Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: Mark Sanchez and "The Butt Stumble"

low-
    Thanks, I didn't mean to disparage Ozzie or his choice of Joe, more that it just ain't that simple to look at the draft QBs and go, "Well, shit, this is a slam dunk, I'll grab Joe Bifftlespick with our 1st round pick and we're off to the races!"

As much as we all critique the Ravens (and other) FOs on their draft selections, it's apparently not all that simple...

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I remember a time not all that long ago when some (hi Trent Dilfer ) actually thought Sanchez was better than Joe.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Bill Parcells used to be well known for his own rules when drafting a QB

Some recent successful examples who fit these rules are Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick.

A recent successful example who did not fit the rules is Cam Newton.

I'm meandering here, the rules may help a franchise but you can also miss good draftees too. There are exceptions as you say
    Even more notable than Cam Newton: Aaron Rodgers, who wasn't a senior and didn't graduate (he ha three seasons if you count his community college season as a Freshman and he had the wins as well if you count that too).

Oh and Joe Flacco, who didn't graduate, didn't have the wins, and didn't start for three years. Two huge examples of very successful NFL draft pick QBs who didn't meet Parcell's criteria.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    I remember a time not all that long ago when some (hi Trent Dilfer ) actually thought Sanchez was better than Joe.
    Oh man I remember reading that article. To me Sanchez was always a bust. How he acted in Hard Knocks really sold it for me. He was constantly forgetting his playbook and just never seemed prepared.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Even more notable than Cam Newton: Aaron Rodgers, who wasn't a senior and didn't graduate (he ha three seasons if you count his community college season as a Freshman and he had the wins as well if you count that too).

Oh and Joe Flacco, who didn't graduate, didn't have the wins, and didn't start for three years. Two huge examples of very successful NFL draft pick QBs who didn't meet Parcell's criteria.
    Flacco played in the senior bowl and went to the combine

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Flacco played in the senior bowl and went to the combine
    Ok? That doesn't have anything to do with my comment haha. I was saying that Flacco didn't meet Bill Parcells' must have criteria for drafting a quarterback. Flacco was a senior when he was drafted. That was the only criteria he met.

I saw Sanchez's first pro game(pre-season at Baltimore, 2009). He stunk. He looked overmatched and not an NFL caliber QB. I think I posted that on Sunspot, and some got on my case for judging him so quickly. Sometimes, well, you just KNOW.

I knew he was a bust from the get go. I wish I could get rich for sucking at my job.

Re: Mark Sanchex and "The Butt Stumble"

Sorry but I disagree with that sentiment. The Jets didn't have to give that huge contract. That is all on the team management. That is the same way people criticized Boller. Would you give the money back?

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Agree. I shouldn't feel bad for a guy who is stealing money from his boss.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post

How many college QBs, yet alone football players, actually graduate and receive a degree? The numbers are rather low compared to other NCAA sports. Plus, those guys don't even study difficult majors. Most of them are criminal justice, arts and sciences, and basketweaving.

Sanchez is another over rated USC QB. After Palmer nobody from that school at QB has done anything in the NFL except been made a mockery of. I think Boller was a better Qb than Sanchez. Kyle would get happy feet too, but would stay in and take the hit, and not crumble like a Sanchez does.

Quote Originally Posted by DColeman View Post
    Sanchez is another over rated USC QB. After Palmer nobody from that school at QB has done anything in the NFL except been made a mockery of. I think Boller was a better Qb than Sanchez. Kyle would get happy feet too, but would stay in and take the hit, and not crumble like a Sanchez does.
    I would even argue Carson Palmer has not been a great QB. He's only played in TWO playoff games in his career. For as highly touted as he was, IMO Palmer has failed to live up to expectations. If you look at him in the regular season, Palmer has not done much since he "retired" with the Bengals. Since coming out of retirement, he's failed to regain his form in Cincy. Add him to the list of overrated QBs from 'SC.