Seaon Opening Cap Projection

With a guess (please, it's just a guess) at the season-opening roster, I would put the Ravens at around $2.6M under. That number could go up or down a couple $100K based on the final composition of the roster.

http://russellstreetreport.com/proje...s-version-2-0/

This also assumes no more injuries (fingers crossed) and no other signings.

They may need more Cap space at some point in the future, if injuries mount.

One place they could get a decent amount of Cap space now is Jameel McClain. Could/should they release him?

http://russellstreetreport.com/might...lease-mcclain/
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Re: Seaon Opening Cap Projection

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    One place they could get a decent amount of Cap space now is Jameel McClain. Could/should they release him?

http://russellstreetreport.com/might...lease-mcclain/
    I would say the Ravens should hold onto McClain for now and put him on the PUP list. What good is carrying additional cap space, unless they just want to roll it into next season? If McClain can come back six weeks into the season, he could still help this team win later in the year. That could change if they suffer another injury or if a player that they think can really help the team becomes available for some reason. I don't think any player that is cut at this point will be an impact player, but they still may entertain a trade possibility.

I still think they need another WR. I know that the Ravens have said that they will not trade for a veteran WR, but that could change depending on how the first couple of preseason games turn out.

I'd cut McClain and put that money towards the cap for next year, barring any injuries that would necessitate using it. Lots of Ravens becoming FA's after the season.

Blog Entries
    I don't really see the big deal about McClain. He's a serviceable LB, and Daryl Smith is better anyway. We have some younger options who are talented. We can win without him.

Blog Entries

If we were to expect the defensive front to perform as poorly as it did last year, I would be in favor of retaining McClain. However, with the defensive front so deep and now capable of returning this defense to its proper form, I think the options at ILB should feel less pressure to perform. McClain becomes expendable in my opinion, when you consider the other options on the team.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

McClain's injury shouldn't be pushed IMO. He should consider his future health and work out a deal to retire or otherwise they should release him.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I'm in the camp of releasing him. Even if he COULD come back mid season would he be a upgrade over who we're gonna be starting right now? I say doubtfull.

Blog Entries

If they did release McClain they'd be able to sign him back at a lower rate if they needed to. Very tough for McClain to make a roster in the shape he's in.

I'd also be in favor of releasing McClain and had hoped the team would have done that already. However it seems clear that they don't want to do that for whatever reason. Seems like he will go to IR if nothing else.

It would be nice to roll over as much cap space as we can into next year.We'll be tight against the cap again.

And it sure looks like we ain't gonna be adding a vet WR. Not even *gasp* Randy Moss.

I wish I knew more about the chances he has a full recovery. A spinal cord injury is nothing to play with, so there should be concern for him long term. What I know is he is still unable to play or practice with contact and it will be sometime before he's in football shape once he is cleared. With Brown, Smith, Bynes and McClellan the Ravens have depth. I don't think if and when he gets back to 100% he's much of an upgrade. Especially considering his salary is taking up some CAP space. I'd say an injury settlement seems to be a likely possibility. I like the guy and it's a shame he suffered such a bad injury.