Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CAMP NOTES August 5: Defense stepping up, WR concerns continue

The Ravens spent a good part of the offseason retooling their defense. They wanted to get faster, younger and more importantly better. They have yet to step on the field against an opponent but it’s safe to say – MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Dean Pees unit is deep and they can beat you in many different ways. The back end coverage is better and the front seven is vastly improved. You may not see it in full bloom during the preseason or even during the first month of the regular season. But eventually, particularly during the second half of the season, the Ravens defense will once again be considered among the league’s best.

Offensively the running game looks better. Ray Rice is Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce looks more decisive and stronger and Joe Flacco is playing at a new level. The offensive line looks more cohesive even if Marshal Yanda has yet to join his mates in practice and they have seemingly been reinvigorated by new “Run Game Coordinator” Juan Castillo.

Castillo for all intents and purposes is the new offensive line coach. He may not be in title but one only needs to attend practice once to see that he’s effectually usurped the offensive front authority from Andy Moeller. And if the zone blocking exhibited in camp so far is any indication, the running game will flourish.

Now for the bad…

The biggest concern amongst fans and observers of the team by far is the position of wide receiver. Those concerns have seen little relief and team officials are quietly concerned. They are hoping that someone steps up but so far no one other than Torrey Smith has done so consistently. The best of the lot competing for the No. 3 spot is Deonte Thompson.

There are lingering concerns about Tandon Doss’ toughness and Tommy Streeter has been awful. LaQuan Williams has practiced well and look out for UDFA Marlon Brown from Georgia. He’s got a shot to make the team.

ALL OF TODAY'S NOTES HERE

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 10.19.09 PM.jpg
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: CAMP NOTES August 5: Defense stepping up, WR concerns continue

Good stuff Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Wonder if they will add another pair of hands?
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Wonder if they will add another pair of hands?
    I wonder what other teams are making available.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

We need someone to throw us a bone......I bet Lee Evans is out there. :) :)
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Nah. He'd probably drop it :(

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 808 Raven View Post
    Nah. He'd probably drop it :(

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I wonder what other teams are making available.

I just can't see a team trading any decent WR at this point. Maybe if they have enough depth they'd trade one of their subs but it looks like we'll probably go with what we've got or pick up an available FA... and they're available for a reason...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I just can't see a team trading any decent WR at this point. Maybe if they have enough depth they'd trade one of their subs but it looks like we'll probably go with what we've got or pick up an available FA... and they're available for a reason...
    And sometimes, the "available for a reason" player is better than the current options. An upgrade is still an upgrade, even if the available player isn't top notch. If Doss wins the #3 spot, the Ravens are in trouble. I'm just not sold on him at all. He's still a bust IMO. At this point, Thompson is my #3 winner and I'm sure there will be a better option that becomes available when teams start cuts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    And sometimes, the "available for a reason" player is better than the current options. An upgrade is still an upgrade, even if the available player isn't top notch.
    Totally agreed with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    If Doss wins the #3 spot, the Ravens are in trouble. I'm just not sold on him at all. He's still a bust IMO. At this point, Thompson is my #3 winner and I'm sure there will be a better option that becomes available when teams start cuts.
    Not so much here. If you think Thompson is the #3 winner and Doss beats him out, why would that mean we're in trouble?

Blog Entries

I like the part about Castillo being the oline coach. I remember getting flamed for saying he was essentially the oline coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I like the part about Castillo being the oline coach. I remember getting flamed for saying he was essentially the oline coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Drinky Moeller was probably in over his head even w/o the DUIs.

Harwood and Reid were [and still ARE] projects in the rough. McKinnie needed motivation as much as coaching. Oher was not going to become an elite NFL LT, Hollywood notwithstanding.
    A dodgy agenda over which, Moeller never projected confidence.