Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: CAMP NOTES August 5: Defense stepping up, WR concerns continue

Quote Originally Posted by palukaraven View Post
    You're entitled to disagree, no doubt. When I meant complaining w/o contributing, it was in response to one of your responses to my post where I was making suggestions, and you retaliated by essentially telling it us it was "too late to make changes." And that's fine if that's how you feel, but I truly believe there are options on the table, as do you when you later suggested Stokley and Floyd! :) Yes it sucks the young guys aren't stepping up yet, but, wait and see how things pan out, they may turn out better than you or I believe.
    I was trying to provide context. I'm responding to people who keep insisting that "there's time", and using Housh and Evans as examples of a successful strategy. I'm arguing that it's a failed strategy, and has always been a failed strategy. The Ravens didn't hesitate to go out right away and sign big name defensive players. Meanwhile, the offense, or more specifically, the WRs, got pushed to the back burner. All I'm saying is that the longer you "wait", the less options you have available. That's just common sense; I don't see how that's avoiding your question(s). (i.e. "could have, should have, all in the past", etc.)

This was alluded to in another post that linked to a MMQB article, but last season, the Ravens had two guys who could run in-breaking routes across the middle and make tough catches in traffic. Pitta used route-running, body control, and great hands. Boldin used body control, physicality, and veteran savvy. Different approaches, different skill-sets, but the same type of pass-catching production.

The Ravens now have NO ONE on the roster who can produce like that over the middle. Torrey and Jacoby are outside receivers who produce with speed and neither of them have ever produced as slot types, nor will they ever. Deonte Thompson is a similar player. Doss is too soft, lacks route-running skill, and has stone hands. David Reed is too small and fragile. Streeter can't make sharp cuts and isn't really an NFL wide receiver, much less a slot guy. LaQuan and Mellette both have some toughness and catching ability but neither has proven anything and both are having modest camps.

It's not just a question of "who's the best receiver out there." They NEED proven players who can replace Boldin and Pitta's production over the middle. Right now, they have 0, and they probably need TWO, not one. They need to pick somebody up, and IMO right now I agree that Stokely might be the best choice.

Blog Entries

Once the roster cuts begin, I'm sure Oz has his eye on a couple of guys. That's probably as good as it gets right now

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This was alluded to in another post that linked to a MMQB article, but last season, the Ravens had two guys who could run in-breaking routes across the middle and make tough catches in traffic. Pitta used route-running, body control, and great hands. Boldin used body control, physicality, and veteran savvy. Different approaches, different skill-sets, but the same type of pass-catching production.

The Ravens now have NO ONE on the roster who can produce like that over the middle. Torrey and Jacoby are outside receivers who produce with speed and neither of them have ever produced as slot types, nor will they ever. Deonte Thompson is a similar player. Doss is too soft, lacks route-running skill, and has stone hands. David Reed is too small and fragile. Streeter can't make sharp cuts and isn't really an NFL wide receiver, much less a slot guy. LaQuan and Mellette both have some toughness and catching ability but neither has proven anything and both are having modest camps.

It's not just a question of "who's the best receiver out there." They NEED proven players who can replace Boldin and Pitta's production over the middle. Right now, they have 0, and they probably need TWO, not one. They need to pick somebody up, and IMO right now I agree that Stokely might be the best choice.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Once the roster cuts begin, I'm sure Oz has his eye on a couple of guys. That's probably as good as it gets right now
    Why not pick up Stokley now, and consider someone else afterwards?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Why not pick up Stokley now, and consider someone else afterwards?
    My guess is that they don't want to bring in a 37 year old to go across the middle. They already signed a 33 year old TE. Patience

This reminds me of Torrey a few years ago. Panic mode by the media and fans arose early in training camp when he had hands of stone. The Ravens didn't panic and stuck with him despite the fan base was in dire straits. It got so bad Harbaugh defended him, "just lay off the kid".

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/har...kid-18571.html

The opinion that parting with Boldin is a mistake is well documented. The point has been made several times on a daily basis without bringing anything new to the argument. It's an unhealthy compulsion to make the same negative argument over and over on just about every thread on the board. He's been gone 4 months now and nothing is going to bring him back. Let it go!

I'm not excited about the available FAs out there, but I expect someone will be released in training camp, just have to be patient on that. I was hoping Streeter was going to impress, but it looks like his stock is dropping. I'm hopping on the Deonte bandwagon and hope he can step up. His speed is a bonus and sounds like he's running good routes. I have to think Doss has to step up this year if he wants a future on the team.

We haven't played a preseason game yet, so the ledge jumpers should keep a reasonable perspective on just where the team is in this process.

My guess is that they don't want to bring in a 37 year old to go across the middle. They already signed a 33 year old TE. Patience
    There's a time for patience; and there's a time for action. I believe this is a time for action.

Now, obviously this being from BR.com's chat (grain of salt and all that) .....

nickh0801:
    There's been a lot of reports saying that Doss has the dropsies and isn't impressing anyone in camp. Why are you still so highly of him if that is the case? Are they wrong reports?

Ryan Mink: Wrong reports. He had a few drops early on in training camp, but I haven't seen a problem with that over the last week or so.

Erick:
    Furstenberg or Mellette: Which one has the bigger impact on the offense this year?
    Tuesday August 6, 2013 12:23

Ryan Mink: I doubt either will.
    Billy:
    We dont hear any news on Streeter, is there any?
    Tuesday August 6, 2013 12:24

Ryan Mink: He has not been very impressive. I think he's on the outside looking in for a roster spot, as of now.
    Dumbo:
    Is Juszczyk catching passes?
    Tuesday August 6, 2013 12:27

Ryan Mink: He had probably the catch of the day last year with a diving snag in traffic. It was very impressive. That said, I'm not on the bandwagon of people thinking he's the answer to Pitta's loss.
    ave:
    Given what I've been reading, is it safe to say Deonte Thompson is starting to stand out from the competition?
    Tuesday August 6, 2013 12:29

Ryan Mink: Yes, I would say so.
    Erick:
    Is there a possibility for a sharp increase in spread looks? Torrey/Jacoby/Doss/Thomposon with Rice sounds pretty formidable and Dickson is going to miss out on some chemistry with Joe in the preseason
    Tuesday August 6, 2013 12:31

Ryan Mink: I think the Ravens could spread things out more, yes. I think 3 WRs will be pretty prevalent. And yeah, I think Ray Rice will be more of a weapon in the passing game too.

Grapple Raven:
    Has LaQuan Williams been doing well in camp? Does he have a chance at making the 53?
    Tuesday August 6, 2013 12:33

Ryan Mink: He's been up and down. Yeah, I think he has a chance. He's got to continue to do well on special teams. For now, that's still his ticket.
    Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 08-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    There's a time for patience; and there's a time for action. I believe this is a time for action.
    they haven't even had so much as a scrimmage or one preseason game yet. The front office doesn't operate that way, they won't panic and sign a 37 year old guy who's been on a half dozen teams

Blog Entries

Doss drops a couple of passes in one game...and now he has stone hands?

Ok.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

they haven't even had so much as a scrimmage or one preseason game yet. The front office doesn't operate that way, they won't panic and sign a 37 year old guy who's been on a half dozen teams
    We'll see what happens come opening day.