Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations

Blog Entries

Re: Observations

is McPhee hurt? I didn't see him or hear his name last night at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    No he played. Some of the 1st and good part of the 2nd half. Pretty sure he was in on a few tackles too.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I did not notice him at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    You are 100% correct.

Aggressively "walking into/coming back to" an NFL pass is challenging for any WR/TE at first...it's counter-intuitive and jacks-up your timing. Once you can do it consistently and catch it with your hands then you catch any pass, anywhere (with the exception maybe of crossing the middle and hearing those cliché footsteps).

I suspect that JJ12 has never been a confident hands-catching receiver, so him consistently knifing back into a Flacco laser (knowing the limits of his own pass catching abilities) will probably never happen. If anything he'll look to elevate and body-catch it.

Last night, two or three steps before his break, he should have known that pass was at-risk of being picked off b/c of the coverage and the shortcomings of his own skill-set. He's a superior athlete playing WR, but despite his PO heroics, he's pretty much just an average WR in just about every technical element of the position. No one should be fooled.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Bottom line is we need one of the receiving corp players, whether it's Williams, Streeter, Doss etc.. to step up and take a spot. This is their opportunity to show the Ravens they want it bad. Who will it be, I don't know, but L'Quan looked pretty good last night.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    Look, I think it's pretty clear we need a more dependable #2 receiver going into the season.
    If by that you mean that a professional football team needs more than one good receiver, then yeah. But to say it's pretty clear the Ravens need to go outside the organization to find a #2? That's not really clear at all. Flacco threw 9 passes, and most of them were of some sort of short variety - 4 to running backs, 1 to Shinacoe. Doss and Thompson weren't even targeted by Flacco, so it's pretty hard to say that they can't do the job. Even most of the targets to WRs were short. Was that by design, or was that as a result of some sort of checkdown because the receivers couldn't get open? I don't think anyone can really make a definitive statement after watching the 1st team offense for about 5 minutes of playing time in the first preseason game under less than stellar weather conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    To me it looked Jones jogged out of his cut

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...9.photogallery

If that was supposed to be a comeback route than that is on Jacoby. He looked like a poorly run out route. Did not see him come back at all. Joe hesitated before he threw it. I think he saw JJ was not where he was supposed to be and just said fff it I am throwing it anyway. That is one part chemistry and one part JJ not being a precise route runner. That is why I don't buy him as a #2 but rather as a part time outside receiver that stretches the field.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    If that was supposed to be a comeback route than that is on Jacoby. He looked like a poorly run out route. Did not see him come back at all. Joe hesitated before he threw it. I think he saw JJ was not where he was supposed to be and just said fff it I am throwing it anyway. That is one part chemistry and one part JJ not being a precise route runner. That is why I don't buy him as a #2 but rather as a part time outside receiver that stretches the field.
    Route running and timing can be worked on, but aggression is something you have or you don't. That's my thing with Jacoby is his aggression. Boldin was a great route runner plus he was aggressive which made him the player he was. If Jacoby just had half the aggression that Boldin had this would not be an issue about # 2.

I don't remember seeing a whole lot of McClellan - what unit was he running with?

Matt Elam came up and laid a good hit on Peyton Hillis (along with Asa Jackson a while later).

Brandon Williams was stout at the point attack and move down the line of scrimmage well

Arthur Brown showed the quickness and speed in coverage I was looking forward to seeing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Matt Elam came up and laid a good hit on Peyton Hillis (along with Asa Jackson a while later).

Brandon Williams was stout at the point attack and move down the line of scrimmage well

Arthur Brown showed the quickness and speed in coverage I was looking forward to seeing.
    These three could be defensive cornerstones for a long time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Route running and timing can be worked on, but aggression is something you have or you don't. That's my thing with Jacoby is his aggression. Boldin was a great route runner plus he was aggressive which made him the player he was. If Jacoby just had half the aggression that Boldin had this would not be an issue about # 2.
    Jacoby had chance after chance in HOU to seize a #2 role and failed to do so. He was cut. And we were one of the few teams that wanted him (I think us and Carolina?).

The only value he has is returns and as a burner in deep packages. Kind of a 2 trick pony.

He lacks expected WR traits like hands and route running. And with Caldwell seemingly using the middle of the field more, I don't trust Jacoby to succeed in that area either.

If he is our #2 I think our passing game struggles. Not drafting a WR until rd 7 seems a little silly now.