Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Get Your Squirrely Ass Outta Here

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The single most important position on an NFL team today is head coach. Harbaugh keeps proving what a great choice he was by Bisciotti and Newsome.

I shudder to think we could have had Rex and the Standard Ryan Meltdown we're watching in New Jersey. Rex is definitely Buddy's son. His teams follow the same pattern. He's too much of a "players' coach," and not enough of a head coach.

Harbaugh seems to understand how to manage men, and these kinds of corrections will pay dividends throughout the season.

It's also just a really, really great line....
    Qb then coach. Lol but I'm not disagreeing with you. It's really important to have a great coach especially with constant turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Notice HARBs said that to a rookie and a very low draft pick at that. Did he ever say that to
    Ray? Here is what happens when you do that to a star. Here is how that can hurt a team
    when you pick on a rookie in his first camp and continue to ride him thru his entire career.

Weeb Ewbank hurt the Baltimore Colts in the long run because he had it in for Allan Ameche, former Heisman Trophy winner at Wisconsin where he played linebacker as well as FB, #1 draft pick of the Baltimore Colts, hero of the 58 Championship game, HOF member who gained 4,000 yds in 6 yrs and 44 TDs but from his very first sighting in camp while walking with Gino Weeb said here's our big #1 draft pick. He was babied in college. Were you ever babied in college Gino. No, Weeb, I was never babied but Ameche shrugged it off and became the rookie of the year.

Arty, Gino, Berry and Unitas, Ameche's best friends on the team never understood his disliked
    for Ameche. It was on his very first day at camp. Ameche was a free spirit. He was always
    late for meetings, late for practice, late for meals, forget to tape up for practice, etc etc but
    Weeb had it in for him the very first time he saw him.Ameche loved to gamble on anything,
    even setting up a pool if Brooks would get a HR, hit or a walk but Gino never understood it.

Arty said he was my best friend in football, so humble and a free spirit. He won the Heisman
    but was just a regular fun loving guy. Jim Parker, the Colts Ogden, said he helped me more
    than anyone. I was a rookie and new to a strange town and wasn't used to doing things for
    myself. Ameche pulled me aside for an hour and explained how things were done and helped
    me settle down. I'll never forget him. I love Allan Ameche.

Finally Weeb ran Ameche off when he tore his achilles tendon mid way thru the 1960 season
    and the Colts fortunes dropped like that the rest of the season. They only had to win 1 of 4
    games to go to the POs and lost them all.

Even after the team turned to a passing team with Unitas, Ameche was their Leach of the day, a ferocious blocker a FB protecting John but Weeb rode him out of the game.

Rumors had it that he could have come back but didn't like Weeb and he was already rich
    as Gino's partner in the restaurant business, set up by Colts owner.

The Colts lost their running game with Ameche and couldn't beat Lombardi throughout the 60s and Weeb was gone not long after that and after the entire team dogged it for him his last
    year and HARBs was pissed at a lowly drafted rookie for dogging it? Maybe it had something to do with Ameche. Just saying ya know.

If only he hadnt given it to Ameche, one of the most loved athletes ever in Bmore.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/thro...consin-badgers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Ameche
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-13-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Notice HARBs said that to a rookie and a very low draft pick at that. Did he ever say that to Ray?
    I seriously doubt Ray wasn't working hard. But my impression is they had a good relationship and Harbs adored Ray whenever he spoke of him. It'll be interesting to see Ray on ESPN throw out some insider things.

Webb was an ass. Some people aren't leaders and he was inflexible. But I ate a bunch of Gino Giants as a kid.

Blog Entries

Damn, I thought I was the oldest fart here and I really get it-lol.

My dad took us to Ginos and got two bags of burgers, fries and shakes when we were
    kids. In high school, Ameche's was the local hang out joint on Loch Raven Blvd. In the 60s
    you couldn't walk thru the lot w/o tripping over the weeds-lol. There were a bunch of fights
    between the guys from Towson high and Parkville Hi. I went to City but had friends from
    both schools and was usually in the middle of them. Man, those burgers were
    great with that sauce. Then they closed and McDonalds came along with a cheap imitation.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-13-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Damn, I thought I was the oldest fart here and I really get it-lol.

