Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Observations

From my untrained eye:

We have a great coaching staff and great scouting department. The bottom half of our roster is really good. There are a lot of guys who it is going to be difficult to see get cut. It seems as though every pre season the team out plays other teams in the second half by a wide margin.

Furstenberg needs to get a lot of reps with the first team during practice and in next two games. He flashed the over the middle ability that we are going to miss from Pitta. It was one catch but it was impressive.

When the first team offense is in the next few games I think they need to spread it out and focus on passing. They know what they have in Leach. Lets see what we have in the receivers.

Mellette had a Boldinesque catch. He had a step and adjusted to an under thrown ball.

Marlon Brown showed some signs. He is definitely a candidate for a phantom injury.

Rainey>Berry. I would like to see Rainey get more reps as a RB. With Pierce more than likely not seeing much time the remainder of the pre season the reps should be there. He seems more explosive and less tentative.

Darryl Smith looks like a Pro Bowler. The defense is going to be among the best again. Hamilton looked good. Have to find a way to keep him active. Not sure I would play Suggs and Ngata too much as they look great.

Williams is going to be a beast for years to come. Very athletic for his size. Art Jones is going to get the Ravens a high comp pick next year.

It was good to see the short crossing stuff from Caldwell. Flacco completed 7 of 9 without going down field. These are the types of throws that gets a QB into rhythm.

Lets hope the Thompson and Pierce injuries are not serious. Thompson injury is more frustrating because we don't know what he brings in the passing game yet. Pierce could sit and you know what you are going to get from him.

Re: Observations

1. Had high expectations for the defense and was more than pleased.

2. No question we need to bring in a veteran WR with hands that can attack the middle. No confidence in Jones or Doss to fill the void.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    2. No question we need to bring in a veteran WR with hands that can attack the middle. No confidence in Jones or Doss to fill the void.
    One preseason game comes and goes and this is your conclusion?

I highly doubt they're bringing in a vet. The team has already said they're sticking with what they've got so, baring injury, we are going to see if this group can manage.

I happen to think they're going to surprise everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I highly doubt they're bringing in a vet. The team has already said they're sticking with what they've got so, baring injury, we are going to see if this group can manage.

They said the exact same things in 2010--excited about the young guys, going to stick with what they've got, see who emerges, etc.--and yet on 9/7/10 they signed TJ Houshmandzadeh; he was the #3 WR the entire season. They said the exact same things in 2011 and yet on 8/13/11 they traded for Lee Evans; he went into the season as the anointed starter at #2 WR. Obviously in 2012 they added Jacoby Jones in May.

I've been saying the Ravens needed to add a veteran receiver for a while now, and last night certainly did nothing to change my mind. Sure, that doesn't jive with what the Ravens are saying publicly, but that's no different than what happens every year. They keep their true evaluations and personnel plans close to the vest.

I just can't think that the Ravens brass is happy with the WR situation. By all accounts, no one other than Torrey has done much of anything in camp, and if you can't shine when the lights are OFF, what will you do when the lights are ON? I think we saw it last night--these guys are going to crap the bed when asked to step up and be every-down targets. 5 targets for Doss/Thompson/Jacoby, 1 catch, 3 drops. That's not gonna cut it.

If I were John Harbaugh, Mellette and LaQuan would get all the 1st team reps this week in practice. They were going against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but at least those guys can, you know, catch the ball, maybe run an actual route from time to time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    They said the exact same things in 2010--excited about the young guys, going to stick with what they've got, see who emerges, etc.--and yet on 9/7/10 they signed TJ Houshmandzadeh; he was the #3 WR the entire season. They said the exact same things in 2011 and yet on 8/13/11 they traded for Lee Evans; he went into the season as the anointed starter at #2 WR. Obviously in 2012 they added Jacoby Jones in May.

I've been saying the Ravens needed to add a veteran receiver for a while now, and last night certainly did nothing to change my mind. Sure, that doesn't jive with what the Ravens are saying publicly, but that's no different than what happens every year. They keep their true evaluations and personnel plans close to the vest.

I just can't think that the Ravens brass is happy with the WR situation. By all accounts, no one other than Torrey has done much of anything in camp, and if you can't shine when the lights are OFF, what will you do when the lights are ON? I think we saw it last night--these guys are going to crap the bed when asked to step up and be every-down targets. 5 targets for Doss/Thompson/Jacoby, 1 catch, 3 drops. That's not gonna cut it.

If I were John Harbaugh, Mellette and LaQuan would get all the 1st team reps this week in practice. They were going against 2nd and 3rd stringers, but at least those guys can, you know, catch the ball, maybe run an actual route from time to time...
    Have you been at every practice at training camp to arrive at the conclusion of nobody outside of Torrey having a good camp?

