Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Random Tidbit on a former player (Marcus Smith)

I'm sure everyone remembers former 4th Round Pick WR Marcus Smith out of the University of New Mexico who mainly played special teams. I had all but forgotten about this guy until today. I lived in Albuquerque for 4 years while in High School and still talk to several of my old friends. One friend in particular owns a Pawn Shop off Central Ave. right near the University of New Mexico. He called me today and was like, Hey, have you ever heard of Marcus Smith? I told him I knew exactly who he was blah blah blah. Anyway, he told me he literally just walked out of his pawn shop after inquiring about a job. He asked my friend if they were hiring and my friend told him not really, but feel free to leave me your resume. After he left he noticed he had Baltimore Ravens as a former employer. He also said he has a criminology degree and mentioned he just moved back to Albuquerque and is looking for something temporary just to keep him on his feet until he finds something more specific to his degree. As a 4th round pick I'm sure he didnt make a ton of money while playing in the NFL, but this is a perfect example of how quickly an average draft picks career comes and goes and they are driven back down earth. I remember I was pretty excited about the Ravens drafting him as I have a little bit of semi home town pride for Albuquerque and the University of New Mexico. I felt the same about Stoney Case. That ACL injury in the preseason of Smiths 2nd year really put alot of doubt in any kind of future with the team.

Re: Random Tidbit on a former player (Marcus Smith)

I suppose it's good that a lot of these guys finish their degree, in the event they are out of a job some day.

That is a h*ll of a reality check...

I was really high on Marcus Smith for a little while. Shame his career never worked out

I've worked with a couple of guys in the past who had short pro careers. A few hundred thousand isn't going to set you up for life. I hope he's dong well.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I was really high on Marcus Smith for a little while.
    Me too.

Knee injury in preseason 2009, covering a kick, I think it was a punt. I was at that game with my dad: the opponent was the Skins, and it was my dad's first time at Ravens stadium. (He's a long-time O's fan.) When Smith came back in 2010, we had acquired TJ Housh, and Smith never really got another shot as a WR. Who knows if he still had his speed or cutting ability.

Stupid preseason games.

Best of luck to you, Marcus.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing. That's a hell of a story and it's one that I hope some of these rookies hear about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Thanks for sharing. That's a hell of a story and it's one that I hope some of these rookies hear about.
    I agree. The fact is a lot of these guys wash out of the league very quickly. Only a small percentage of guys are pulling huge contracts.

Thanks for sharing. In 2008, the average salary for a 4th round pick was about 650,000 a year. He spent 3 years with the Ravens so that's almost 2 million. He must have spent it terribly if he is looking for a job at a pawn shop.

Marcus Smith

7/18/2008: Signed a three-year, $1.519 million contract. The deal included a $369,000 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: Restricted Free Agent

After taxes that is probably around 900k.

We also have no idea how much money he has. Just because you have money doesn't mean you can get a good, high-paying job. Neither does it mean if you are looking for "any old job" you must be broke.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Marcus Smith

7/18/2008: Signed a three-year, $1.519 million contract. The deal included a $369,000 signing bonus. 2009: $385,000, 2010: $470,000, 2011: Restricted Free Agent

After taxes that is probably around 900k.

We also have no idea how much money he has. Just because you have money doesn't mean you can get a good, high-paying job. Neither does it mean if you are looking for "any old job" you must be broke.
    subtract a 500k house, couple of 100k cars, jewelry, family expenses/gifts, partying, etc...down to ~200k IMO

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    subtract a 500k house, couple of 100k cars, jewelry, family expenses/gifts, partying, etc...down to ~200k IMO
    Or he's simply looking for interesting work to pass the time until he gets a career in the field he earned a degree in. Not everyone looking for work is broke, and not every player buys mansions and Bentleys.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron