Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

I will say this about Ozzie. How many times have you rooted for a team, and said to yourself "This guy sucks" or "we really need a new (insert position here) or "we just need one more pitcher"

At least when I say this about the Ravens it seems like Ozzie is always a step ahead.

I hope I am wrong and one or more of these guys come through--but I am glad I follow a team that sees the same weaknesses we all see, and follows up and tries to fix them.

Doss is not getting cut folks.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    I will say this about Ozzie. How many times have you rooted for a team, and said to yourself "This guy sucks" or "we really need a new (insert position here) or "we just need one more pitcher"

At least when I say this about the Ravens it seems like Ozzie is always a step ahead.

I hope I am wrong and one or more of these guys come through--but I am glad I follow a team that sees the same weaknesses we all see, and follows up and tries to fix them.
    I agree wholeheartedly people are trying to draw all kinds of comparisons right now but the fact remains this signing doesn't indicate they have confidence in these young cats stepping up if they did they wouldn't do it period.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    BTW, the preseason game was 3 days ago and while there was a little frustration noted immediately after the game, it didn't blow up until this signing and this thread.

So if there is a ground zero for some fans that are realizing that these WR's aren't getting it done in the teams opinion, it's this Stokley signing...not the preseason game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I gotta disagree with this and your last post.

Reading the game thread, the observations thread and some of this thread and there's clearly a level of panic by some.

I see the frustration you mentioned but I also see snap judgements based on one game and snippets of media reports.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Because Streeter has shown anything?

At least Doss has game time experience.

Streeter will be lucky to make the team this year. Clearly you haven't been paying attention to camp notes.
    If we go by your theory because of "camp notes" Torrie would not even be on this team. He dropped many passes in camp and was as raw as they come. Give people a chance before you call the guy a no go. Have you even seen Streeter play other then your "camp notes"???

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I gotta disagree with this and your last post.

Reading the game thread, the observations thread and some of this thread and there's clearly a level of panic by some.

I see the frustration you mentioned but I also see snap judgements based on one game and snippets of media reports.
    Is it panic or concern? In many of these instances it's a clear difference.

I don't see a problem at all with concern. I was very concerned last year with our run defense...I remember when I noted that the team started starting Kemo at nose over Cody in one of the first preseason games was a big red flag and what do you know...I got flamed for it.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

The fans are in panic?

What do you call it when Ozzie signs a vet shortly after the first pre-season game
    and a few days after saying on sirius radio there will be no signings, we're sticking
    with what we have.

Ozzie made this signing after he jumped off the ledge and somebody threw him a
    line to pull him in and he said, shit, I'm signing Stokely.

Reminds me of when he jumped off the ledge to draft Boller and somebody
    had to take a gun from his head after he got him and not to mention Mc Kinney
    throwing him a line with one hand and holding a 16'' pizza on the other after he jumped with Oher at LT and Mac said I'm here now boss.

Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-11-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Stokley signing is official, he'll be practicing at the stadium today.

Should be a nice ovation for that.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Is it panic or concern? In many of these instances it's a clear difference.

I don't see a problem at all with concern. I was very concerned last year with our run defense...I remember when I noted that the team started starting Kemo at nose over Cody in one of the first preseason games was a big red flag and what do you know...I got flamed for it.

I see clear cases of informed concern AND the panic I've been mentioning.

My overall point is this. Any hard judgement, good or bad based on one preseason game, is very premature. Of course, concerns are valid. But sweeping indictments? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Stokley signing is official, he'll be practicing at the stadium today.

Should be a nice ovation for that.
    Well that's good. Otherwise this thread would have looked really silly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    If we go by your theory because of "camp notes" Torrie would not even be on this team. He dropped many passes in camp and was as raw as they come. Give people a chance before you call the guy a no go. Have you even seen Streeter play other then your "camp notes"???
    I guess it comes down to "I trust Ozzie". We all know Ozzie watches every practice. He has seen these guys practice since they have been here. If Doss, Reed and Streeter were rookies this year, I would give them a pass (as I have with Mellete). But very few rookie receivers are going to step in and play the slot immediately. I suspect Ozzie has seen enough of Streeter, Reed, and Doss to know they are not the answer. And he knows he needs a replacement for Boldin.

Remember Ozzie has no ego. He knows he can't be perfect. He is going to miss occasionally (okay on receivers maybe more than occaisionally) . But I do not think he will stick with a guy who is not panning out, just because he is one of his draft choices.

Blog Entries

So basically we traded Boldin for Stokely.