Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations

Observations

From my untrained eye:

We have a great coaching staff and great scouting department. The bottom half of our roster is really good. There are a lot of guys who it is going to be difficult to see get cut. It seems as though every pre season the team out plays other teams in the second half by a wide margin.

Furstenberg needs to get a lot of reps with the first team during practice and in next two games. He flashed the over the middle ability that we are going to miss from Pitta. It was one catch but it was impressive.

When the first team offense is in the next few games I think they need to spread it out and focus on passing. They know what they have in Leach. Lets see what we have in the receivers.

Mellette had a Boldinesque catch. He had a step and adjusted to an under thrown ball.

Marlon Brown showed some signs. He is definitely a candidate for a phantom injury.

Rainey>Berry. I would like to see Rainey get more reps as a RB. With Pierce more than likely not seeing much time the remainder of the pre season the reps should be there. He seems more explosive and less tentative.

Darryl Smith looks like a Pro Bowler. The defense is going to be among the best again. Hamilton looked good. Have to find a way to keep him active. Not sure I would play Suggs and Ngata too much as they look great.

Williams is going to be a beast for years to come. Very athletic for his size. Art Jones is going to get the Ravens a high comp pick next year.

It was good to see the short crossing stuff from Caldwell. Flacco completed 7 of 9 without going down field. These are the types of throws that gets a QB into rhythm.

Lets hope the Thompson and Pierce injuries are not serious. Thompson injury is more frustrating because we don't know what he brings in the passing game yet. Pierce could sit and you know what you are going to get from him.

Re: Observations

1. Had high expectations for the defense and was more than pleased.

2. No question we need to bring in a veteran WR with hands that can attack the middle. No confidence in Jones or Doss to fill the void.

Blog Entries
    Agreed with everything here. I'm kind of hoping that Mellette gets a chance with the first team, as Doss and Jacoby aren't showing much as of right now. You never know.... Maybe Mellette becomes our Colston. Cosell was really high on this kid coming out of Ellon and was surprised he went in the 7th. He has the combination of speed and size/strength, he just needs to work on his hands and route running. Wouldn't it be great if he panned out, we'd be looking at two very good receivers for Flacco.

I was really high on Daryl Smith even before we got to the play offs as a potential FA acquisition, so I'm very happy that he's off to a great start with us. He looked like the 2011 Daryl Smith out there. Don't have to say much about Canty, I knew he was going to be a monster for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    2. No question we need to bring in a veteran WR with hands that can attack the middle. No confidence in Jones or Doss to fill the void.
    One preseason game comes and goes and this is your conclusion?

I highly doubt they're bringing in a vet. The team has already said they're sticking with what they've got so, baring injury, we are going to see if this group can manage.

I happen to think they're going to surprise everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I highly doubt they're bringing in a vet. The team has already said they're sticking with what they've got so, baring injury, we are going to see if this group can manage.

I tend to agree with you here, but he does bring up a good point. We desperately need someone to step up us a number 2 reliable target. Jacoby is great in his role last year, but he just isn't consistent enough to be a number 2. The clock is ticking on Doss for him to show something too IMO. I have more confidence in LQW tbh...

Copeland's INT made ESPN's Top Plays.

Pretty cool! Sounds like the defense had a great night last night.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I tend to agree with you here, but he does bring up a good point. We desperately need someone to step up us a number 2 reliable target. Jacoby is great in his role last year, but he just isn't consistent enough to be a number 2. The clock is ticking on Doss for him to show something too IMO. I have more confidence in LQW tbh...
    Desperately?

I don't agree. It's a need we had going into the past two seasons and we will manage like we always do.

Pitta out hurts. A lot. But I don't think that makes us desperate one bit. Not with this coaching staff.

Blog Entries
    The last two years Torrey has been a very good number 2. Now that Boldin is gone, we have Torrey and a bunch of "maybes". So I think we have a significant hole there at this point.

Happy with pretty much everything else though. Minus the sack, we were solid up front. Gino looked good, and the Dline was stout.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed with everything here. I'm kind of hoping that Mellette gets a chance with the first team, as Doss and Jacoby aren't showing much as of right now. You never know.... Maybe Mellette becomes our Colston. Cosell was really high on this kid coming out of Ellon and was surprised he went in the 7th. He has the combination of speed and size/strength, he just needs to work on his hands and route running. Wouldn't it be great if he panned out, we'd be looking at two very good receivers for Flacco.

I was really high on Daryl Smith even before we got to the play offs as a potential FA acquisition, so I'm very happy that he's off to a great start with us. He looked like the 2011 Daryl Smith out there. Don't have to say much about Canty, I knew he was going to be a monster for us.
    I remember you talking up Daryl Smith early in the off season and you were spot on. He was really impressive. Dare I say a huge upgrade over what we had last year. I believe you were also high on Bynes and he looked good last night.

Not ready to push the panic button wrs yet. Starting offense was ultra conservative and had Leach in the game. Did not really give the wrs a chance to shine. Younger guys looked good when the offense opened up against the backups. Want to see them open it up early in the next game to see what we have in Doss, Fursty and hopefully THompson. I don't buy Jacoby as a full time #2. If they open it up and Doss doesn't step up I want to see snaps with first team for Mellette and Williams in game 3.

Anyone have any thoughts on how GG held up in the middle?

Blog Entries

Copeland's INT made ESPN's Top Plays.

Pretty cool! Sounds like the defense had a great night last night.
    you mean the one where he threw it right to him and he juggled it while almost falling over?... That was probably the least spectacular play the defense had last night.

as far as Doss and Jones I dont see why were going to say that they arent enough after last night. I remember Jones having one drop but i dont really remember doss being thrown to much if at all outside one pass when it was downright pouring buckets. Not going to hold it against him in that scenario for not bringing in a ball he got one hand on. they really didnt play much last night. seems odd to judge them on that when the staff clearly sought to protect them rather than see what theyre capable of. that would leave one to believe that theyre quite comfortable with them.
    -JAB

That Papa John's banner taking up the top 1/5 of my screen made the broadcast unwatchable.
    Baltimore Football Championships
    Ravens 2000, 2012
    Stallions 95 CFL
    Stars 85 USFL
    Colts 58, 59, 70

They said the exact same things in 2010--excited about the young guys, going to stick with what they've got, see who emerges, etc.--and yet on 9/7/10 they signed TJ Houshmandzadeh; he was the #3 WR the entire season. They said the exact same things in 2011 and yet on 8/13/11 they traded for Lee Evans; he went into the season as the anointed starter at #2 WR. Obviously in 2012 they added Jacoby Jones in May.

I've been saying the Ravens needed to add a veteran receiver for a while now, and last night certainly did nothing to change my mind. Sure, that doesn't jive with what the Ravens are saying publicly, but that's no different than what happens every year. They keep their true evaluations and personnel plans close to the vest.

I just can't think that the Ravens brass is happy with the WR situation. By all accounts, no one other than Torrey has done much of anything in camp, and if you can't shine when the lights are OFF, what will you do when the lights are ON? I think we saw it last night--these guys are going to crap the bed when asked to step up and be every-down targets. 5 targets for Doss/Thompson/Jacoby, 1 catch, 3 drops. That's not gonna cut it.

If I were John Harbaugh, Mellette and LaQuan would get all the 1st team reps this week in practice. They were going against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but at least those guys can, you know, catch the ball, maybe run an actual route from time to time...