Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: CAMP NOTES August 5: Defense stepping up, WR concerns continue

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Right. Because Evans and Housh really helped out a lot. That's clearly the way to go. Ya know...all those great WRs just hanging around until right before the start of the season to just go and pick off the tree. That's the way to really build a great offense.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ozzie KNEW that he already HAD the best WRs available RIGHT HERE JUST WAITING TO GET THEIR SHOT. I mean...just look at all the posters here saying that very thing. So let's not push any panic buttons; in Oz we trust, right?
    I think you're missing his point.

He's not saying those were quality signings. Rather, he pointing out Ozzie's patience.

Relax, playa.

Blog Entries

Right. Because Evans and Housh really helped out a lot. That's clearly the way to go. Ya know...all those great WRs just hanging around until right before the start of the season to just go and pick off the tree. That's the way to really build a great offense.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Ozzie KNEW that he already HAD the best WRs available RIGHT HERE JUST WAITING TO GET THEIR SHOT. I mean...just look at all the posters here saying that very thing. So let's not push any panic buttons; in Oz we trust, right?
    After winning the Super Bowl it has to be 'In Oz we Trust'. He's earned that for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I just can't see a team trading any decent WR at this point. Maybe if they have enough depth they'd trade one of their subs but it looks like we'll probably go with what we've got or pick up an available FA... and they're available for a reason...
    And sometimes, the "available for a reason" player is better than the current options. An upgrade is still an upgrade, even if the available player isn't top notch. If Doss wins the #3 spot, the Ravens are in trouble. I'm just not sold on him at all. He's still a bust IMO. At this point, Thompson is my #3 winner and I'm sure there will be a better option that becomes available when teams start cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think you're missing his point.

He's not saying those were quality signings. Rather, he pointing out Ozzie's patience.

Relax, playa.
    Missing his point? He states clearly that "there's plenty of time" to fix the WR situation, and he points to Evans and Housh, BOTH of whom were failures representing a failed strategy -- waiting until too late, when only retreads are available. So no...I'm not missing his point at all -- I'm rejecting the absurdity of advocating a failed strategy as some sort of reasonable solution.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    And sometimes, the "available for a reason" player is better than the current options. An upgrade is still an upgrade, even if the available player isn't top notch.
    Totally agreed with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    If Doss wins the #3 spot, the Ravens are in trouble. I'm just not sold on him at all. He's still a bust IMO. At this point, Thompson is my #3 winner and I'm sure there will be a better option that becomes available when teams start cuts.
    Not so much here. If you think Thompson is the #3 winner and Doss beats him out, why would that mean we're in trouble?

Blog Entries

Missing his point? He states clearly that "there's plenty of time" to fix the WR situation, and he points to Evans and Housh, BOTH of whom were failures representing a failed strategy -- waiting until too late, when only retreads are available. So no...I'm not missing his point at all -- I'm rejecting the absurdity of advocating a failed strategy as some sort of reasonable solution.
    You may not be missing the point, it does seem you're arguing a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    After winning the Super Bowl it has to be 'In Oz we Trust'. He's earned that for this year.
    Funny you should use "winning the Super Bowl" as your reason for supporting this year's strategy. Especially since Boldin, who was instrumental in winning the Super Bowl, is no longer on the team, and the strategy to replace him has been to rely on unproven WRs, who to date, have shown absolutely nothing. Yeah. That makes sense.

Agreed that the Evans and Houshmandzadeh experiment were not successful, and that picking up one of the available wide outs left on the FA market may not be an upgrade over the current roster.
    With that said, what do you suggest the Ravens front office do in a situation like this, if you're not in agreement with anyone's suggestions and speculations? It's ok to debate with other's opinions, therefore let's hear what you have to suggest to remedy the situation.

Funny you should use "winning the Super Bowl" as your reason for supporting this year's strategy. Especially since Boldin, who was instrumental in winning the Super Bowl, is no longer on the team, and the strategy to replace him has been to rely on unproven WRs, who to date, have shown absolutely nothing. Yeah. That makes sense.
    I think most people on here have moved on from Boldin and are discussing possible options for the Ravens. You apparently have not moved on. Boldin isn't coming back, so you may want to come to grips with that.

It's not far fetched to believe that it may be better for the Ravens to wait a couple weeks and see what unfolds instead of panicking and picking up something from the scrap heap. That's all I'm saying.

Are the WRs on your roster equivalent to the mediocre slot WRs/TEs available as free agents? They have more upside simply because the players available have already maxed out as mediocre. It is too early to push the panic button. If after two pre season games it looks bad Ozzie will have to look into a trade. These guys are just getting their first opportunity. It may take some time for them to hit their stride.

Blog Entries

Ozzie and Harbaugh made the decisions that led to the Super Bowl last year. People were screaming this time last year about many of those decisions and they proved them wrong. I'm going to wait and see what the plan is before jumping all over them because they've earned it.

How has it failed?

Housh wasn't that bad and Evans was serviceable but for one huge drop.

Ozzie has had the same strategy for every position and we seem to do just fine in the end.

To label his approach as absurd and unreasonable flies in the face of our team success.