Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 212223

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    The elephant in the room is being missed on the offense. Joe and the recievers played all year and were very average. The increased production in the playoffs is not a result of Joe and the receivers all magically getting better at once. Two overlooked things happened to the offense that were key to the Super Bowl run.

The reshuffled OL was giving Joe a cleaner pocket and more time to throw then he had all year.

Caldwell's influence on the playbook, they threw much more across the middle of the field.

We learned that if Joe has enough time with a clean pocket he can be very accurate. Any receiver with his feet not stuck in mud is going to get open eventually. In Stokely's case, he has flypaper hands and will be fine.

Is this fantasy obsessed world the OL is not as sexy as the skill players and are often ignored, but they were the real unsung heroes of the post season. Denver had the top team sack totals in the NFL last year and they were neutralized by our OL, a huge key to winning. The one sack I felt was a coverage sack more than the line breaking down. Caldwell opening up the middle of the field is obvious when you compare the shotgun like spray of throws charted between him and Cam. The offense has enough playmakers. Joe and receivers will only be as good as the OL.
    Agree with A LOT that you said. The reason for the change in the offense is the revamped OL and Caldwell. I have been trying to tell people this since the playoffs. I mean those are the only two variables that changed. Boldin and co were great but they were supremely underwhelming during the regular season. However, I don't agree that Joe and receivers will only be as good as the OL. I think that the Caldwell's offensive system will dictate the offense's success.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    A big part of Ozzie's cred with players is built on the tradition that he will reward the home-grown Pro Bowler. Suggs got paid, Ngata got paid, Reed got paid, Rice got paid, Flacco got paid. If Suggs has another great season this year, I don't think there's any chance the Ravens front office fucks with him.

They might extend him, convert some of his salary to signing bonus to reduce his cap hit, etc: all those tricks. But they won't move him. He's too obviously the heir apparent to Lewis in leadership, too obviously the poster child for the home-drafted Raven who becomes a star, too obviously the Ravens best defender.

Now if Suggs deteriorates, like Reed did his last few seasons, then sure, Ozzie will let Suggs go. But if he plays like we think he's going to play, Suggs will be here in 2014.
    webby also

Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    I think that the Caldwell's offensive system will dictate the offense's success.
    These things happened concurrently, but you make a good argument. My conclusion may be flawed by not giving Caldwell more credit. I think we're going to be fine once we sort out the pass catchers.

Blog Entries

And by the way, didn't Stokely just catch 50 or so passes last season? Didn't he just have a great TD catch in our second game against Denver?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 3m B. Stokley received a 1-yr, $1.005M contract w/ base salary of $940K & $65K bonus $$. Under min. salary benefit will count $620K against Cap

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 1m With Stokley on books, Ravens are now $4,169,459 under Cap, pending processing of Clark's deal (which will likely look just like Stokley's)
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 3m B. Stokley received a 1-yr, $1.005M contract w/ base salary of $940K & $65K bonus $$. Under min. salary benefit will count $620K against Cap

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 1m With Stokley on books, Ravens are now $4,169,459 under Cap, pending processing of Clark's deal (which will likely look just like Stokley's)
    For the production that they are going to get out of those guys, I'll take it seven days a week.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    For the production that they are going to get out of those guys, I'll take it seven days a week.
    ^!$#!@ the possible performance of EITHER is worth the salary of BOTH.

Right players/right price to the max.