Doss Stats:
    @PHI 1/1 6 yards
    v CLE 1/2 39 yards
    @HOU 1/1 15 yards, TD
    v OAK 1/3 26 yards
    @SD 1/4 9 yards
    v DEN 2/5 28 yards
    overall: 7/16, 123 yards, 1TD

For Doss...those 1/4, 1/3 and 2/5 games stand out. Oddly ESPN has no targets for Doss in the Colts playoff game. I think the one throw was very high in the back of the endzone, but still catchable. Who knows.

Extremely small samples for each and it is crazy these guys are in the running for maybe a #2/3 WR spot.

Blog Entries

Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Did kJ really get any looks?
    He made a good catch on a ball thrown low. Had to reach down and caught it. Made
    another one and played great on ST with a key block on a run back.

He came as billed - a hard blocker and can catch and run with the ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Thompson was targeted twice. One drop, one catch.
    Hope he comes back with that speed. Oz has pimped him all winter.

Other than the Colts game, what are you referring to? What other contested passes has he blown it?
    Pro Football Focus charts him with 7 catches on 17 targets with 2 drops. I have a recollection of numerous other passes thrown in his direction that would have been tough catches that he simply didn't fight for and got blanketed by DBs.

For example, in the AFCCG (just went back and re-watched), Flacco threw back to back to Doss on their 2nd drive. He got bullied and pushed around on both throws and didn't really make any effort to fight for the ball. If Doss made up for his lack of "tough catching" ability by being a great route runner or otherwise getting great separation, it'd be different, but from what I've seen thus far he's shown none of those things.

We can keep saying that 17 passes thrown his way aren't enough, he isn't getting enough chances, he deserves the benefit of the doubt, etc... that might even be true, but I just think he needs to start coming alive and showing things soon, because he's in a COMPETITION. Other guys are showing more.

I read that neither Doss nor Thompson were targeted at all last night.
    I did post earlier that neither guy was targeted by Flacco, which is true (4 to RBs, 1 to Shiancoe, 2 to Smith, 2 to Jones). Maybe that's where you read it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Pro Football Focus charts him with 7 catches on 17 targets with 2 drops. I have a recollection of numerous other passes thrown in his direction that would have been tough catches that he simply didn't fight for and got blanketed by DBs.

For example, in the AFCCG (just went back and re-watched), Flacco threw back to back to Doss on their 2nd drive. He got bullied and pushed around on both throws and didn't really make any effort to fight for the ball. If Doss made up for his lack of "tough catching" ability by being a great route runner or otherwise getting great separation, it'd be different, but from what I've seen thus far he's shown none of those things.

We can keep saying that 17 passes thrown his way aren't enough, he isn't getting enough chances, he deserves the benefit of the doubt, etc... that might even be true, but I just think he needs to start coming alive and showing things soon, because he's in a COMPETITION. Other guys are showing more.
    Shows you how special Torrey is.

3 games into his career he basically became a starter.

Meanwhile guys like Reed and Doss and LaQuan are still trying to prove themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

around the 4:20 mark
    To be fair to Doss, as critical as I have been of him, he does have some good qualities. Once the ball is in his hands, he has some really nice wiggle in the open field. And I notice that on a lot of good catches he made he's been aligned right on the numbers or inside the numbers and running seam or in-breaking routes. That's where his game is best.

My recollection of most of his bad moments last year comes when he was aligned outside the numbers and running sideline routes... I don't think he will ever be great on the sidelines where DBs can jam him hard and run with him downfield. He doesn't have the size or speed to create separation outside the numbers. But when he's aligned in the slot/inside the numbers, and he can get a two-way go, he's a lot better.

I like the idea of Doss playing in the slot when we go 3-wide, but who is the other outside receiver apart from Torrey? I just don't want it to be Jacoby. Even if they think Doss is the answer to slot receiver, I still have major questions about Jacoby being the #2.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I like the idea of Doss playing in the slot when we go 3-wide, but who is the other outside receiver apart from Torrey? I just don't want it to be Jacoby. Even if they think Doss is the answer to slot receiver, I still have major questions about Jacoby being the #2.
    No argument from me(or from most others posters) about your concern with Jacoby as a #2. The interception he ran a poor route and dropped another pass, nothing to persuade anyone he's the answer.

The receivers who made the most impressive catches were LQW, Mellette and Marlon Brown. They flipped the depth chart upside down if going on just that game. Maybe the depth chart doesn't change, but it has to raise a few eyebrows. It's just the first preseason game. The competition is on and will heat up in the next few weeks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    No argument from me(or from most others posters) about your concern with Jacoby as a #2. The interception he ran a poor route and dropped another pass, nothing to persuade anyone he's the answer.

The receivers who made the most impressive catches were LQW, Mellette and Marlon Brown. They flipped the depth chart upside down if going on just that game. Maybe the depth chart doesn't change, but it has to raise a few eyebrows. It's just the first preseason game. The competition is on and will heat up in the next few weeks.
    My issue is we are relying on WRs drafted in the 4th round or later (including several UDFAs) to seize a starting role.

Not too say that 4-7th rounders aren't good players, and can't succeed. And likewise we know 1st rd WRs don't always turn out.

But when your competition for WR2/3 involves a 4th rounder, a 5th rounder, a 6th rounder, a 7th rounder and at least 2 UDFAs...you might be facing an uphill battle.

Jacoby is a 3rd rounder but wasn't drafted by us.

On the plane, I could see Hostler telling LQ and Mellette something like, "...now you have to show me every day at camp. I can't go to the boss and get you up the ladder unless you are killing it every session, every day."

I've never subscribed to that really, b/c some guys practice just so-so, but come game day, they light it up...in the meantime though, no coach wants to look like an @ss having backed the wrong horse. So let's hope we get some consistency in catching the ball from these guys. Consistency with separation is another matter completely.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    My issue is we are relying on WRs drafted in the 4th round or later (including several UDFAs) to seize a starting role.
    This is not unusual in today's NFL. Of the 31 other teams in the league, 17 of them have a guy drafted in the 4th round or later currently listed on the depth chart as the #2 WR, including 7 UDFAs.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    This is not unusual in today's NFL. Of the 31 other teams in the league, 17 of them have a guy drafted in the 4th round or later currently listed on the depth chart as the #2 WR, including 7 UDFAs.
    Interesting and enlightening stat. Thanks!