Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Well at least we get to keep a true two headed monster for a while.

Regarding sizzle... While it's possible he becomes a cap casualty next year. I can't see the Ravens cutting or trading him. You don't just cut elite pass rushers to get out of cap jail, when you can do that by other means. If he has a big year, I think they keep him. Cutting great possession receivers is one thing, cutting your New defensive leader and franchise pass rusher is a totally different ball game.

Re: Ravens are signing Brandon Stokely

Welcome back where it all started Stoke!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Regarding sizzle... While it's possible he becomes a cap casualty next year. I can't see the Ravens cutting or trading him. You don't just cut elite pass rushers to get out of cap jail, when you can do that by other means. If he has a big year, I think they keep him. Cutting great possession receivers is one thing, cutting your New defensive leader and franchise pass rusher is a totally different ball game.
    In Ozzie we trust, that's what it boils down to. He'll make that call next year.

Blog Entries

A wise vétéran and used to WINNING. He knows where the chains are and not affraid of the middle. Can also find the soft spots with good hands. The perfect pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I see clear cases of informed concern AND the panic I've been mentioning.

My overall point is this. Any hard judgement, good or bad based on one preseason game, is very premature. Of course, concerns are valid. But sweeping indictments? Not so much.
    HR, your point is indisputable: one pre-season game does not provide evidence to support concrete decisions. BUT, how explain the TEAM signing and OLD TE AND an even OLDER WR . . . after one pre-season game? Me, I think we'll be OK. I think Doss will make the 53. And I wonder what the FO is thinking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    HR, your point is indisputable: one pre-season game does not provide evidence to support concrete decisions. BUT, how explain the TEAM signing and OLD TE AND an even OLDER WR . . . after one pre-season game? Me, I think we'll be OK. I think Doss will make the 53. And I wonder what the FO is thinking.
    They are thinking competition and giving Caldwell familiar options to help out Joe and groom you get guys.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They are thinking competition and giving Caldwell familiar options to help out Joe and groom you get guys.
    I don't agree with the first part of your reply and don't understand the last part "groom you get guys."? Translate, please?

Blog Entries

I don't agree with the first part of your reply and don't understand the last part "groom you get guys."? Translate, please?
    Come on man, you didn't get that?

Sheesh...

It was supposed to say that Stoke and Clark will be able to help groom younger guys, but auto-type is awesome when combined with my less than dexterous thumbs on my iPhone...

Blog Entries

And why wouldn't competition be a reason?

I sincerely doubt they were brought in to start right away. They'll get their looks just like everyone else. If Dickson is hurt for a while then I could see Clark getting a lot of PT.

Blog Entries

Additionally, going along with the competition theory...

Stoke lights a fire under the collective asses of Jacoby, Doss, Reed and everyone else.

If a 37 year old is beating you guys on the field, you're either not trying hard enough or you just don't belong.

And I wonder what the FO is thinking.
    The team is thinking that Dallas Clark in 2013 is a better TE than Visanthe Shiancoe and Matt Furstenberg. And they are almost assuredly right. Of the three only Clark had any NFL catches last year. Of the three only one has proven to be an elite NFL TE (though Shiancoe was a TD machine the year Favre was there).

No one predicted or planned for Pitta's injury. And that explains the Shiancoe and Clark signings.

As for Stokley, he is being signed because he knows the system, has good hands, plays the slot, is cheap, is football smart, is a hard worker, and probably can help us game plan for Denver week 1 since he knows their system.

He also isn't going to be trying to beat people deep. He is going to be giving a quick shake, turning and catching short slants/balls on short-to-medium 3rd downs. I'd rather have a guy slightly open who can catch than a guy who is more open but has dubious hands.

Both Clark and Stokley had 45+ catches last year in the NFL. That is a significant amount. I expect them both to play for us. Clark for sure while Dickson is hurt and even in 2 TE sets when Dickson comes back (where Clark plays the WR role). Stokley as WR#3. Clark isn't even that old, imo. Stokley is getting way up there, and maybe 37 is the age where he falls apart, but it isn't like we risked/spent anything bringing him in.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Agree. Suggs defines what it is to be a Raven. We have the Joe and Suggs team in training camp which speaks volumes about how he is recognized as a leader. I can see restructuring a more cap friendly deal next year to keep him for another 3 or 4 years.

We have 10 million of dead money this year(1.5m so far in 2014 for Pollard) plus it's Jacoby's last year which is another 5m. Restructuring Suggs would help. Jameel is dispensable with the depth at MLB and I have to wonder an injury settlement is in his future. That would free up some more space.

The one guy we got as a one year rental I wish we would have locked up for longer is Smith. He's already taken over the duties as the QB of the defense.

I love Ngata but it's hard to live up to a 16m cap hit unless you're mentioned as DPOY. Rice is a 8.7m cap hit next year, a lot of dead money to consider for both. It'll be interesting to see how those 2 play this year and how it unfolds next year. Our misery could come from an abundance of success. But I don't want to get ahead of myself as I'm seeing an opportunity to repeat this year.