Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Asa Jackson Suspended 8 games for violating PED Policy

Oh I understan Lob, but like Captain Offense said, the team would go to bat for him. Additionally, I would imagine, given the physical information an NFL player has to divulge, prior to a season, like meds, the team would have caught it. Whatever doctor I see, I list all my meds if I am on any, you can be damn sure the Ravens ask that prior to start of the season.

One time, I can see. Two, I have a hard time.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

I have to agree with Cap'n O as well, something isn't making sense to me.

If Jackson was dinged a year (or whenever) ago, supposedly for the same thing, do we conclude that the guy has to file for an NFL permission slip each year? That doesn't make sense to me if ADHD (or whatever the specific condition is) is a chronic situation. Further, if Jackson had this situation a year ago and was ultimately cleared to play, does that not imply that he would have had to clear the permission process (i.e., "yes, you may take the prescribed medicine") prior to this season?

I don't know the specifics of the NFL process, nor their policy, but what seems muddled is the idea that a guy who has been directed to take an acceptable drug which is authorized on the NFL's "permissible to take this drug" list, by an approved, licensed physician, is being suspended for basically 1/2 season (remember how some guys who overtly commit acts on the field get a game or two?) and the HC reportedly says, "He's getting what he deserves".

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but there's got to be more to this...

This debate some of you are having assumes it is Adderall.

Under the CBA, teams and the league cannot say what PED was found in his system. The player, however, can go out and say it was Adderall, poppy seed bagels, etc and the team still has to keep quiet.

Now consider this is his second time and Harbs is on record saying Asa is getting what he deserves.

It's possible this is just an Adderall issue involving notification. But to me, it's just as possible it was something else and Asa is lying his ass off.

HR-
    I agree, and that is why I've included disclaimers in my posts about what his condition truly is, what the "PED" being cited truly is, and so forth. Without having factual information about those types of issues, everything else is speculation. What I see as confusing is trying to synch up Jackson's self-professed twitter "innocence" and reported facts like this being a second offense, or Harbaugh's comments, or the severity of the punishment for what would seem to be a relatively easy issue to resolve (i.e., IFF the guy is the victim of a team physician leaving and some unattended paperwork). There's too much unclear about what has/is really going on to make a call.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    HR-
    I agree, and that is why I've included disclaimers in my posts about what his condition truly is, what the "PED" being cited truly is, and so forth. Without having factual information about those types of issues, everything else is speculation. What I see as confusing is trying to synch up Jackson's self-professed twitter "innocence" and reported facts like this being a second offense, or Harbaugh's comments, or the severity of the punishment for what would seem to be a relatively easy issue to resolve (i.e., IFF the guy is the victim of a team physician leaving and some unattended paperwork). There's too much unclear about what has/is really going on to make a call.
    Sums up my POV as well. If everything is pretty much as Jackson claims, then it seems as if he's taking one for the team here--but if he screwed up at any point in the chain (e.g., by submitting the paperwork late or improperly completed), then that's on him. And as HR properly notes, a lot more (& a lot different) might be going on here, & it's hard to conceive of any of that that would be favorable to Jackson's situation.

But until & unless we know more, I don't see what harm there is in idle speculation, so long as it doesn't include character assassination.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    I have to agree with Cap'n O as well, something isn't making sense to me.

If Jackson was dinged a year (or whenever) ago, supposedly for the same thing, do we conclude that the guy has to file for an NFL permission slip each year? That doesn't make sense to me if ADHD (or whatever the specific condition is) is a chronic situation. Further, if Jackson had this situation a year ago and was ultimately cleared to play, does that not imply that he would have had to clear the permission process (i.e., "yes, you may take the prescribed medicine") prior to this season?

I don't know the specifics of the NFL process, nor their policy, but what seems muddled is the idea that a guy who has been directed to take an acceptable drug which is authorized on the NFL's "permissible to take this drug" list, by an approved, licensed physician, is being suspended for basically 1/2 season (remember how some guys who overtly commit acts on the field get a game or two?) and the HC reportedly says, "He's getting what he deserves".

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but there's got to be more to this...
    Something's definitely not adding up here, that's for sure.

I think this was the problem. I would guess it was entirely Asa's and his agent's fault.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ons-by-sunday/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think this was the problem. I would guess it was entirely Asa's and his agent's fault.

It's stunning that any player knowing the stakes of not getting that taken care of by the deadline would allow it to lapse. I'm sure it happens but you really have to dumb for miss that date

Haloti-
    Thanks, that article adds some facts (re: the renewal process), which may help put this into perspective and explain some things. I was unaware that a player would need to renew such a permission - e.g., if the condition is chronic and not expected to "go away", I'm unclear why a guy needs to tell the NFL annually, "Nope, still have it, and need my meds".

OTOH, if them's the rules, AND it's Jackson's second time through the grinder, I have less sympathy. Lob's examples at the doctor's office are good examples of how a process should have easily been excepted to let him maintain his appointment. But I suspect the NFL has a priority of showing they're tough on drugs and not making exceptions. Sure, Jackson may have a case of "Hey, the doctor screwed up", but I still go back to Belushi and Carrie Fisher in The Blues Brothers!:liar:

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

And how does this address Jackson's claim that he did what he was supposed to do and the team doctor quit before turning his paperwork in on time?

RR21215-
    I hear you, but what would still bother me in that case is, why the Harbaugh comments, and why would not the team jump in publicly, explain that there WAS some administrative foul-up, and have Jackson's back? In fairness to Jackson, IFF he did everything that he was supposed to do and in a timely manner, I don't see how it would be on him to follow-up (or even be aware that the doctor left) on the processing of his paperwork. And if that is the case (that he did everything properly), I can't see why he wouldn't have a legitimate grievance through the NFLPA, or subsequent legal action against the team.

I'm still unsure of what's going on, but I suspect the clouds are starting to part just a little here...;)

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    And how does this address Jackson's claim that he did what he was supposed to do and the team doctor quit before turning his paperwork in on time?
    If we assume that what he says is true (a big qualifier), then I see it as similar to some clients I have had that are charged with driving on suspended tag/registration. They know the deadline for the expiration, and although they swear that they sent the paperwork and money on time, they never got the sticker back for their tag; but still were driving on those tags. "I figured I did my part and the MVA screwed up." Except it is you that pays the penalty; and you knew you could not drive on that registration.

Again, if we assume it is for the same condition as last year; and he took the hit for it then; how does it repeat this year. HR, may very well be right. The story Asa tells is more sympathetic. Shining a light on it raises serious questions, though.
    Captain Offense