Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations

Blog Entries

Re: Observations

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    They said the exact same things in 2010--excited about the young guys, going to stick with what they've got, see who emerges, etc.--and yet on 9/7/10 they signed TJ Houshmandzadeh; he was the #3 WR the entire season. They said the exact same things in 2011 and yet on 8/13/11 they traded for Lee Evans; he went into the season as the anointed starter at #2 WR. Obviously in 2012 they added Jacoby Jones in May.

I've been saying the Ravens needed to add a veteran receiver for a while now, and last night certainly did nothing to change my mind. Sure, that doesn't jive with what the Ravens are saying publicly, but that's no different than what happens every year. They keep their true evaluations and personnel plans close to the vest.

I just can't think that the Ravens brass is happy with the WR situation. By all accounts, no one other than Torrey has done much of anything in camp, and if you can't shine when the lights are OFF, what will you do when the lights are ON? I think we saw it last night--these guys are going to crap the bed when asked to step up and be every-down targets. 5 targets for Doss/Thompson/Jacoby, 1 catch, 3 drops. That's not gonna cut it.

If I were John Harbaugh, Mellette and LaQuan would get all the 1st team reps this week in practice. They were going against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but at least those guys can, you know, catch the ball, maybe run an actual route from time to time...
    Have you been at every practice at training camp to arrive at the conclusion of nobody outside of Torrey having a good camp?

Hell just at the Annapolis practice, Thompson was supposedly Flacco's favorite target according to reports.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I remember you talking up Daryl Smith early in the off season and you were spot on. He was really impressive. Dare I say a huge upgrade over what we had last year. I believe you were also high on Bynes and he looked good last night.

Not ready to push the panic button wrs yet. Starting offense was ultra conservative and had Leach in the game. Did not really give the wrs a chance to shine. Younger guys looked good when the offense opened up against the backups. Want to see them open it up early in the next game to see what we have in Doss, Fursty and hopefully THompson. I don't buy Jacoby as a full time #2. If they open it up and Doss doesn't step up I want to see snaps with first team for Mellette and Williams in game 3.

Anyone have any thoughts on how GG held up in the middle?
    Agree with this post 100%. Daryl Smith was a guy I really wanted the Ravens to pursue, and by all accounts he looks like an every-down starter at ILB. I imagine the Ravens might play him at Mike and rotate Bynes and Brown at Will--Bynes on run downs, Brown on nickel downs. I'm very confident in that group of ILBs and at this point I would expect McClain to be released.

As critical as I've been of Doss, my MAIN concern at WR is definitely asking Jacoby to be a full-time #2 WR. It's just not a good idea, he was never a credible #2 even with Andre Johnson playing opposite him, and that's not going to suddenly change at age 29. He NEEDS to be used as he was last year: excellent KR/PR and situational #3/#4 guy who comes in to stretch the field in certain packages. I also want to see more of Mellette and Williams, preferably getting some reps with the 1st team.

I thought Gradkowski had a pretty good game. His run blocking was solid and pass pro was OK. Most of the pressure on Joe came from unblocked blitzers through the A gap where the defense just had the protection scheme beat. Another was due to McKinnie blocking nobody at all on a zone blitz. Also remember that Yanda was out, so Jah Reid got the start at RG.

I don't know why LaQuan doesn't get more chances. He consistently shows smarts, speed, hustle and toughness on special teams. Over the past couple years, he's made a few nice tackles as a gunner on STs... not to mention last nights ST plays. I know that doesn't carry over to WR play... But just maybe he's a gamer and good things happen when he's on the field.

As a rookie, he didn't get a lot playing time at WR, but he got more than he does now. When he did play, he made the most of it. Am I the only one who remembers the 3rd down catch he made for a first down in the night game against the Steelers.... It wasn't impressive as Boldin's Superbowl 3rd down conversion.... but I remember wondering how the hell Joe could trust a scrub rookie on a 3rd down and long slant in traffic... and LaQuan came through more than once... I'd love to see him start for 3 quarters.

Our D looks like monsters. I think when our secondary gets it shit together... Joe and the boys are gonna have a lot of short fields.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I am holding my breath on Pierce. Man he is such a weapon in this offense. His acceleration once he turns it up field is out of this world.

DLine looks solid already. It was great seeing Canty mixing it up and getting in there right off the bat.

I am becoming more intrigued with Matt F. It sounds crazy but if he continues to show something out there I don't know if Vinsante even makes the squad. (assuming we stick with 3 TEs.... Ed/Bajema/Matt)

I agree that was a nice TD grab by Mellette. His size and speed are tantalizing. But is this the late round WR that will stick or just the next Justin Harper/Erin Riley etc? And still waiting for Doss to show something.