Hell just at the Annapolis practice, Thompson was supposedly Flacco's favorite target according to reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Have you been at every practice at training camp to arrive at the conclusion of nobody outside of Torrey having a good camp?

Hell just at the Annapolis practice, Thompson was supposedly Flacco's favorite target according to reports.
    That's interesting, because I just went back through all the sources I follow, and I couldn't find a single mention of such a thing. In fact, the Ravens' website didn't mention Thompson at all during their recap of the Annapolis practice. RSR mentioned only that he caught a quick slant on an audible from Flacco. I'm not sure what reports you're talking about--I certainly could have missed them.

I have not been to every practice and am relying on reports, just like you and just like every other fan. From what I've read, the reports have been fairly tepid on the WRs. "Up and down" seems to be a theme--maybe Doss or Thompson has a brilliant catch here, but then he drops 2 in a row in practice. And that's really where the problem lies, isn't it? We have 3 or 4 highly explosive playmakers but nobody who delivers consistent, less spectacular production.

There is no doubt the Ravens have talent at WR, but the problem is consistency. Consistently running good routes, coming back to the football, catching every catchable throw, etc...

I don't know why LaQuan doesn't get more chances. He consistently shows smarts, speed, hustle and toughness on special teams. Over the past couple years, he's made a few nice tackles as a gunner on STs... not to mention last nights ST plays. I know that doesn't carry over to WR play... But just maybe he's a gamer and good things happen when he's on the field.

As a rookie, he didn't get a lot playing time at WR, but he got more than he does now. When he did play, he made the most of it. Am I the only one who remembers the 3rd down catch he made for a first down in the night game against the Steelers.... It wasn't impressive as Boldin's Superbowl 3rd down conversion.... but I remember wondering how the hell Joe could trust a scrub rookie on a 3rd down and long slant in traffic... and LaQuan came through more than once... I'd love to see him start for 3 quarters.

Our D looks like monsters. I think when our secondary gets it shit together... Joe and the boys are gonna have a lot of short fields.

Blog Entries

Id agree Jones should be a 3/4 guy but i dont think what we saw from Doss and Thompson is much different than Mellette and Williams. Williams had a drop when one went off his shoulder. Doss's only target was over his head during a torrential down pour so im not sure how that can be considered a drop. It seems pretty obvious to me that Harbs knew what he has with them and was protecting them and wanted to see from Mellette, Williams, Brown and Streeter. Mellette had a nice catch, ill give him that, but that was the only time i even saw the guy, so he needs more plays put together. Williams was targeted plenty and is all hustle but as a WR is 50% catch with a drop any different than Thompsons 50% with a drop? I dont see where he outplayed anybody to warrant jumping over them to run with the 1s outside Jones but they dont really play the same part in the offense. Brown had at least two drops that were probably the worst of the bunch. he rebounded and had some decent plays but again, inconsistency is not going to have you leap frogging guys. Streeter disappointed me, not because of his one target which he caught, but his total lack of effort blocking for Taylor on a QB run. player on the bubble should be showing more effort than that. I also think its hard to judge his WR skills because theyre best suited for a strong armed QB throwing downfield not Taylors or Hanies style. Seemed he was simply out there as a decoy most plays.

My opinions havent really changed, so I dont expect others to either. If you felt we needed a vet before, you likely still do, if you didnt and think the youngsters will prove themselves, I think you likely still feel that way as well.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

My opinion isn't based on JUST one preseason game, but what both have shown last year as well. Jones hands and route running is poor. Doss comes across as passive..to me. Just my opinion.

I think folks are getting overly giddy for Mellette and Williams as they went against the grounds crew lol. What happen to the guy we got from the Packers? The name escapes me.

Blog Entries

I think folks are getting overly giddy for Mellette and Williams as they went against the grounds crew lol. What happen to the guy we got from the Packers? The name escapes me.
    Tori Gurley.

He was cut back in May I believe.

And frankly, you are correct that Mellette and Williams were playing against the Buc's C and D squad. I still think that they should all get reps with the first team O against the first team D. I've always felt that way though.

Injuries happen (as we know all too well, unfortunately) and I think it is important to see how younger guys react against better players with better players.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

My opinion isn't based on JUST one preseason game, but what both have shown last year as well. Jones hands and route running is poor. Doss comes across as passive..to me. Just my opinion.
    Well, I can't speak to his route running, but I remember several slant routes where he made some very impressive catches in traffic. Every player drops catches...even St. Boldin and St. Pitta.