My dad took us to Ginos and got two bags of burgers, fries and shakes when we were
    kids. In high school, Ameche's was the local hang out joint on Loch Raven Blvd. In the 60s
    you couldn't walk thru the lot w/o tripping over the weeds-lol. There were a bunch of fights
    between the guys from Towson high and Parkville Hi. I went to City but had friends from
    both schools and was usually in the middle of them. Man, those burgers were
    great with that sauce. Then they closed and McDonalds came along with a cheap imitation.
    That's cool. My dad had a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville convertible that was driven in Kennedy's inaugural parade. I got the middle seat in the back where my head had a speaker grill behind it instead of the plush padding my older brothers had. Pops was pimping. I'm sure I ate at Ginos before I cared about football and had no idea who Marchetti was. I'd transport back in time if I could. The food was much better then, even McDonalds. Vacations in OC were at the Harrington Hotel, right by the original Phillips Seafood restaurant before they sold out selling asian crab. In HS I could fill up a gas tank and buy a 6 pack for $5. My dad is from the old country, so my first Baltimore experiences was in little Italy. Italian ice was made by a guy scraping a giant block of ice then squirting lemon syrup on the ice shavings. What was this thread about?

Blog Entries

I'm still the oldest if you don't remember Gino in the 60s-lol. I sure knew who he was when
    the restaurant opened in the early 60s. My dad took me to games as
    a little tot in the 50s. Don't remember him or Arty til 58 but remember the Packers before
    Lombardi.

We had one of those big swift wing Dodge's, a 59. It was cool because you shifted gears
    by pushing buttons, not a stick shift. My first car was a 66 Mustang. Got another one
    in 79. Wish I still had it.

We always went to Maria's in Little Italy til she died and it closed, also Hausner's in
    Highland Town. We always got the crab flak au graten and their fried shrimp.

We always went to PHillips when they opened in the early 60s, I think it was. Dad was pissed
    when their seafood platter went up to $5 in the late 60s. It's now $30. YOu can get their
    all u can eat buffet for $32. I was there in June for Rave weekend and they had little
    crab imperils and small crab balls. I ate 20 of each and they were the appetizers-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-13-2013 at 03:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Qb then coach. Lol but I'm not disagreeing with you. It's really important to have a great coach especially with constant turnover.
    I put coach ahead of QB because even a great QB can't make up for a terrible head coach, whereas a good coaching staff can make do with an average QB. The Bears reached the SB with Grossman and nearly reached it with Kyle Orton in recent years. Eli Manning isn't a great QB, though he's had some great moments.

A good coaching staff gets the most out of its players. You don't get a good coaching staff without a good head coach.

Blog Entries

Ed and Ray were guys that were constantly ready to play and practice hard. They may not have always wanted to be involved in every OTA, but if they were, they were all in. John would have never had to say anything like that to them, or Johnson, or Scott, etc.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm still the oldest if you don't remember Gino in the 60s-lol.
    I got on board before he retired in 66. But I knew Gino the burger before Gino the man. You're probably around my big brother's age. I lived closer to DC and my family were all Redskins fans. Wish my mother was alive to ask her but we were shopping when I was very young and met Unitas and Mackey, it was over at that moment. Love to hear about the kids at practice meeting the players and getting autographs, it all starts there. There was a Maria's next to Phillips in OC in the early 60s, was that the same owner in little Italy?

Blog Entries

Yea, I'm one of the original baby boomers when over a million guys came home from the war
    and got f*cked. I retired 8 years ago from APG when they forced
    the baby boomers out with buyouts but as you can see from the pic there are no
    lines in my face and I look much younger. The chick said I look great.

No, that was a different Maria. There's a lot of Maria's around but only one in Little Italy. My
    dad always hated it when I dissed the Skins because his father was Skins fan and was listening
    to the Skins game the day Pearl Harbor was attacked, then all his sons went off to war,but there wasn't any football in Baltimore then. He lived in Halethrope not far from DC but I dissed the Skins anyway especially after we lost the Colts and they blocked us out. I still diss em
    rest his soul. I followed family tradition when I was drafted during Nam and was one of
    the only guys in my class to show up for my induction physical at Ft Holabird. The rest of
    my class joined the guard to beat the draft. Some ran off to Canada. I didn't go over but I
    tried to. They said I was crazy. I said they were pussies but I was so scared. I was just
    a kid out of college and couldn't give a urine sample. The guy next to me poured some of
    his in my cup and I gave the Army somebody's sample-lol. Thirty years later I learned a
    lot of guys couldn't give samples. The guys scared the most were the guys that couldn't
    piss, not the guys that pissed in their pants. I was at Ft Riley, Kansas waiting to go over
    when it was at the end of the war and my unit, The Big Red 1 came back, so I didn't go.

My uncle played service ball during WW2 in Chicago and was scouted by George Halas and
    drafted by the Bears but he was the last guy cut. I loved going to the Colts games with my
    dad and uncles.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.