lot of well-intentioned posters who have decided to run with a perception of Doss and his inability to catch the ball, all the while clamoring for the front office to bring in other people. And while drop % isn't the only measure of the quality of a WR, dropping passes has been the focus of a lot of people's concern.

2012 Drop Rate (of selected players who have been brought up by posters as "improvements"):

Brandon Lloyd 4.62%
    Nate Washington 5.56%
    Tandon Doss 5.88%
    Demarius Moore 7.89%

also:

Jacoby Jones 1.82%
    Torrey Smith 2.73%
    Ray Rice 3.61%
    Vonta Leach 8.33%
    Bernard Pierce 9.09%

There is obviously a whole lot more to being a receiver than what a statistic can show and drops is a little bit subjective, but I thought it was interesting at least.

On another note, David Reed's and Deonte Thompson's stats for 2012 were almost identical in targets, catches, drops, yards.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I see clear cases of informed concern AND the panic I've been mentioning.

My overall point is this. Any hard judgement, good or bad based on one preseason game, is very premature. Of course, concerns are valid. But sweeping indictments? Not so much.
    I don't know that it's panic. Other than some saying Doss should be cut...which some of us had fun with last year...I don't see most of it as panic.

Panic would be saying things like we are going to stink if we didn't sign someone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    So basically we traded Boldin for Stokely.
    More like Stokely, Dumervil, Canty, Huff and Smith.

Blog Entries

not that simple...we used the 6th we got for Boldin in the trade that got us Arthur Brown
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    not that simple...we used the 6th we got for Boldin in the trade that got us Arthur Brown
    Good point. But I was referring to their roles.

armchair gm's

iggyman555 Guest

+ huff + doom + canty

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know that it's panic. Other than some saying Doss should be cut...which some of us had fun with last year...I don't see most of it as panic.

Panic would be saying things like we are going to stink if we didn't sign someone.

i agree. panic would be if we didnt have torrey

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    More like Stokely, Dumervil, Canty, Huff and Smith.
    This.

If we don't let Boldin walk, we'd have all kinds of threads saying how bad our defense is.

Wow, this thread has exploded overnight and after reading pages of posts it stinks of mass panic. If I didn't know better you would think this is a thread from fans of a perennial bottom dweller, not the Super Bowl champs. Drop the torches and pitchforks and disperse the angry mob, at least until we even play a game that counts. Man, what a bunch of downers. If by some freak twist of fate the team doesn't win a game all year you won't have to lower your expectations.

Who knows what we'd have been able to do if Boldin was still here.

Sure, if the team did absolutely nothing else to adjust contracts getting those other guys looks like it wouldn't have happened.

But as I've said in other threads, it most certainly could have been done by making a few other moves.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Wow, this thread has exploded overnight and after reading pages of posts it stinks of mass panic. If I didn't know better you would think this is a thread from fans of a perennial bottom dweller, not the Super Bowl champs. Drop the torches and pitchforks and disperse the angry mob, at least until we even play a game that counts. Man, what a bunch of downers. If by some freak twist of fate the team doesn't win a game all year you won't have to lower your expectations.
    Wow.

Very dramatic.