Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CAMP NOTES: Tyrod Taylor, a poor man's RG III?

It’s interesting to observe the differences between the Ravens No. 1 and No. 2 offenses during training camp practices. And clearly those differences start with the wide disparity in skill sets between the No. 1 and No. 2 quarterbacks.

One is a 6’6” statuesque, classic drop back pocket passer. The other is a 6’1” (listed) poor man’s answer to RG III.

In the past, Cam Cameron has had Tyrod Taylor execute the offense the same way as Joe Flacco. But given the vastly inferior sight lines and release points, the former Virginia Tech star abandons the pocket quickly and attempts to make plays with his feet.

This has left his offensive mates with a mild feeling of helplessness, as they become mere spectators, while opposing defenses attempt to corral the elusive quarterback.

But executing a Joe Flacco-style offense given his physical shortcomings is a steep challenge for Taylor. Yet it was thought to be the best way to manage the offense should the Ravens be faced with the undesirable predicament of handing the reins over to their back-up.

Apparently that approach has been ditched.

Continue here...
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: CAMP NOTES: Tyrod Taylor, a poor man's RG III?

Make that an extremely poor man...

Blog Entries

Tyler Thigpen is still out there...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

A few days ago, I had thought this was mentioned in camp notes, but heard that Tyrod was not really excelling in the read-option yet. Basically, still very clumsy/rusty in it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

This might also help to explain why so many different WRs have had their opportunities to run with the first unit.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Make that an extremely poor man...
    Food Stamps RGIII
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Yeah lets not kid ourselves, if Flacco ever goes down, we are completely fucked.

We haven't had a serviceable backup QB since Marc Bulger retired.

Blog Entries

This is why I love Caldwell. He doesn't try to force guys into a specific system *cough*Cam Cameron*cough*. He'll do whatever he thinks works best with what guys he has.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
    Yeah lets not kid ourselves, if Flacco ever goes down, we are completely fucked.

We haven't had a serviceable backup QB since Marc Bulger retired.
    Tyrod as a traditional style QB? Yes, fucked.

Tailoring the offense to his strengths? Probably no Super Bowl, but hardly fucked.

Tyrod has a good arm on him, is a gamer, and makes things happen. He has a lot of intangibles that you can't coach.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Just like Pitt always survives when Ben goes out a few games, the Ravens could do the same. It would probably be a benefit to run a completely different style, especially 'mid game' when the opponent had no chance to prepare. Hope TT never gets to run it in a real game unless it's due to the Ravens blowing out the opponent, but it's a good plan just in case. I'd still rather see a more competent backup

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries
    I hope we see the option in the pre season games.

Sounds logical, but:

Curious as to what other changes would be made in the offense if this experiment is to play out. Bryant McKinnie and Vonta Leach would be mis-fits. Taylor has thus far looked overwhelmed in trying to play with the big boys. He's not in a league with, or even on the same planet as RG3.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go out to get a qualified pro offense backup QB? There are plenty out there.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).