I almost forgot we signed D. Smith..... silly me. This dude looks like a PLAYER.

I thought I'd see a little more from Kyle J but then this is his frist NFL action. Hopefully hell come along as expected. But with that being said I totally get why we brought back Vonta.

There were those issues with penalties and clock managment/control that dogged us last year. Still got almost a month to clean that up though.

But I guess all this needs to be qualified with the following....IT IS THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME. :)
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Have you been at every practice at training camp to arrive at the conclusion of nobody outside of Torrey having a good camp?

Hell just at the Annapolis practice, Thompson was supposedly Flacco's favorite target according to reports.
    That's interesting, because I just went back through all the sources I follow, and I couldn't find a single mention of such a thing. In fact, the Ravens' website didn't mention Thompson at all during their recap of the Annapolis practice. RSR mentioned only that he caught a quick slant on an audible from Flacco. I'm not sure what reports you're talking about--I certainly could have missed them.

I have not been to every practice and am relying on reports, just like you and just like every other fan. From what I've read, the reports have been fairly tepid on the WRs. "Up and down" seems to be a theme--maybe Doss or Thompson has a brilliant catch here, but then he drops 2 in a row in practice. And that's really where the problem lies, isn't it? We have 3 or 4 highly explosive playmakers but nobody who delivers consistent, less spectacular production.

There is no doubt the Ravens have talent at WR, but the problem is consistency. Consistently running good routes, coming back to the football, catching every catchable throw, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I am holding my breath on Pierce. Man he is such a weapon in this offense. His acceleration once he turns it up field is out of this world.
    Me too. Didn't see the game, but saw reports that he jogged off the field after getting hit, which was a good sign, but then was spotted in the locker room with his knee wrapped, which was a bad sign...and then Harbaugh said "we're looking pretty good" with regards to the injuries, which means I am really concerned now.

Blog Entries

Aaron Mellette and LaQuan Williams need to start getting reps with the first team O.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

All in all, not too bad for the first game after losing soapy core players.

It takes time to gel and I am sure that the sloppiness will get better as the pre-season goes on.

Here's hoping there is nothing majorly wrong with Pierce and Thompson.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Consistently running good routes, coming back to the football, catching every catchable throw, etc...
    Was it just me or did Joe's INT look to be a poorly executed comeback route by Jones? It just looked to me like it would have been a catch and not an INT if he runs that route crisp and comes back another yard and a half. Just looked like a half-assed route to me.

Blog Entries

Id agree Jones should be a 3/4 guy but i dont think what we saw from Doss and Thompson is much different than Mellette and Williams. Williams had a drop when one went off his shoulder. Doss's only target was over his head during a torrential down pour so im not sure how that can be considered a drop. It seems pretty obvious to me that Harbs knew what he has with them and was protecting them and wanted to see from Mellette, Williams, Brown and Streeter. Mellette had a nice catch, ill give him that, but that was the only time i even saw the guy, so he needs more plays put together. Williams was targeted plenty and is all hustle but as a WR is 50% catch with a drop any different than Thompsons 50% with a drop? I dont see where he outplayed anybody to warrant jumping over them to run with the 1s outside Jones but they dont really play the same part in the offense. Brown had at least two drops that were probably the worst of the bunch. he rebounded and had some decent plays but again, inconsistency is not going to have you leap frogging guys. Streeter disappointed me, not because of his one target which he caught, but his total lack of effort blocking for Taylor on a QB run. player on the bubble should be showing more effort than that. I also think its hard to judge his WR skills because theyre best suited for a strong armed QB throwing downfield not Taylors or Hanies style. Seemed he was simply out there as a decoy most plays.

My opinions havent really changed, so I dont expect others to either. If you felt we needed a vet before, you likely still do, if you didnt and think the youngsters will prove themselves, I think you likely still feel that way as well.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    One preseason game comes and goes and this is your conclusion?

I highly doubt they're bringing in a vet. The team has already said they're sticking with what they've got so, baring injury, we are going to see if this group can manage.

I happen to think they're going to surprise everyone.
    My opinion isn't based on JUST one preseason game, but what both have shown last year as well. Jones hands and route running is poor. Doss comes across as passive..to me. Just my opinion.

I think folks are getting overly giddy for Mellette and Williams as they went against the grounds crew lol. What happen to the guy we got from the Packers? The name escapes me.